[Recovery] TWRP 3.0.2-0

Guest KonstaT

Guest elperroderoke

Used Flashify to backup the stock recovery (so I could restore by flashify too) and install TWRP.

I made a System backup, so lets play with xposed.

Regards.

Guest NegativeOne

Used Flashify to backup the stock recovery (so I could restore by flashify too) and install TWRP.

I made a System backup, so lets play with xposed.

Regards.

Let us know how you get on with xposed.the beta versions were laggy but its officially released for most devices on lolipop. Would be interesting to know if it's still laggy or not on the su6.

Guest elperroderoke

Xposed lags phone.. So, enjoy the lag.

You are right, but I prefer root, TWRP and play wiht Xposed and Gravity Box that nice and smooth 60fps bootanimation.

Regards.

Guest elperroderoke

Let us know how you get on with xposed.the beta versions were laggy but its officially released for most devices on lolipop. Would be interesting to know if it's still laggy or not on the su6.

Yes, it lags the phone for sure, but the feeling that if it is more or less lag is yours. Just make a TWRP backup and try. For the use I give to the phone I preffer having Gravity Box and this lag.

Regards.

Guest NegativeOne

Yes, it lags the phone for sure, but the feeling that if it is more or less lag is yours. Just make a TWRP backup and try. For the use I give to the phone I preffer having Gravity Box and this lag.

Regards.

I tried it before and took it off again just as fast. The negatives would hugely outweigh the positives so it looks like I'll be staying stock rooted for another while.

Guest elperroderoke

I tried it before and took it off again just as fast. The negatives would hugely outweigh the positives so it looks like I'll be staying stock rooted for another while.

Il'be trying Xposed, so if in another version I fell is less lagy than now (I understand why you give up Xposed) I will tell you.

Regards.

Edited by elperroderoke

Guest jonathan bowley

To chip in my experiences with Xposed on this phone - on a clean install, with the latest official build, Gravitybox runs smooth as. I was encouraged, so I added my usual 10-15 Xposed modules, but as I started to install my regular apps, it slowed to a crawl, as with the unofficial builds.Then I went back and tried Gravitybox on it's own, but the same thing happened. I tried to stick it out, but after a day, I went back to stock rooted.

Will have to stick with the little changes apps can make - Greenify, Servicely, All in One Gestures and trusty Nova Launcher for now. Also, finding Lux is helpful to reduce the excessive screen brightness. Missing Gravitybox though

Guest elperroderoke

Stock firmware packages also contain bootloader/modem images that you shouldn't be flashing in custom recovery. Good guideline is not to use custom recovery to flash any partitions that you can't backup/restore.

Just want to now your opinion as someone how knows what is doing.

package_extract_file("boot.img", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot");
package_extract_file("NON-HLOS.bin", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modem");
package_extract_file("emmc_appsboot.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/aboot");
package_extract_file("rpm.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/rpm");
package_extract_file("sbl1.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sbl1");
package_extract_file("tz.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/tz");
package_extract_file("sbl1.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sbl1bak");
package_extract_file("tz.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/tzbak");
package_extract_file("rpm.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/rpmbak");
package_extract_file("emmc_appsboot.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abootbak");

Why is more "risky" to flash all the others (assuming they are, bootloader, modem and so on) that boot.img

You don´t need a backup as you have the original ones and restore from TWRP backup is more or less the same as flash the file.

Of course that with loocked bootloader you have to be more carefull, but, any other advice?

Please, take all this as a question not that I'm right on this.

Regards and thak you in advance.

Edited by elperroderoke

Guest KonstaT

Just want to now your opinion as someone how knows what is doing.

package_extract_file("boot.img", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot");
package_extract_file("NON-HLOS.bin", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/modem");
package_extract_file("emmc_appsboot.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/aboot");
package_extract_file("rpm.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/rpm");
package_extract_file("sbl1.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sbl1");
package_extract_file("tz.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/tz");
package_extract_file("sbl1.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/sbl1bak");
package_extract_file("tz.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/tzbak");
package_extract_file("rpm.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/rpmbak");
package_extract_file("emmc_appsboot.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abootbak");

Why is more "risky" to flash all the others (assuming they are, bootloader, modem and so on) that boot.img

You don´t need a backup as you have the original ones and restore from TWRP backup is more or less the same as flash the file.

Of course that with loocked bootloader you have to be more carefull, but, any other advice?

Please, take all this as a question not that I'm right on this.

Regards and thak you in advance.

It's always a bit risky to flash a bootloader. Failing in that is pretty much the only thing that can permanently 'brick' your device. Bootloader is low level firmware that is responsible for things that happen before boot (or recovery) image loaded. Those low level firmware images are also complete blackboxes, we don't have any source code and we don't know exactly what they do. Boot image on the other hand we know very well.

There little to no risk in flashing a 'bad' boot image. If your boot fails, you have recovery to resort to (or vice versa - always make sure you can at least boot one of the two). You can think of boot and recovery as the exactly same thing. One you boot by default, other you need to press a button to boot to (bootloader is responsible for registering that push) - that's the only difference. You could even do a switch and flash a boot.img to recovery partition and recovery.img to boot partition. ;) Your device would boot to recovery by default and you'd need to push a button combo to boot to Android. Or you could only have two different recoveries or test two different kernels by flashing the other one to recovery partition...

TWRP doesn't backup/restore any of those partitions - only boot/recovery/system/data/cache. It's custom ROMs 101 that we don't ship bootloader/modem firmware with ROMs. Sometimes the ROM depends on certain version of modem/bootloader (e.g. because of some binary drivers included in the ROM) but it's always up to the user to update to the required stock firmware version first. Technically there is nothing stopping you from flashing those partitions in TWRP, it's just recommended that you do it the official way.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Hello, could you please make CZ stock recovery image?

http://uloz.to/xcZTfQrQ/recovery-cz-zip  (its in czech, just push that "Stahnout" button :-))

And thanks for this great work.

recovery-stock-VDF-995NB01-CZ02c.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?w4dvt6x3w8koh3a
md5:938953f8d538b1e9c5162a1c410b20e3

I think I'm going to open a new thread from stock ROMs, OTAs, and recoveries. Let's keep this thread about TWRP (not stock recoveries or your experiences with xposed).

I am Czech, too. Is there any reason to use Czech ROM instead of UK if I'll use English(UK) language anyway?

It's much better question to ask if there's any reason to use UK software over the one that you're supposed to have on your device? Of course it's always the safest bet to use the correct stock firmware for your device. I haven't downloaded and diffed the full stock firmware images so I don't know if there's any real differences besides localization.

Just an example from a similar ZTE device, Blade S6. If you flash AS (Asia) firmware to your EU (Europe) device or vice versa, it'll brick your device beyond repair. Worst part of this is that the stock recovery image even allows you to do this in the first place. ZTE failed pretty bad there.

Guest elperroderoke

By now the reason in my case, could be that UK has recived two updates by zero in Spain, for example. So if you want to try just flash the UK rom packed for TWRP, not need to flash the oficial rom and "change" the phone, just the rom.
Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Redrabit

My smart ultra 6 dont boot on RECOVERY with vol+power, keep doing boot loop and wen I realized the keys it turns on normally.

I just tried with TWRP recovery and stock recovery, it's the same thing, don't enter the recovery.

There is a way to flash recovery with PC?

I can't update phone.

Any solution?

Thanks

Guest elperroderoke

If you are rooted, try any app from Google Play that allow you to choose how you want to reboot, then you will know if really it doesn't boot on recovery or you are doing something wrong with the keys.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.londatiga.android.anreboot&hl=es

Regards.

Edited by elperroderoke

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phaellow

I'm not sure what's going on, but I downloaded the first .img multiple times and I always got strange bootloops when I tried to boot to the recovery after flashing it. When I downloaded the TWRP flashable one and extracted it, it worked first time.

Guest KonstaT

I'm not sure what's going on, but I downloaded the first .img multiple times and I always got strange bootloops when I tried to boot to the recovery after flashing it. When I downloaded the TWRP flashable one and extracted it, it worked first time.

There's md5 checksums for a reason...

• 1 month later...
Guest KonstaT

with 5.1.1 update guess new TWRP is needed hope konstat will see this and help again :)

How come? I don't see how this wouldn't work with 5.1.1 unless ZTE has done something stupid again...