New update Sept 15

Guest Flashingblade

From what I gather we need an unlocked bootloader, which no-one has managed since the hudl 2 came out, so we're basically scuppered :(

Well what about .......

One of the reasons for uploading the large Lollipop OTA update was to give 'those with the expertise AND time on their hands' an option to possibly create a pre-rooted Lollipop OTA i.e. add the su binary with permissions etc to the system image before it's installed.

Yes granted for this method to work, I can foresee you'd have to tinker with the OTA install scripts, checksums, integrity settings, repackaging issues etc but maybe this would deliver a faster Lollipop root method than waiting for Tesco to allow us to unlock the bootloader.

Just a thought .....

Guest Lee Hiachi

So from what I gather, it is currently not possible to root the Hudl runing Android 5.1. Does anyone know how to rollback to 4.4.2? I really need root.

Dont install it if you want it rooted. Just updated,lost root and bootloader is now locked, Which i guess means it wasnt b4

Any OTA update and especially this type of update is virtually guaranteed to remove root, as in this case the update is flashing a new system partition. Fairly sure the bootloader has always been locked, just we now also have the complication of encryption to possibly deal with - all or selected partitions I don't know.

I'd rather have a non-root Lollipop build..... root will happen just not straight away. 

Edited by Guest

Guest vkapartz

As far as I can tell, they've updated droidboot (fastboot) to restrict `flash` and `oem` commands. So in theory, all we have to do is flash the older droidboot back, and then we'll be able to use tethered recovery again.

Can anyone, with a rooted KitKat Hudl 2, backup the old droidboot partition?

Guest vampirefo
As far as I can tell, they've updated droidboot (fastboot) to restrict `flash` and `oem` commands. So in theory, all we have to do is flash the older droidboot back, and then we'll be able to use tethered recovery again.

Can anyone, with a rooted KitKat Hudl 2, backup the old droidboot partition?

If you had android 5.0 through 5.0.2 that would have work, that is how we currently root 5.1. But you guys didn't get 5.0 through 5.0.2, you all jumped right to 5.1.

KitKat bootloader will not work on lollipop, sorry won't work.

Guest George Styles

If you had android 5.0 through 5.0.2 that would have work, that is how we currently root 5.1. But you guys didn't get 5.0 through 5.0.2, you all jumped right to 5.1.

KitKat bootloader will not work on lollipop, sorry won't work.

But we dont need Lollipop to boot... all we need is a recovery shell that we can mount the lolipop system image and inject a suid binary dont we? do id imagine (just guessing here) we would

1. Flash old bootloader

2. Use tethered thing to eff around with the system partition

3. Flash new bootloader

4. Profit!

wouldnt we? thats assuming we know how to flash the bootloader on an unrooted device separately from the actual OS...

Guest vampirefo
But we dont need Lollipop to boot... all we need is a recovery shell that we can mount the lolipop system image and inject a suid binary dont we? do id imagine (just guessing here) we would

1. Flash old bootloader

2. Use tethered thing to eff around with the system partition

3. Flash new bootloader

4. Profit!

wouldnt we? thats assuming we know how to flash the bootloader on an unrooted device separately from the actual OS...

If you flash a KitKat bootloader on lollipop game over tablet is forever bricked.

Guest vampirefo

As long as we are talking theory, I have and Intel with android 5.0 that in theory could be flashed on your 5.1, do you all have a 5.1 to flash back?

Guest mad cabbie

I wouldn't mess with mixing bootloaders. I used to get away with it when cooking roms for the Note 3, but best experience would be go with the proper one.

I hate not having root. It's MY device, that I PAID for, and I want to use it my way. At the time I bought my Hudl 2, my good lady got a 10" lenovo for a few quid more. It was rooted within an hour of purchase! It has a custom recovery, and I've cooked a couple of roms for it. It flies along!

I admit I got carried away with the specs of the Hudl. I should have had a good read first, but being an android tinkerer, I assumed that all would be straight forward, and I had the tools already, Archikitchen etc Wrong!! 

This device has so much potential still, it could be so much more. I'd love to dual boot windows on it. I use win 10 mobile, PC, but refuse to spend a mint on a surface when these are capable as a windows tablet.

Anyways, 5.1 is rubbish! Lags, poor battery, glitches, and general feeling of 'lets keep them happy even if it isn't finished'. You'd never know it was running ART rather than dalvik. It also takes an age to boot up compared to 4.4.

Has anyone investigated the identical tablet to the hudl 2. Can't remember what it's called now...begins with a P! lol

Guest hudl2helpthanks

I did a factory reset after updating to Lollipop and it's bug free and much smoother than KK. It might be due to updating whilst keeping the data that people have issues. Having said that, I don't like stuff clogging up ram in the background and only install a handfull of apps+games.

@mad cabbie

It's made by pegatron. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Indeed it is but strangely, Pegatron don't make a commercially available tablet with the same spec as the Hudl 2...

• 1 year later...