All who can't root.

Guest Frankish

Guest Frankish

All of you who cannot root. Can you please post your software version from your phones about screen.

Which method you have tried to root.

Exact steps you have taken would be good.

Screenshot of about screen would be nice too.

Guest Frankish

Possibly made some progress...

So following a conversation with member Unable we have managed to get him rooted and install custom recovery. Now I'm not saying this will work for everyone however it worked for him after he tried for 4 days to root. After a reboot root would always be lost if he even got as far as it saying he was rooted.

He started with a clean ROM install fully wiped.

Download twrp recovery and put it on sdcard.

Download flashify from play store but don't run it.

Download latest Kingroot which worked for him 4.5.0.722.

Run this app until you appear to have root. Reopen the app without rebooting make sure it says you have root access. Now run flashify and flash TWRP!

Once this is done download SuperSU app from play store but don't run it.

Download SuperSU latest update zip from https://download.chainfire.eu/396/supersu/

Reboot into recovery and install the SuperSU update zip.

Upon rebooting he found SuperSU working and persisting over multiple reboots.

Can someone try who hasn't been able to root and see if this works for you too!?

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

How about someone taking a logcat whilst rooting using MobileGo? Seems a good idea. I'd do it, except I am using my phone... and it's rooted and working well, so I don't want to unsettle it, haha. 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Probably a good idea although the log would be very large it could be worth a look. And the same with King root.

Just grep it :)

Guest ohyesman

Glad u managed to sort one out lol.

I would have another blast myself but I'm now fully up and running as daily driver (new sim finally arrived) and everything is set up as I like and u can't be bothered spending another day going over the whole process again. No real need for root either atm. I will check this or if need to root in future though. 

Not sure if it would work as not getting successful with any of the three oneclick programs (I did use 4.1 kingroot though as recommended by chains for Supersu) and kingo root took bloody ages and still failed

Below is screen shot of build if helps for future or anyone elsr. Btw I've tried complete stock and stock + ota for all 3 and always on clean stock reinstall. 

Screenshot_2015-08-20-00-58-54.png

Guest Unable

Possibly made some progress...

So following a conversation with member Unable we have managed to get him rooted and install custom recovery. Now I'm not saying this will work for everyone however it worked for him after he tried for 4 days to root. After a reboot root would always be lost if he even got as far as it saying he was rooted.

He started with a clean ROM install fully wiped.

Download twrp recovery and put it on sdcard.

Download flashify from play store but don't run it.

Download latest Kingroot which worked for him 4.5.0.722.

Run this app until you appear to have root. Reopen the app without rebooting make sure it says you have root access. Now run flashify and flash TWRP!

Once this is done download SuperSU app from play store but don't run it.

Download SuperSU latest update zip from

https://download.chainfire.eu/396/supersu/

Reboot into recovery and install the SuperSU update zip.

Upon rebooting he found SuperSU working and persisting over multiple reboots.

Can someone try who hasn't been able to root and see if this works for you too!?

Still runing smooth! Thanks mate!

Nice tutorial

Guest Frankish

Glad u managed to sort one out lol.

I would have another blast myself but I'm now fully up and running as daily driver (new sim finally arrived) and everything is set up as I like and u can't be bothered spending another day going over the whole process again. No real need for root either atm. I will check this or if need to root in future though. 

Not sure if it would work as not getting successful with any of the three oneclick programs (I did use 4.1 kingroot though as recommended by chains for Supersu) and kingo root took bloody ages and still failed

Below is screen shot of build if helps for future or anyone elsr. Btw I've tried complete stock and stock + ota for all 3 and always on clean stock reinstall. 

Screenshot_2015-08-20-00-58-54.png

Ok that's strange as same hardware and same software as me so why wouldn't it work.

Guest ohyesman

Ok that's strange as same hardware and same software as me so why wouldn't it work.

Yer, I've never had so many issues rooting a phone. I've tried like 10+ times total and closest I got was with mobilego saying rooted and installing supersu but unable to update binaries.

Still most of the stuff I used back in the day rooted was for space saving and CPU management - not really needed now so only missing custom battery circle and replacement of bootscreen 

Edited by ohyesman
Spelling

Guest KonstaT

Nothing in 'About phone' actually shows any accurate (dynamic) information. It just reads from few hardcoded lines from build.prop and you could change those to whatever...

I can't see how this would be a hardware problem anyway. These are software exploits that are used to gain root access. These are originally Portuguese devices that can't be rooted the same way? There's your software difference.

Guest LiNe171

Nothing in 'About phone' actually shows any accurate (dynamic) information. It just reads from few hardcoded lines from build.prop and you could change those to whatever...

I can't see how this would be a hardware problem anyway. These are software exploits that are used to gain root access. These are originally Portuguese devices that can't be rooted the same way? There's your software difference.

Well, im Portuguese and root works fine on mine :P

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

No one ever seems to remember to post their build version which they were on when they rooted; for example, PRE-OTA or POST-OTA. Why? This could make all the difference when trying to work out why most people can root and a few can't.

Guest KonstaT

I tested both ways. Without OTA worked and with OTA worked too.

And you're again failing to mention if you're even talking about UK or PT firmware!? Was there even an OTA update available for the PT firmware in the first place?

Guest LiNe171

And you're again failing to mention if you're even talking about UK or PT firmware!? Was there even an OTA update available for the PT firmware in the first place?

I said i'm Portuguese on post above.. And yes, we have a OTA update on PT too.

Guest KonstaT

I said i'm Portuguese on post above.. And yes, we have a OTA update on PT too.

Which makes absolutely no difference if you've installed the UK firmware to your device. Where can we download the PT OTA? What's the firmware version on after the OTA?

Mine is UK and tried pre and post ota update and I couldn't/can't root 

OK, so UK devices also. Makes very little sense then (like many other things with this device).

I'd really recommend sticking with devices that have unlocked/unlockable bootloaders. Unlock bootloader -> flash custom recovery -> flash SuperSU. That's how simple it should be. One update from ZTE/Vodafone and those vulnerabilities that are currently exploited are patched.

Guest LiNe171

Which makes absolutely no difference if you've installed the UK firmware to your device. Where can we download the PT OTA? What's the firmware version on after the OTA?

OK, so UK devices also. Makes very little sense then (like many other things with this device).

I'd really recommend sticking with devices that have unlocked/unlockable bootloaders. Unlock bootloader -> flash custom recovery -> flash SuperSU. That's how simple it should be. One update from ZTE/Vodafone and those vulnerabilities that are currently exploited are patched.

No, no difference. Already tested the stock rom from Paul and works. Well, you can't download it.. Just via OTA. MR01B version.

Guest Roboffabike

Still runing smooth! Thanks mate!

Nice tutorial

Got this to work, after about 4 attempts! I think the key for me was Flashify as rebooting to recovery always lost root

Guest brackehill_mob

This has been the worst phone I've ever tried to root. Both MobileGo and Kingroot failed because they lost root after rebooting. So I tried this method. Everything installed and worked until I rebooted - again I lost root. The SuperSU d/l'ed from the Play Store couldn't update the binaries even before I rebooted which I've never had before.

In desperation I had a poke around in supersu 1.94 and compared it to v2.46 that I used on my Hudl2 (thanks again to @PaulOBrien!) and spotted lots of differences. I installed v2.46 via TWRP and it stuck!!! @Unable has a link to v2.46 in his thread here

It might be worth updating the OP accordingly.

Now to root my wife's one - wish me luck!!

Guest LiNe171

This has been the worst phone I've ever tried to root. Both MobileGo and Kingroot failed because they lost root after rebooting. So I tried this method. Everything installed and worked until I rebooted - again I lost root. The SuperSU d/l'ed from the Play Store couldn't update the binaries even before I rebooted which I've never had before.

In desperation I had a poke around in supersu 1.94 and compared it to v2.46 that I used on my Hudl2 (thanks again to @PaulOBrien!) and spotted lots of differences. I installed v2.46 via TWRP and it stuck!!! @Unable has a link to v2.46 in his thread here

It might be worth updating the OP accordingly.

Now to root my wife's one - wish me luck!!

Try to install stock ROM again, download it from zte device website, put it on storage and install it by offline way.. After installing the stock ROM, install the new update via OTA, let it install then try to root with mobilego.

Guest brackehill_mob

Try to install stock ROM again, download it from zte device website, put it on storage and install it by offline way.. After installing the stock ROM, install the new update via OTA, let it install then try to root with mobilego.

Had to do this with both phones!

However MobileGo kept losing root when rebooting. But I was able to install TWRP using the commands in the OP of the TWRP thread and then installed SU via recovery as per my post 2 above this one. Much quicker than faffing about with Kingroot etc!

Result :)

• 2 weeks later...