China Phone Discussion [Part 2]

Guest SlyUK

Guest SlyUK

Out of interest, do you think the Xiaomi Mi3 is still a worthwhile purchase ?

http://www.ibuygou.com/p-xiaomi-mi3-snapdragon-800-quad-core-23ghz-2gb-ram-64gb-rom-5519.html

CM12.1 OptiCancro (Lollipop 5.1.1) is available for it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/development/rom-opticancro-t3099530

As is complementary custom kernel - Stellar:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/development/kernel-stellar-kernel-mi3-t3093399

For example. So whats not to love, except may be no 4G LTE.

Edited by SlyUK

Guest Maringer

Not personally. The Note is too big for me and I think the Nubia Z9 Mini is overpriced considering it is just a Snapdragon 615 device. All the recent Nubia phones have been higher-powered Snapdragons with Krait cores, not the weaker Cortex-A53 cores in the Z9 Mini. I just think it is a little too expensive for what it is.

Guest Maringer

Personally, I almost bit and nearly ordered a Coolpad X7 last night.

However, after searching around, it became impossible to find an English-language review of the phone. The Russian 4PDA site has a brief review in the forum which is mostly positive, but I've been reading through the (badly-translated) Coolpad forums and it seems there is a heat problem with the phone. Not too sure whether this is true for both versions of the phone (the MT6595 with 2GB memory and dual 4G and a Snapdragon 801 with 3GB memory and single active 4G), or if it is just an issue with a recent software update.

I'd be tempted by the Snapdragon 801 version if there wasn't a heat issue though the other issue then would be whether an update to Android L will ever appear.

Edited by Maringer

Guest dalyer

Is anyone here buying the Lenovo K3 Note 

Very tempted but I think I'll try to resist and stick with Coolpad F1 for now. :-)

Is anyone here buying the Lenovo K3 Note or the ZTE Nubia Z9 Mini in the near future ?

Yes, I've just ordered the Lenovo K3 note from To2c.com

It has just been marked as dispatched today.

Guest SlyUK

Is it being dispatched from EU Warehouse or from China ?

This phone is definitely on my radar, I hope its as awesome as people make it out to be.

Guest SlyUK

Very tempted but I think I'll try to resist and stick with Coolpad F1 for now. :-)

How long have you had the Coolpad F1, and how are Coolpad with respect to OTA updates ?

Is it being dispatched from EU Warehouse or from China ?

This phone is definitely on my radar, I hope its as awesome as people make it out to be.

Its coming from China ($165) via EU airmail (Netherlands post(?).

Delivery time is 7-14 working days.

Guest SlyUK

Its coming from China ($165) via EU airmail (Netherlands post(?).

Delivery time is 7-14 working days.

Excellent. Did you have to pay anything for EU airmail (Netherlands Post) ?

Excellent. Did you have to pay anything for EU airmail (Netherlands Post) ?

No, it was listed as a free postage option. I could have chosen Singapore HK post as well but the estimated delivery time was much longer. I don't know if EU airmail option is more likely to incur customs charges though. I took the option that to2c.com offer of repacking the phone without the original box so it looks less like a complete new purchase (supposed to help stop customs charges, and knocks $1 off the final price :) ) and they said they would mark the package as low value.

Guest SlyUK

No, it was listed as a free postage option. I could have chosen Singapore HK post as well but the estimated delivery time was much longer. I don't know if EU airmail option is more likely to incur customs charges though. I took the option that to2c.com offer of repacking the phone without the original box so it looks less like a complete new purchase (supposed to help stop customs charges, and knocks $1 off the final price :) ) and they said they would mark the package as low value.

Of guessing as its free shipping, its more in your favour that you won't, as opposed to a courier service/delivered parcel that would. Just a thought could be completely wrong though.

Guest dalyer

How long have you had the Coolpad F1, and how are Coolpad with respect to OTA updates ?

Have it a while but only using it daily recently.

I don't use Coolpad's ROMs (CoolUI).

I prefer custom AOSP.

But I think they're coming out with an Android L CoolUI ROM in a few weeks/months?

Guest lufyKA

Lenovo K3 Note is only $156.99 usd with coupon code:k3note on vifocal, looks pretty, i'm thinking of purchasing it. :P

Lenovo K3 Note is only $156.99 usd with coupon code:k3note on vifocal, looks pretty, i'm thinking of purchasing it. :P

Mine is in transit. It's coming with a "free" case and screen protectors too. In the reviews on the to2c.com the sellers were promising to send free car chargers and other goodies with it too if the buyer had requested it. Not sure how true that it though. Hope to receive it next week. Still looking to see if I can find a pure android rom somewhere.

Guest SlyUK

Have it a while but only using it daily recently.

I don't use Coolpad's ROMs (CoolUI).

I prefer custom AOSP.

But I think they're coming out with an Android L CoolUI ROM in a few weeks/months?

Good to know, thanks :)

Guest SlyUK

Mine is in transit. It's coming with a "free" case and screen protectors too. In the reviews on the to2c.com the sellers were promising to send free car chargers and other goodies with it too if the buyer had requested it. Not sure how true that it though. Hope to receive it next week. Still looking to see if I can find a pure android rom somewhere.

If you find a custom rom for the Lenovo then please post it. I'm assuming you will have to root it first and install TWRP ?

My Lenovo K3 Note has arrived!

Ordered from here: http://www.to2c.com/lenovo-k3-note-2g-ram-16g-rom.html

I used free European registered post option which was actually Netherlands post. It took 11 days to arrive, no customs charges.

I took the option to2c.com offer of them repacking it without the box. The idea is that it looks less like a new complete purchase that might attract custom charges.

Their re-packing was excellent, probably better protected that the original box. They also included a free car charger and OTG cable (as well as the free case/glass screen protector stated on the web site). They installed Google Play and removed most of the Chinese apps. I would definitely use them again. Tracking data for the package worked after about 5 days and was very good. The postage sticker marked the package as "Phone" with the value of $20.

Not had much of a chance to play with the phone yet. Plenty of reviews on the web give lots of detail so I'm not going to write much here.

It feels like a well built phone (comparing it to my Nexus 4).

GPS fix in the UK took seconds.

Camera seems pretty good.

Screen is great.

I don't like the Vibe OS is comes with but there is an AOSP rom in development on root / custom recovery details here so I'll flash it to that I think http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/ufficial-thread-lenovo-k3-note-t3102997

I've also seen detail of an unofficial Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM in development so fingers crossed for that one.

So far I'm really happy with it!  :D

EDIT: Lenovo K3 Note custom ROMS: http://www.movilesdualsim.com/foros/roms-lenovo-k3.739/

Edited by Guest

Guest SlyUK

My Lenovo K3 Note has arrived!

Ordered from here: http://www.to2c.com/lenovo-k3-note-2g-ram-16g-rom.html

I used free European registered post option which was actually Netherlands post. It took 11 days to arrive, no customs charges.

I took the option to2c.com offer of them repacking it without the box. The idea is that it looks less like a new complete purchase that might attract custom charges.

Their re-packing was excellent, probably better protected that the original box. They also included a free car charger and OTG cable (as well as the free case/glass screen protector stated on the web site). They installed Google Play and removed most of the Chinese apps. I would definitely use them again. Tracking data for the package worked after about 5 days and was very good. The postage sticker marked the package as "Phone" with the value of $20.

Not had much of a chance to play with the phone yet. Plenty of reviews on the web give lots of detail so I'm not going to write much here.

It feels like a well built phone (comparing it to my Nexus 4).

GPS fix in the UK took seconds.

Camera seems pretty good.

Screen is great.

I don't like the Vibe OS is comes with but there is an AOSP rom in development on root / custom recovery details here so I'll flash it to that I think http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/ufficial-thread-lenovo-k3-note-t3102997

I've also seen detail of an unofficial Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM in development so fingers crossed for that one.

So far I'm really happy with it!  :D

EDIT: Lenovo K3 Note custom ROMS: http://www.movilesdualsim.com/foros/roms-lenovo-k3.739/

Thanks so much for informing us with regards to your Lenovo purchase and the potential for customs roms eg CM 12. Sounds exciting, please keep us informed with any developments :)