Am A Bit Stuck...

Guest IAmTheDude

Guest IAmTheDude

Hi

Sorry to bother you all but I may have a problem.

Ive been tinkering with my Hudl, mainly having a play with ROMs and the flash tools.

Ive been able to extract and play around with the /system img (adding & removing etc) and flash it back successfully using rkbatchtool.

I then thought Id take a look at Helios and flashed it with rkflashtool. All good.

Decided to reflash back to the rooted stock w/cwm and this is where I hit the problem.

It flashes ok in rkbatch tool but instead of the usual disconnect and show the battery charging screen, it just sticks on the 'Powered By Android' logo.

After a reset with a paperclip it booted to CWM which doesnt seem to be working properly now (cant mount /cache errors etc)

I can flash using rkflashtool no problem but cant get anything working with rkbatchtool. It appears I have mucked something up by changing between the two tools as now I cant flash anything with rkbatchtool.

Any one able to point me in the right direction?

Ideally just hoping to get back to using the rkbatchtool to put the stock 1.3.1 rooted with CWM back on it and stop playing with the ruddy thing :)

;solved;

So, seems like when I was switching between the two tools the Hudl needed some 'quiet time' after flashing the stock rooted 1.3.1 back with rkbatchtools.

I left it on charge sat on the 'Powered by Android' screen by the bed and have just heard the tingle boot sound and watched the Hudl boot logo appear.

Took almost an hour but it seems like its back to normal for now. Must.Resist.Urge.To.Fiddle....

Edited by IAmTheDude

okay, some questions first:

1.) what computer OS are you using?

2.) have you altered the partition sizes on the hudl at all?

3.) have you tried a backup/copy of the original recovery and system?

EDIT: nevermind! glad you sorted it!

Edited by flurry

Guest IAmTheDude

okay, some questions first:

1.) what computer OS are you using?

2.) have you altered the partition sizes on the hudl at all?

3.) have you tried a backup/copy of the original recovery and system?

EDIT: nevermind! glad you sorted it!

I'm still not sure its 100% though.

Couldn't help myself and flashed a modified .img (that I knew booted, was working on it other day) and it get 'stuck' at the Hudl logo.

I'd class it as a bootloop but I don't have adb access at this point to check (red flag, usually do)

Windows 7 x64, all drivers installed and working etc

This is what Ive been doing, see if you can spot any mistakes in my methods:

Extracting the stock, rooted 1.3.1 w/CWM .img using imgRePackerRK

Mounting system.img using OSFMount

Using Ext2Fsd-0.53 as drivers to edit the system.img (other ext drivers gave me BSOD when writing)

Removing and added a few files here and there etc

Dismounting though OSFMount

Repacking through imgRePackerRK

Flashing repacked .img through rkbatchtools

When I first started playing this worked fine and had a nice little 'custom' system.img I was using.

Then I read up Helios, which lead me to the kitchen, which lead me to failing miserably with my poor Linux skills  <_< 

I flashed Helios using the rkflashtool (In Windows) to have a look at the init.d side of things and how it was working on the Hudl.

This is where it all fell down.

When I flash the unmodifed stock rooted through rkbatchtool its like it isnt 'taking' it.

Is it possible that flashing Helios has altered my partitions? I noticed that the boot and kernal .imgs are different sizes?

I can flash Helios and even an old stock .img as long as its through rkflashtool and they boot within seconds.

Its flashing through rkbatchtool that seems to be giving me jip.

Ive an CWM backup from when I first flashed so will see if that recovers properly first then try flashing stock rooted 1.3.1 again.

;edit; CWM backup of the original stock, rooted 1.3.1 w/CWM restores fine so things must be 'ok'.

Gonna try redoing a custom system.img from scratch and flashing through rkbatchtools again, see if it works.

;edit2;

So, started from absolute scratch. Carefully redid a system.img, repacked and flashed. This time, manually wiping /system, /data, /cache and /boot in CWM before adbing into bootloader.

Flashed and booted first time.

Did another system.img with some other changes and wiped everything manually in CWM again. Flashed and booted.

Tired flashing the same img again over the tip of itself without manually wiping and boom - Stuck in bootloop.

Seems my Hudl needs to be manually wiped now everytime before flashing for some reason. Before I just had to do a factory reset or wipe /data in CWM, now it looks like it need /boot wiping as well.

Either way, I am back to a working booting rom again with the changes I wanted to make to it. This time with a working CWM backup I can restore to without using rkbatchtools.

Now, if I can just get the ruddy kitchen working I can can add stuff like init.d and am absolutely golden.

Edited by IAmTheDude

here's the original hudl partition map (starting address and length):

./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00002000 0x00002000 > hudl_misc.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00004000 0x00004000 > hudl_kernel.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00008000 0x00008000 > hudl_boot.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00010000 0x00010000 > hudl_recovery.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00020000 0x00020000 > hudl_backup.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00040000 0x00100000 > hudl_cache.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00140000 0x00002000 > hudl_kpanic.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00142000 0x00200000 > hudl_system.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00342000 0x00020000 > hudl_factory.img

I think my first step would be to see if your partitions match these. It may be possible that Helios has changed the partition sizes - I can't say I've tried using the Helios rom.

I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with windows, and as such haven't used RKbatchtool - only RKflashtool on linux. It maybe worth picking one tool and sticking with it? Though I thought they were both executing the same command line tools, just on different OS's?

Guest IAmTheDude

here's the original hudl partition map (starting address and length):

./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00002000 0x00002000 > hudl_misc.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00004000 0x00004000 > hudl_kernel.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00008000 0x00008000 > hudl_boot.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00010000 0x00010000 > hudl_recovery.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00020000 0x00020000 > hudl_backup.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00040000 0x00100000 > hudl_cache.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00140000 0x00002000 > hudl_kpanic.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00142000 0x00200000 > hudl_system.img
./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00342000 0x00020000 > hudl_factory.img

I think my first step would be to see if your partitions match these. It may be possible that Helios has changed the partition sizes - I can't say I've tried using the Helios rom.

I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with windows, and as such haven't used RKbatchtool - only RKflashtool on linux. It maybe worth picking one tool and sticking with it? Though I thought they were both executing the same command line tools, just on different OS's?

I will definitely use these for comparison in the future, if I can figure out how to do it on Windows...

I presumed that the tools do the same thing as well but I'm also overlooking the fact I may just have a 'finicky' device and it just needs a rest :)

ATM the rom is working fine, no FC's or bootloops and I have my Hudl pretty much how I want it. Anything else (init.d etc) were just added bonuses. Also a nice dive into flashing a Rockchip device etc and learnt a few things :)

I given the Hudl after my nephew upped to a Hudl2 which is also a bonus so its become more of a 'throw-around' device. Was never happy about my Nexus 7 3G leaving the house but am very happy with the Hudl!