FAQ about the Smart Ultra 6

Guest Frankish

Guest Frankish

So i figured we have had enough questions asked and answers to stick them all in one place to help any newcomers.

Feel free to ask anything in this thread and we will try and answer. Also feel free to suggest anything you feel should be included or elaborated on.

I plug my phone in but can't access my files?

For some strange reason this phone shipped without MTP enabled so simply go into phone settings, storage, tap the 3 dot menu top right, then select USB Computer Connection.

From here just enable MTP. No special drivers needed.

How can i use ADB i need Windows drivers!

The standard Google Nexus drivers work just fine for this phone any should be fine except for the Galaxy Nexus drivers. They can be found over here Download, you may need to manually install these through Device Manager.

How can i root my SU6?

There is now a One-click root available as posted by forum member "macbreakweeklyfan" which installs SuperSu and its binaries. It's a Windows tool that also includes a lot of device management options.

Find the topic here get me rooted! I won't post a guide as it seems VERY straight forward to use.

If you need to root without a pc or just directly on the device then there is a tool available called Kingroot it's an .apk you run on your device. However be warned there seems to be a random error where Chrome no longer works, not always but out of my test of 5 roots i had one incident of this.

Download Kingroot from here directly to your SU6. 

Install the app after it is finished downloading and start it up. Now just follow the on screen instructions and you will be rooted in no time.

OK i rooted with Kingroot but how can i swap to SuperSu?

Some people would rather use a root app and binary that they know and trust. As soon as i was rooted i switched over to SuperSU.

There is a market app called SuperSume by gatesjunior. 

Before downloading make sure you are already rooted using Kingroot and relaunch Kingroot to confirm root status. Now reboot your device.

Now you can download and install SuperSume here.

Run SuperSume app and follow the instructions on screen, when SuperSU shows up make sure you update binary. 

The SuperSume app will have installed SuperSU and removed all Kingroot related apps and binaries.

How can i unroot?

Kingroot and SuperSU both have options built in to remove root. SuperSU's option is in settings and all the way down towards the bottom of the page.

Network Unlocking my Smart Ultra 6

Network unlocks for the SU6 can be had at time of posting for £3.25 here. I have had 3 unlocked by this guy so far and had no problems. One unlock did take the full 12 hours to come through though. You do not ever need a Vodafone sim to unlock the device.

To get your unlock you need to let the guy know via message a few details. Here is what i sent him,

Phone: Vodafone Smart Ultra 6

Network lock: Vodafone UK

IMEI: YOUR IMEI NUMBER

Your IMEI number is on the box your SU6 came in. Alternatively you can turn the phone on with no sim and type *#06# into the dialler and it will show your IMEI number.

As soon as you have your code all you need to do is put in any non Vodafone sim (I'm on Three UK) and when the phone starts up it will prompt you to enter a network unlock code. Once you enter your code the phone will be at your homescreen and you should see signal for your chosen network. So far it seems it has most UK APN's set up so data works straight away.

Once unlocked it is PERMANENT. You can wipe, root, install stock again and it will remain unlocked.

My Notification LED is not working? What's the deal?

Turns out this is an Android bug that manifests itself in the restore process when setting up the phone. If you restore from a Google backup there is a chance it can disable the notification LED. It will still come on when charging just not for incoming notifications. The long way to fix this? Set the phone up from a full wipe and do NOT restore from a backup.

Shorter fix? Download and install the Widget Motorola released to fix the exact same problem they had on the Moto G this allows you to enable the notification LED with a single tap on the widget. You can download the Widget here. - Thanks to @NegativeOne for hunting this apk down and testing it.

Is there a custom recovery available?

YES! KonstaT has built TWRP for our device and shared it in this thread over here.

Are there any custom ROM's available yet?

Not just yet but we have root, custom recovery and kernel source... Just be patient they will start to appear.

More to come plus better formatting organisation as i add stuff... It's late i need sleep now :)

Edited by Frankish

Guest Frankish

Thank you.

"Run this app and let it do it's thing, when SuperSU shows up make sure you update binary."

?

Fixed that KingORoot URL for you: http://androidxda.com/download-kingroot-application

Yeah i've sorted it i had issues with trying to manually input the url tags, must use built in link option.

The run this app bit has been updated too just to make it less ambiguous. 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

"KingRoot" seems to have taken up permanent residence in my phone, and is NOT removable (I installed it with "adb install"). How do I remove it please?

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

[update]:

I'd installed KingRoot via adb, which is why SuperSume wouldn't remove it, and nor could I. I've now done it manually by tapping the APK using a file manager - it's all rooted and SuperSU installed... but Chrome is BLANK! :/

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest Frankish

I wish I could figure out why people have this issue absolutely no idea. It worked for me. It's worked for some others. Then some have had issues.

OK I've got an idea. If it comes off when I have time to test it will go like this... Root with Kingroot. Flash recovery. Install my modified SuperSu zip that has a script to remove all Kingroot traces and installs SuperSu.

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

What, apart from the obvious act of rooting, is "KingRoot" doing that can't be done by some other app? I mean, if *it* is able to put the various bits in place, why can that process not be copied without it?

Guest Frankish

Because it uses a certain exploit that I'm not sure has been publicly shared so remains our only option. Unless someone can correct me?

Guest jonathan bowley

I had USB audio outputting to my Fiio DAC working (just a quick test using ES File Explorer music player) before rooting and messing withwith uninstalling system apps and installing xposed mod... Now I can only access USB audio through the USB audio pro app. Not sure what I've donedone, but if anyone else cares to check if their USB audio is working, that'd be great ;)

Guest neilmasters

Is it worth updating this FAQ with all the stuff we've found since it was originally written? There's loads of info in this forum but it's all over the place, and loads of up to date info that we've found...

Guest brackehill_mob

Is it worth updating this FAQ with all the stuff we've found since it was originally written? There's loads of info in this forum but it's all over the place, and loads of up to date info that we've found...

+1

Particularly now we have an easy rooting method with MobileGo!

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

@Frankish

Hello :)

Is this guide going to be updated to suggest the "MobileGo" suite instead? Seems logical, based on the sheer number of errors and complaints about this Kingo thingo, hah. :)

Guest Frankish

Yes definitely when I get chance. Hopefully tonight. Just worked a 60 plus hour week got a laptop to fix plus doing some testing on some SU6 stuff too so very busy.

Other than the new superior root method does anyone feel anything else here needs updating or adding?

Guest ohyesman

Agree, could do with being pinned too @PaulOBrien

@Frankish - could add a bit about unlocking phone from Vodafone using unlock code and where/how to get the imei code required etc. 

Maybe add bit about xposed - can use but will likely cause phone to lag etc

Edited by ohyesman
Add some possible FAQ suggestions

Guest Frankish

Thanks Paul!

Guide updated to recommend MobileGo root option as a first choice. Added a section on Unlocking i think i covered most questions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Andy From Ireland

what u guys think about the sound quality during a call?

I've not found it to be the best, got better clearer call quality on my old SG Note 1 phone - other caller sounds muffled on this VFSU6 like they have a sock in their mouth , not very clear sound. wonder if there is any secret code available to put in by phone keypad to enable EFR or whatever its called for clearer sound calls

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...