Do your icons keep moving or disappearing? Solution within

Guest seanspotatobusiness

I notice people keep posting about their icons moving after they restart or maybe spontaneously (I don't recall). In any case it's a problem caused by the Tesco "Value" launcher. If you install another launcher from the Google Play store then this won't happen any more. I recommend the Go Launcher but Nova is also a popular choice and there are many others.

Edit: I figure I should edit this into the first post in case people don't read my later post. I've spent some time trying different launchers recently, namely Apex, Go, Nova and Smart Launcher 2. Of the free versions I prefer Go because it lets you have folders in your app drawer which is a feature only granted in paid versions of the others. It's a pretty useful basic feature to reduce the amount of time you spend searching for a particular app. Of the paid versions (£2.50) I prefer Nova because it lets you have folders within folders and lets you have the same icons in different folders in the app drawer. Smart Launcher 2 also looked pretty nice and minimalistic but you need the paid version in order to customise the app drawer folders and to have homescreens where you can place widgets.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

They do try to get you to download their other stuff. If that's what you mean by bloated then I concede, but otherwise, if you mean just the launcher itself, I disagree. There are also a bunch of homescreen transitions you can choose from but nothing forces you to delve into the settings and I like the default just fine. I've tried Go and Nova and I preferred Go but I did also point out Nova.

What launcher do  you recommend and why? Which have you tried and how long for? I'm no expert - I was just trying to help after noticing a few people mentioning the problem and realising people weren't reading the relevant posts buried in other threads.

Guest GOMDroid

For what little it might be worth I offer this observation:

I have an old N700. I used Go launcher and was very happy with it indeed, however even though I ran it in a minimal configuration, there was a point in it's development when it was simply too big for the device to manage (badly set up memory on the device by the maker was the true culprit there).

Anyway when that became a problem I switched to Holo launcher and I have to say that has served very well indeed given the requirement to have something truly compact with a little style about it so as to make it truly useable.

I guess if you want a light weight one you could do worse than to audition it and see if if could deliver for you in the same way.

I'm not sure there is a huge point in doing that on a Hudl2 though. I'm fairly happy with that as it came out of the box, especially since the recent update of a week or two back. Not prefect, but not much is!

If another launcher does solve a problem with moving icons then that might mean there is more point, but I have not so far seen that problem, and long may that continue!

Edited by GOMDroid

I'm currently using the free version of Nova on the HUDL2 and am very happy with it. I'm using Nova on my phone too (HTC One X) and have also tried the Google Now launcher which works very well on the phone, but not tried that on the HUDL2.

I don't actually mind the Tesco launcher, but for the one fault of it keep losing screen icons and icons within folders. Most annoying, but at least there is a way around it.

Guest GOMDroid

"Instead of" as far as I know, when pressing the home symbol it might at first ask you which launcher to use.

You often get offered a choice to make it just once or until further notice. I usually get to know a launcher before making it full time.

If you uninstall a new launcher then it starts to ask which one to use again, once there are more than one to choose from, of course. You soon get the hang of that.

Now please understand that on my newer devices where I did not need a new launcher, this may have changed a little here and there in the details and if anyone can add to my advice here then it would be a good thing. I am simply relating what happened on my first droid (a Linx N700 running Eclair).

Edited by GOMDroid

thanks GOMDroid,

I've used an alternative launcher in the past (HTC wildfire with CyanogenMod) but I wasn't sure if selecting a new one, would prevent the old one from being loaded into memory.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent some time trying different launchers recently, namely Apex, Go, Nova and Smart Launcher 2. Of the free versions I prefer Go because it lets you have folders in your app drawer which is a feature only granted in paid versions of the others. Of the paid versions (£2.50) I prefer Nova because it lets you have folders within folders and lets you have the same icons in different folders in the app drawer. Smart Launcher 2 also looked pretty nice and minimalistic but you need the paid version in order to customise the app drawer folders and to have homescreens where you can place widgets.