WIFI Direct on permanently

Guest M3DD3RS

Guest M3DD3RS

I got my wife a Hudl 2 for christmas, ever since I've seen a strong SSID called DIRECT-  (using a WIFI analyzer app on my phone).

On investigation I've found this to be the Hudl 2, I can't find any options to turn this off in the settings anywhere.

If I go into the WIFI Direct settings and out again it does stop it temporarily.

Surely this isn't normal behaviour no other android device in the house does this.

How do I turn it off permanently? 

Guest aerostar

Settings - wifi - far right  on the wifi line (one with on/0ff) 3 vertical dots, should get a drop down list - scan, wps pin entry, wi-fi direct, advanced.

WIFI DIrect -If there are any entries in the remembered groups tap and select forget, same with peer devices.

It could be that your android phone wants to connect and when it does, the Direct SSID appears. Have a look at your Android phone WIFI etc

I tried this with H1 and H2 and the H2 does show an SSID with Direct in the name, and I can see that SSID on my my phone.

Guest benzodiazepines

This seems to be normal behaviour in Android AOSP. My Galaxy S4 (running an AOSP ROM) does the same thing, if you go into WiFi direct settings it only gives you the option to rename the device and gives you a list of peer devices it finds, and indeed my Sony TV is listed, and there is no option to turn it off. Android keeps WiFi direct on as long as WiFi itself is on in AOSP from ICS onwards. I would guess when you scan it shows up because whatever scanning software you're using also looks for direct devices.

Shouldn't be anything to worry about really. For someone to actually connect to it you would need authorisation on your end. The authorisation protocol used is WPA2 so it's secure.

If you really want to disable it permanently I'm guessing it's possible somehow with root.