hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest rowellpdr

I too have a Dudl2 (intentional spelling!) with charging problems. Just been on the phone to Tesco and they are now saying the update won't be released until 5/1/15.

Guest Pipedreambomb

Surely that's illogical? If they released the update now and there was a problem it would affect a smaller number of devices AND they would have time to fix it before Christmas.

Well I don't think we can have it both ways... They clearly haven't done enough testing up to this point - or else they'd have found this issue sooner - so I don't think the best course is to release an update that they haven't had time to develop and test properly.

Speaking of updates, I've had a thought on why factory reset seems to temporarily fix the issue. Is it possible that when you do so, it resets the OS to the factory version without the bug, and then in the days following it updates itself, at which point the bug reoccurs?

In other words, what if the bug is introduced in a particular OTA update, e.g. the November 4th update which is what my Hudl is currently running on?

I can't see a way to disable automatic updates right now. Perhaps there's an option in all Android versions that I don't know about. But it seems worth exploring, right?

Guest OneSock

Are you folks only ever using the bundled charger? I once used a different one and from what I remember that was around the time I got the charging issue. Coincidence?

Guest Clever Trevor

I've used several different chargers and a few USB ports on PC's. All have the same problem. My Hudl 2 is now refusing to charge if the battery percentage goes under 37%. And, the battery only lasts for up to 5 hours if used continually, browsing, games and watching films. Is this normal for a modern tablet? I think not!

Considering I bought my first Hudl 2 back in October and at that time told Tesco's about the charging problem (of course they denied any knowledge of the problem then), if they had listened and taken it seriously two months ago, they could have brought out an update by now. All the Hudl 2 Christmas present receivers wouldn't even know the problems existed.

I wonder what Tesco's are going to tell the hoards of complainers after Christmas!!!

Guest OneSock

From what I understand the hudl 2 charger uses different ampage to most normal ones, I wonder if using one causes it to treat the bundled charger as the low ampage ones...

Guest rowellpdr

Interesting... I have three Hudl charges - two of them show charging taking place with (AC) the third which is rated at 2.1A and not 2.0A shows (USB) when plugged in to the Hudl2. All three show (AC) when used with the Hudl1.

Guest baronsaturday

I've had this problem now. Been charging it with the power off for five hours now and it's not fully charged.

Edited by baronsaturday

Guest welshblob

Had a charging issue before but I have used other usb cable with the hudl2 charger and it works 100%, maybe cables are faulty? Worth checking guys.

I've been using a couple of very reliable blackberry chargers and still get issues. Tesco appear to have acknowledged the issue and we'll wait to see if that fixes it.

Guest Jabbitt

My Hudl2 has now started playing up. It had a few instances where it would charge to 98% and then stop. But the last few days it doesn't actually charge when plugged in.

The screen says charging and on AC power but the percentage never increases.

Now last night I plugged it in on 55% and left it a few minutes and despite the red light coming on, there was no charge. Simple Battery Graph showed the battery level charging but staying at a constant 55%.

I forced a reboot by holding down the power button. Once it finished android reported charging with a value of 57%. Everything returned to normal.

To me this says that the hardware is charging the battery but the software is not reporting it properly. My father's Hudl2 and his friend next door have also had random bouts of not charging.

I have informed them off the incoming patch otherwise Tesco will end up with more returns!

Guest Keeping Up

Jabbit, I'd be willing to bet that if you hadn't rebooted, it wouldn't have charged the battery any further no matter how long you left it plugged in.

QLF, the exact same issues appear whether you use the correct charger or the one from the original Hudl

Anyone - do you KNOW if there is actually any difference between the Hudl charger and the Hudl 2 charger, apart from the obviously different shape?

Guest mayburyds

Hi, I seem to have sorted the charging problem on my Hudl 2. Might be just a coincidence though.

I waited till I got a message saying I needed to plug in the charger. When I did that it starting charging as it should. I waited till it was fully charged then let it run down a bit then plugged in the charger and it started charging as it should.

Been ok for the last couple of days.

Cheers.

Guest slarti99

Let's be clear here. The only 'fix' for this problem is for Tesco to release an update that ensures the Hudl2 recognises it's charger in all conditions. Workarounds are not an acceptable solution.

Update will be available on 5th Jan according to Tesco support who I spoke to just now.

He said the patch will primarily fix the charging issue, sure hope it does as Ive got 2 of these and they are both experiencing the charging issues.

Guest Pipedreambomb

Update will be available on 5th Jan according to Tesco support who I spoke to just now.

He said the patch will primarily fix the charging issue, sure hope it does as Ive got 2 of these and they are both experiencing the charging issues.

Good work, thanks for updating us.

So the update is primarily to fix the charging issue. I guess we weren't all crazy after all. Who knew.

Guest Pipedreambomb

[edit] oh dear the new modaco mobile interface double posts. I pressed the button once and nothing seemed to happen for a few seconds, so I did it again.

Edited by Pipedreambomb

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Let's be clear here. The only 'fix' for this problem is for Tesco to release an update that ensures the Hudl2 recognises it's charger in all conditions. Workarounds are not an acceptable solution.

This is a user forum. If you want to make demands about acceptable solutions then call Tesco. If you ask on here all you're going to get are workarounds. If you don't want a workaround, don't ask on here.

Guest Clever Trevor

Strangely enough, my Hudl 2 has been charging OK for the last couple of days, and the clock's not gone wrong either. Have Tesco's released a secret update to fix our Hudl's??? Anyone else noticed if their Hudl 2's are charging etc normally now?

Guest Pipedreambomb

Yeah, I didn't want to rub it in, but mine has been fine for a few days too!

No there was no update according to the Hudl updates page in Settings. It's running an OS update from October, and a kernel from September.

No idea why it's improved.

Guest Pipedreambomb

Very weird. Only theory I can come up with is one of the built-in apps was causing the bug, and it got updated recently. Or maybe something like Google Play Services got patched to work better with Intel chips.

Or is it just a weird coincidence that three of us have noticed an improvement. Who here still has the charging issue?

Edited by Pipedreambomb

Guest Pipedreambomb

Well just had to reboot mine.....

Placebo effect

You had to reboot it because it wouldn't charge?

All I know for sure is (checking my battery monitor) my Hudl was powered on and charging for the last two nights. I haven't powered it off since Sunday night, and it's now Wednesday evening.