Phone annoyances

Guest ohyesman

Guest ohyesman

Can't complain too much considering the cost of phone but it has some strange quirks and annoyances which are well annoying and some cases just stupid. 

Firstly, like a few others phone won't root, least not by using mobilego, not too bothered atm because i would only use root atm to remove some system apps and change boot animation. Not sure what else would need it for (back in day was for space saving and cpu adjustments but not really required on these bigger more powerful phones) Will need it if roms start to appear though. 

Main annoyance is the phones strange storage management rules, it is restricted quiet abit but at the same time not consistent with it.

For example, main storage options gives u choice of phone or external... Never seen that before.... Not actually sure it does anything though. Move app to SD card works but there is no 'On SD Card' column in settings/apps so u got no idea what's where.. Installing apps it gives u choice of auto, internal & external which is again wierd 

You don't seem to be able to move data from internal to external memory (pics/music files etc) using a file managerapp (ES in this case) but works OK using built in file manager???

Again the inconsistent storage setting effects things like using personal mp3 for ring tones and notifications etc. Copied my normal tones to usual locations on internal memory and only the alarms worked. The others don't show using the normal selection method in settings/sound & notifications etc. Use build in file manager to highlight and use as option exists but toasty pops up saying failed. Move files about randomly then odd file then works???? Redownload tones from Zedge for example then they work even though all in same locations. 

Try using app backup tool which I've used for years and can't change save location to SD card as it says unable to write to location??!!

Pain in the arse!! 

Do it all have the same issues with this phone? (Apart from the root issue - guessing phones have different  hardware causing this?)

Edited by ohyesman

Guest Frankish

I've noticed some quirks when copying files from internal to external SD. Have to sort of jump through hoops but at least I have the option. My music app loses my music folder though keep having to reselect it as its on external.

• 1 month later...
Guest squeakykid

Hi.

I have similar problems with external SD card permissions. All my music is on a 64Gb card which shows just fine & plays perfectly but I cannot get any apps to have write permission on the external SD card.

If you try and create a folder on the SD card you go to the normal "select root of SD card option" but it does not show the external card.

Same from poweramp media player. I like to delete songs that I do not want to hear again but selecting "delete" goes through the "select root of SD card for permissions" routine but will not show external card.

Internal file explorer works fine ! 

Guest BlueMoonRising

I've noticed some quirks when copying files from internal to external SD. Have to sort of jump through hoops but at least I have the option. My music app loses my music folder though keep having to reselect it as its on external.

I'm using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mp3songs.mp3player.mp3cutter.ringtonemaker.paidapp which has no problem with losing the folder, although I did create a 'Music' folder on the SD card first. Has a 5 band equalizer which I can't manage without as they never sound right unless I can twiddle the levels.

Guest Medard22

I had a strange bug. Everytime I moved an app to SD card the system lost it after some time. The app icon was replaced by a generic grey SD card icon and I couldn´t run it unless I rebooted the phone. I fixed it by reformatting my SD card from FAT32 to exFAT. Trouble is you cannot grant write permission to exFAT SD card :(  So I use x-plore and ES file explorer most of the time and stock file manager when I want to move something to SD card. Clunky but it works. I also use Link2SD to manage apps on SD card, because I too miss the "On SD Card" column in app manager. Since this phone uses the stock Android is it safe to assume that this is an Android thing? In that case it well ... suck :(

Edited by Medard22
engrish

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BigD18t

I have a new issue, my camera app FC's all the time, tried a reboot, clearing cache/data but no go.

If I go into whatsapp and take a photo it works, so its not broken, just the stock app.

• 7 months later...
Guest DaveSimonH

So is there a way to write files/folders to microSD from 3rd party file managers, like ES File Explorer, without root? With previous phones & tablets I'd used ES to copy files between internal, microSD & PC via LAN tab. But with this phone it seems like I'd either have to root phone, use USB cable to transfer (haven't had to do that for 5-10 years), or do the convoluted process of copying files from LAN tab to internal, then using the phones File Explorer to copy from internal to microSD.

I initially thought it was the result of just moving the SD cord from old phone to new without formatting. Glad I found this thread, as it looks like backing up then restoring 24GB of data after format would have been a waste of time, if the issue is that it has odd write permissions for microSD. It always displays the hint "please choose root directory sdcard1...", hit select, click on microSD then Documents crashes.

Guest grizzlyflea

If you're rooted you can get around the annoying issue of big game files not being stored on the SD card by using an app called "folder mount", you just transfer your OBB file to the MicroSD card and then mount it as if it was on the internal storage, essentially tricking the app into believing the necessary files are on the internal SD when they're actually on the external card. Works flawlessly on big games like GTA. I can imagine it's use going far beyond just games as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hcardoso483

Okay guys here it goes, you all meet to root, you all need to get rid of the stock software, install other ROM, you all need to aplay some tweaks to platform.XML file in system folder of the device all this has to be done inside twrp recovery other ways won't work, all your issues solved enjoy...

Guest DaveSimonH

Got sick of using the stock File Explorer (stuck with it due to the SD write permissions blocked & Documents crashing with other apps), so backed up all the data on the microSD and formatted it in Windows 10. At first I tried NTFS, but the phone wouldn't even mount with that formatting. So tried exFAT, and the microSD was readable but still couldn't assign write permissions. 

So I then formatted the microSD via the storage settings menu. And when I opened the Documents section to assign write permissions, the microSD was listed as a bunch of random characters, but I was able to select it and then finally allow write permissions. So I can go back to using ES FIle Explorer (v3.2.5.5) to copy files back and forth between my various devices via wifi. So I'm not sure if the exFAT formatting is necessary, but using the phone itself to format the microSD worked for me. Also possible that it's due to the microSD card not having a name causing issues (common bug apparently), so maybe try naming the SD first before doing long process of backup, format etc.

I just hope than I will be able to do the same when I pick up a 64GB or 128GB microSD. It's still not going to work with every app though, for example "Fast notepad" just says "Cannot create file", doesn't give you the prompt to give it SD write permissions.

Edited by DaveSimonH

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DaveSimonH

Finally got around to buying a 128GB microSD, but Documents refuses to find the microSD (formatted on phone & PC, renamed it on PC etc). Just going to have to go back to using stock file explorer or USB to copy across files :(

Edited by DaveSimonH

• 2 weeks later...