Why are no Hudl2 reviewers reporting problems?

Guest SilverDad

Guest SilverDad

I see there are a whole new bunch of Hudl2 reviews out on the net.

The closest I've seen to criticism is one review mentioned that the battery life only matches Tesco claim if you do nothing with your Hudl2.

I can understand that Tesco can control reviews on their own web-site. Though I question their use of the word "review" if they ban any negative comment. But what about all these other reviewers? Are they all in the pay of Tesco?

In reality, I'm not aware of anyone who uses a Hudl2 who doesn't have to reboot the device at least daily.

Guest George Styles

I havent done a review, but im  not seeing what u r at all. Bought mine months ago, and its waaaaay better than i was expecting.

It has on one occasion turned off and refused to turn on (booted into recovery and rebooted and it was fine), and it has rebooted itself about twice.

Apart from that, its been 100% stable. In use, it feels the same kind of speed as my (late!) Galaxy Note 3. Every piece of software ive tried has worked (despite being Atom not Arm based).

Emulators work well on it, as do native games.

Mine is stock, unrooted, but with Apex launcher and not the tesco one.

The Tesco stuff stays out of my way.

The battery life isnt great, but its a "indoors" device anyway for me.

The ES file explorer workround for the "KitKat cant write to SD issue" seems to work on this device too (unlike my Sony Z3 Grrrrr!)

So the reason its not criticized is that there is nothing wrong :) i would have been delighted with this thing if it had been £200

george

Guest SilverDad

Seriously? You have a Hudl 2 and you never have to reboot it to charge it? You never notice that the clock mysteriously loses a few hours? You never find that although it says WiFi is connected, it will not transfer any data.

To say the battery life isn't great is an understatement - the battery life is worse than any of the other seven Android devices I have access to.

As to the bugs, the charging issue has been acknowledged by Tesco. How can you never see this?

Guest Mark_He

It's not that those issues don't exist, but they're not universal, often only intermittent, and hard to pin down. I've only had one charge failure, no clock issues, and if I'd never read about it I'd have written it off as a random event. A given reviewer may not be mentioning issues because they've simply never encountered them.

On the battery life, I never believe claimed battery life anyway...

Guest welshblob

Bought mine the day it came out and I've had to reboot ~3 times for it to charge and only had the clock issue once .... which I'm sure appeared as I read it on here. Battery life isn't brilliant but I also use it primarily indoors and charge it at night.

I'm also really impressed with it from a performance and price perspective compared to my previous tablets and if they fix the cloud and charging issues then it will only be better. I've bought 2 as Christmas presents I liked them that much. 

Guest seanspotatobusiness

As has been suggested already the charging/time issues are too intermittent (at least for me) for a reviewer to notice in a single week of use. I didn't notice until I'd owned the tablet a couple of months.

Guest I am eusty

To the OP, which reviews? My guess is that if you have one to review then the time you have to play with it is limited, so the issue might not occur during this time.

I've two if them, one has no issues the other maybe only once or twice a week it plays up.

Guest JamieH02

The Performance far exceeded my expectation!

It replaced my N7(2013) as I wanted a Bigger Screen, So far performance has been the same if not better!
I would gladly recommend this tablet even If the updates don't happen often or at all. 

Seriously? You have a Hudl 2 and you never have to reboot it to charge it? You never notice that the clock mysteriously loses a few hours? You never find that although it says WiFi is connected, it will not transfer any data.

To say the battery life isn't great is an understatement - the battery life is worse than any of the other seven Android devices I have access to.

As to the bugs, the charging issue has been acknowledged by Tesco. How can you never see this?

I agree with everyone else that the battery life is poor unless the device is left idle. But I too do not have the charging issues, my clock has never lost a few hours, and it has never failed to transfer data via WiFi.

Guest sp1nc3r

I've only had the recharge issue once although I have now taken to turning it off to charge as I don't want to run the risk of being faced with and uncharged tablet when I want to use it. Battery life on mine is fine even with GPS & WIFI on all the time, I've had no WIFI issues and not encountered the problem with the clock.

Guest SilverDad

Interesting responses. But I wonder how many of you who never see the problems actually use your Hudl2. No offence, but when I see comments like "indoors device" or "turn it off to recharge", I'm afraid you're not really using your tablet. That's not a criticism - you're entitled to use the device how you see fit.

I admit, I'm the other extreme. I am a power user: I expect to be able to pick up the tablet in the morning and find it fully charged; I expect to be able to pick up items where I left off - not having had to reboot it. I expect the tablet to be able to run most of the day on battery. The tablet should be able to handle many email accounts; sync news items and control audio systems. It should be able stream video (or at least control a ChromeCast) without suddenly stopping claiming no network. I want to run Remote Desktop Sessions for hours. Of an evening, I expect to plug the HUDL into a digital piano and use various music apps. Alternatively, I want to be able to take it outside of an evening as use Stellarium or Google Sky to navigate the stars.

Quite simply, the Hudl2 cannot do this.

I'm probably not the target market for a Hudl2 - Tesco probably don't expect someone to use the device all day. Instead, they probably just want a customer who fires the device up of an evening; orders their groceries; watches a lo-res movie from Blinkbox and then puts the tablet back down.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to like the Hudl2. But just because it's cheap, I'm not going to go all fanboy and make excuses for it. It is not cheap if it doesn't work. It costs me time every time I have to reboot it - that is starting to make the Hudl2 look expensive.

I realised last week that I'd had enough when I switched to my aging Transformer - the Hudl2 is much faster; it does have a tremendous screen (despite the dodgy dpi setting); it has pretty good sound (oddly most reviewers seem to dislike the sound!) - but ultimately, I can pick up the Transformer and know it has charged; I know I can take it out for the day without extra battery packs and I know it will not suddenly stop talking to a server because the clock has jumped or the Wi-Fi has had a wobbly.

The bugs are real: Tesco have acknowledging some and enough others have seen the others for it not to be a local issue.

Finally: Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to sound critical of anyone who has responded here: I think the responses are really interesting. For me, as a tablet user of over 10 years (yes I had one of the original Fujitsu Windows slates) and a PDA user for much longer, these devices are integrated into my life. For me, they have to work.

Guest Mark_He

Interesting responses. But I wonder how many of you who never see the problems actually use your Hudl2. No offence, but when I see comments like "indoors device" or "turn it off to recharge", I'm afraid you're not really using your tablet. That's not a criticism - you're entitled to use the device how you see fit.

I admit, I'm the other extreme. I am a power user: I expect to be able to pick up the tablet in the morning and find it fully charged; I expect to be able to pick up items where I left off - not having had to reboot it. I expect the tablet to be able to run most of the day on battery. The tablet should be able to handle many email accounts; sync news items and control audio systems. It should be able stream video (or at least control a ChromeCast) without suddenly stopping claiming no network. I want to run Remote Desktop Sessions for hours. Of an evening, I expect to plug the HUDL into a digital piano and use various music apps. Alternatively, I want to be able to take it outside of an evening as use Stellarium or Google Sky to navigate the stars.

I'm probably not the target market for a Hudl2 - Tesco probably don't expect someone to use the device all day. Instead, they probably just want a customer who fires the device up of an evening; orders their groceries; watches a lo-res movie from Blinkbox and then puts the tablet back down.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to like the Hudl2. But just because it's cheap, I'm not going to go all fanboy and make excuses for it. It is not cheap if it doesn't work. It costs me time every time I have to reboot it - that is starting to make the Hudl2 look expensive.

I realised last week that I'd had enough when I switched to my aging Transformer - the Hudl2 is much faster; it does have a tremendous screen (despite the dodgy dpi setting); it has pretty good sound (oddly most reviewers seem to dislike the sound!) - but ultimately, I can pick up the Transformer and know it has charged; I know I can take it out for the day without extra battery packs and I know it will not suddenly stop talking to a server because the clock has jumped or the Wi-Fi has had a wobbly.

The bugs are real: Tesco have acknowledging some and enough others have seen the others for it not to be a local issue.

Finally: Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to sound critical of anyone who has responded here: I think the responses are really interesting. For me, as a tablet user of over 10 years (yes I had one of the original Fujitsu Windows slates) and a PDA user for much longer, these devices are integrated into my life. For me, they have to work.

Ummm, you're going with "No true Scotsman" here? Really?

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Ummm, you're going with "No true Scotsman" here? Really?

I don't think he's making a logical error. He's just saying that it doesn't last as long on its battery compared to his previous tablet and that the less you use it the less you're going to notice the intermittent charging and time problems but that should be obvious. He's clearly a heavy user and by comparison many of us are not. I'd say I'm only medium but I still have to keep an eye on its charge. It really needs to be accompanied by an external battery pack (this is the best offer I've found that doesn't come from eBay or a dodgy company) if you're going to use it a lot while away from an electrical outlet but that's not always practical.

I read on this forum that 5710 mAh is a reasonable battery capacity and that the processor may be responsible for squandering it. I'm not sure whether an update can rectify that.

Guest twelve83

i'm on my second hudl 2,both have had the non charging issue and clock problems. would have sent second one back but assured buy tesco that there was a fix for these problems coming on the 15 DECEMBER now 16th .will be sending back for refund . whats the point in having a tablet that needs rebooting to charge reliably ,when there are so many other good quality tablets around . pity tesco helplines after christmas if they don't get this problem fixed .

Guest targetbsp

The only problem I had with mine are the screen protectors are utter pants.  They sent me a second lot. And then just refunded me.  So I can't really complain.

The battery life isn't great but that's not really a 'fault' - and reviews I've read have noted that.  The performance is utterly astonishing for the money though.

Guest JamieH02

-SNIP-

I am an super extreme user(as I've been called on Reddit) so I use my Hudl2 98% of the time.

Never had issues with Wifi or Chromecast (Which I stream HD TwitchTV, Play Movies, Blinkbox, Youtube etc) and I've not once had a wifi issue.

I will admit I've had the Clock issue once but I've got multiple devices so I just check on them to make sure, If needed.

I am not the target market either, Given I can burn through even the best devices. LG G2 doesn't often last me even a day nor does my Samsung TabPro 12.2".

The LG G2 isn't the biggest device for me so Long periods of using that I just can't stand, The TabPro 12.2" is too much to lug around for long periods(So It's very much a home tablet) but The Hudl2 is pretty portable to me, Decent screen size whilst not being too large to hold 1 Handed.

I don't run any bad apps(Task mangers, Facebook crap, Antivirus etc None of that junk) so I very much doubt its apps fault, Just my extreme usage.

No device will ever last me a day of my usage unless well.. I'm not using it.

Edited by JamieH02

Guest SilverDad

For those that are interested...

I finally got through to helpful people at Tesco. All three faults I listed are known. Not all devices suffer, but they can give no reason why or any way of determining whether you'll get a faulty one.

There is an update to fix them, but this has now been delayed until after Christmas "in case it causes other problems". (Which itself doesn't say a lot for Tesco's development and test team)

And at Tesco Direct returns, they are apparently getting a large number of returns due to the faults and due to really poor battery life. Mine will now join that number.

Guest welshblob

There is an update to fix them, but this has now been delayed until after Christmas "in case it causes other problems". (Which itself doesn't say a lot for Tesco's development and test team)

Thanks for the update. The above is a standard risk adverse policy, better the devil you know. 

Guest targetbsp

As a developer... seems rather sensible to me?  Releasing an update and then having your devs buggering off for 2 weeks for Christmas doesn't seem smart!

Guest sp1nc3r

I've only had the recharge issue once although I have now taken to turning it off to charge as I don't want to run the risk of being faced with and uncharged tablet when I want to use it. Battery life on mine is fine even with GPS & WIFI on all the time, I've had no WIFI issues and not encountered the problem with the clock.

Well after this comment, turned it off to charge and when I came to unplug it several hours later the red/green light wasn't even on. Turned the Hudl on without adjusting the power cable and the red light came on and it started charging. So even turning it off to charge isn't a sure fire method of getting it to charge.

I do use mine a fair bit but I don't suppose I would be classed as a power user. I guess I tend to give the odd issue some leeway because of the price. I can see your point though, OP, as it was marketed as a tablet that could be used as your primary device. Hopefully the software update, when it arrives, will make a positive difference.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest glossywhite

I admit, I'm the other extreme. I am a power user: I expect to be able to pick up the tablet in the morning and find it fully charged; I expect to be able to pick up items where I left off - not having had to reboot it. I expect the tablet to be able to run most of the day on battery. The tablet should be able to handle many email accounts; sync news items and control audio systems. It should be able stream video (or at least control a ChromeCast) without suddenly stopping claiming no network. I want to run Remote Desktop Sessions for hours. Of an evening, I expect to plug the HUDL into a digital piano and use various music apps. Alternatively, I want to be able to take it outside of an evening as use Stellarium or Google Sky to navigate the stars.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to like the Hudl2. But just because it's cheap, I'm not going to go all fanboy and make excuses for it. It is not cheap if it doesn't work. It costs me time every time I have to reboot it - that is starting to make the Hudl2 look expensive.

Finally: Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to sound critical of anyone who has responded here: I think the responses are really interesting. For me, as a tablet user of over 10 years (yes I had one of the original Fujitsu Windows slates) and a PDA user for much longer, these devices are integrated into my life. For me, they have to work.

You are - quite possibly - one of the most to-the-point, concise and rational members I have seen commenting on Modaco IN YEARS. Most members are unable to articulate the very simplest of gramatically fundamental sentences, and if they can, they either fervently defend X, Y or Z product as if it were their wife, or become irrational and defensive (the default stance, it would seem, for geeks) and veer off-topic into ad-hominem attacks, and STILL don't answer the questions asked of them OR manage to address the problems being put to them to solve or discuss (which is kind of the point of a specific forum... >_<).

I see you appear to live very much grounded, and live in the real world, where you - perfectly reasonably - expect a product to just get on with what you bought it for (most probably BECAUSE you bought it for a specific purpose and have a clear plan for it as a tool, instead of just buying one to futz about with for no real reason) and then get out of the way so you can live life and earn money. These points appear to be entirely lost on the majority of tech "reviewers" and geeks who's only mission is to obsess over the latest device, without having a real world context within which to use said device(s) in the manner in which any sane, rational working person, would.

Have you considered conducting proper reviews? You really do seem like a no bullshit, straight talking man who knows what to expect of his technology, and doesn't fawn over something just because the rest of the internet are currently heavily obsessed with it, and therefore biased to the extreme. Maybe you would consider doing one as a trial? Your to-the-point concise, knowledgeable manner puts MANY "reviewers" to shame - I enjoyed that post, and I whole-heartedly agree with you on everything mentioned. A great deal of people talk a great deal of hot, useless air - you don't seem to be in that class - I thank you :)

Edited by glossywhite