[UPDATE: HUMBLE PIE CONSUMED] - How do you exit "DFU" mode? Happened a few times now.

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Hi folks :)

I have had my SU6 get stuck on the boot animation for an hour now, without booting fully. This has happened a few times now; I am not in the least concerned, but it shows up as Device Firmware Upgrade ("DFU") mode in device manager, and I would like to know a simple way to exit this mode. All the button holding in the world doesn't seem to break it out, and I've held every button combo for AT LEAST a min per time.

[UPDATE]
I should like to make it clear that I am a donkey today, and that I DIDN'T hold down the power button for as long as I assumed I had. I held it down just now and got on with surfing the web... and as I was surfing, the screen went black and Windows chimed the "USB disconnect" sound. Oops. Sorry guys, I am only human, and I would like to apologise for coming across as a bit of a know it all 

Many thanks :)

DFU1.PNG

DFU2.png

DFU3.png

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Strange, while its plugged into the PC?

Have you tried turning it off while its plugged into PC or not plugged in? 

I've tried everything, in *and* out of the PC. It happened when I was out - I said "reboot" (and that's how it happened before too).

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Also, do you own an apple product? I'm sure dfu is an Apple thing. But I could be mistaken. 

DFU is a generic term, which is short for "Device Firmware Upgrade" mode - it's just common parlance for iOS devices, but it is certainly part of other devices, not just Apples.

Guest Lukas4477

Just I've never seen the term dfu used in android that's all. 

All I can suggest it holding the power down until it restarts. Pretty sure that's the only way out, without fastboot working. 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Just I've never seen the term dfu used in android that's all. 

All I can suggest it holding the power down until it restarts. Pretty sure that's the only way out, without fastboot working. 

I have tried that many times - I am no newcomer to electronics and software. I don't ever like asking for advice, since I find that asking for the advice takes FAR longer than actually using one's initiative and knowledge and trying every conceivable combination of attack vectors and resolution strategies, and 99.999999% of the time, I am self sufficient and have 100% success rate. If I am here asking for advice, you can take it as green that this is an ABSOLUTE last resort, and I have most likely tried what you are suggesting, and then some; I know my gadgets inside out (well okay, apart from this specific scenario, haha) :)

I appreciate your helping me.

Guest ohyesman

You haven't got a 100% success rate then have ya 

Sounds like you tried all the usual and if holding the power button does nowt then I'm at a loss. 

You say it's happened a few times before, what happened for it to finally boot up? Just wait and wait until reboots itself?

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

You haven't got a 100% success rate then have ya 

Sounds like you tried all the usual and if holding the power button does nowt then I'm at a loss. 

You say it's happened a few times before, what happened for it to finally boot up? Just wait and wait until reboots itself?

If I've had 100% success rate, 99% of the time, that means what it says - the times I had 100%, are 99% of overall experience. If you eat 100% of your pizza 99% of the time, you're still eating ALL the pizza for 99% of the time, but there's still the 1% left when you don't, and you leave some..... understand? hehe :)

Common sense really.

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Maybe you got some sort of developer device lol. Would be nice for development

Very unlikely; DFU mode is hardly a rarity, I just so happen to have triggered it unintentionally, and it's holding me up.

Guest Lukas4477

Just done a quick Google of zte handset diagnostic interface dfu, sounds like the problem relates to a bad flash, or corrupt memory. 

Are you rooted with custom recovery? 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Just done a quick Google of zte handset diagnostic interface dfu, sounds like the problem relates to a bad flash, or corrupt memory. 

Are you rooted with custom recovery? 

Hello :)

Rooted, YES - custom recovery, NO. Once I get out of this, I am wiping and going back to stock without delay.

Guest Lukas4477

Can you enter mtp on the phone in this state? So you could put the stock ROM on SD? 

If you can get stock ROM on SD, then wait till the battery dies, then boot straight into stock recovery and fresh install? 

Maybe your only option! Good luck and let is know. 

Sorry I couldn't of been more helpful. 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Can you enter mtp on the phone in this state? So you could put the stock ROM on SD? 

If you can get stock ROM on SD, then wait till the battery dies, then boot straight into stock recovery and fresh install? 

Maybe your only option! Good luck and let is know. 

Sorry I couldn't of been more helpful. 

It's sorted now, and I was wrong, I hadn't held down power long enough (Doh!) - I have modified the OP to reflect my silliness, and thank you for your assisting a stubborn old mule, haha!

Guest ohyesman

Glad u sorted it

Looking at old old zte phones they booted into this holding vol- vol-+ and power, not sure if u can hold both vol- up and down on this phone but maybe worth a try to see if it exits quicker

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Glad u sorted it

Looking at old old zte phones they booted into this holding vol- vol-+ and power, not sure if u can hold both vol- up and down on this phone but maybe worth a try to see if it exits quicker

Yep, tried all conceivable combinations. Dead weird that.

Guest Lukas4477

Haha, I'd just refreshed the screen and saw humble pie at the top!

Glad its sorted! I always keep the stock ROM on my SD card if I stick with stock recovery. You never know. 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Haha, I'd just refreshed the screen and saw humble pie at the top!

Glad its sorted! I always keep the stock ROM on my SD card if I stick with stock recovery. You never know. 

Yes indeed, I've got the stock firmware, all drivers and the OTA ZIP backed up in multiple locations, believe you me :)

I wonder, now, if it was my bootanimation (another topic I made) that caused this, or that dodgy "Kingo Root" app. I am going to revert to that ghastly Vodafone boot animation and see if it happens again. Also, maybe it could be a bug in the "reboot" method used on the action sheet popup when you hold down power. 

As an aside, VERY strangely, the power options action sheet popup DOES NOT appear if you long press power from lock screen - on ALL my other Android phones it would pop up and allow you to select power off/silent etc, even if you held down power from a locked screen. Weirddddddddd

Guest ohyesman

You got a case on phone? Just wondering if it is maybe a bit tight and pushing on the volume buttons a bit on reboot causing it to fire up in dfu mode?

Edited by ohyesman
Spelling

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

You got a case on phone? Just wondering if it is maybe a bit tight and pushing on the volume buttons a bit on reboot causing it to fire up in dfu mode?

Nope, no case.

• 2 years later...