[DEV][ROM][23.1.] Sailfish OS for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest CatLover9

WHY DOESENT JOLLA STORE WORK!!!!

i can't install any apps off it when I do it comes up with "problem with store" at the top

Edited by CatLover9

Guest KonstaT

WHY DOESENT JOLLA STORE WORK!!!!

i can't install any apps off it when I do it comes up with "problem with store" at the top

Because it's not even supposed to work on community builds. Did even bother to read the FAQ or discussion on the previous page? Maybe do that first before you come here shouting...

There's 'Warehouse' (OpenRepos) that you can use to install apps. I asked about having the Jolla Store enabled for this device and the response I got was that they're busy and prioritizing other things.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest CatLover9

Because it's not even supposed to work on community builds. Did even bother to read the FAQ or discussion on the previous page? Maybe do that first before you come here shouting...

There's 'Warehouse' (OpenRepos) that you can use to install apps. I asked about having the Jolla Store enabled for this device and the response I got was that they're busy and prioritizing other things

Oh that's a shame I can't install any apps off Jolla store and I did read the F and Q page before I installed it...

• 1 month later...
Guest dreadbit

KonstaT, this is working on ZTE Open C / EU - without the last [4th] patch, and works mostly as expected (well, for the OS I see for the first time).

I cannot find FM radio, should it be there? Third-part app?

Also, looks like it does not recognise headphones. If I plug them in and trying to listen to the music, it came out loudspeakers, not headphones.

<s>Also, looks that screen can be *much* brighter.</s>

Also, it's hard to press last row (BS,0,Enter,ArrRight) in terminal's keyboard, should the touchscreen be recalibrated? How?

Also... oh, let me play with it another hour, it looks *very* interesting system, thanks, KonstaT!

Edited by dreadbit

Guest KonstaT

KonstaT, this is working on ZTE Open C / EU - without the last [4th] patch, and works mostly as expected (well, for the OS I see for the first time).

I cannot find FM radio, should it be there? Third-part app?

Also, looks like it does not recognise headphones. If I plug them in and trying to listen to the music, it came out loudspeakers, not headphones.

<s>Also, looks that screen can be *much* brighter.</s>

Also, it's hard to press last row (BS,0,Enter,ArrRight) in terminal's keyboard, should the touchscreen be recalibrated? How?

Also... oh, let me play with it another hour, it looks *very* interesting system, thanks, KonstaT!

Solution to headphones problem is described in the first post. Have you disabled auto-brightness (also in the OP)? Display is just as bright as it is in Android.

There's no FM radio support in Sailfish OS (no FM radio on Jolla devices).

If/when I release another build it will simplify installation process a bit. There will be only two packages to install and input devices will be auto-detected and adjusted accordingly. I did a Sailfish OS 2.0.0.10 build on the weekend. Nothing broken, nothing fixed what comes to hardware. GUI seems to crash randomly (lipstick segfaults) and I haven't had time to look into why yet.

Edited by KonstaT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guest pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT

New alpha build. Installation procedure is a bit simpler now and there's only these two packages to flash. More detailed instructions in the third post as usual.

cm-12.1-YOG3C-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip (yes, you need to use this exact CM12.1 build as a base)
http://www.mediafire.com/?chzzz40643d6zmx
md5:23593b90fb7be93a7e14aec6a3a95f68

sailfishos-kis3-release-2.0.0.10-20160123-alpha2.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?m953pr4ovtd594r
md5:bf5ac7346ed5e08e32c884fd0022409c

-fix voice calls
-fix video decoding/encoding
-disable proximity sensor for now -  wasn't working(?) and would cause display to switch (and stay) off during calls
-simplify installation process
-Sailfish OS 2.0.0.10

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
3 hours ago, Hemul98 said:

after 15 minuts , after reboot system i have white screen and reboot again

That's the boot time race condition that is mentioned in the first post. It's overlined because it should be pretty well under control. Apparently still happens sometime.

Hi KonstaT, maybe it's something wrong with this release, after a fresh install I can't install any app, it allways ends with error "Could not configure normal mode" on Warehouse and on terminal, I solved it thanks to this post of coderus.

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, pakoR said:

Hi KonstaT, maybe it's something wrong with this release, after a fresh install I can't install any app, it allways ends with error "Could not configure normal mode" on Warehouse and on terminal, I solved it thanks to this post of coderus.

Interesting, thanks. Warehouse worked on the build I did on Friday. I used it to install Messwerk and tried to install GPSInfo (failed on some missing dependency). I didn't even try it on this build before this.

No idea what happened because I basically only just repacked everything to give it an alpha tag. :o I'll look into this. I'm glad you found a way to resolve this. :)

Edit.

rm -rf /var/cache/pk-zypp-cache

seems to be enough to get Warehouse working again.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Here's a guide how to use FM radio in Sailfish OS. There's no GUI for now so this is done on command line. You'll need two terminal windows or two ssh connections (or one of each ;)). One is for controlling fmconfig command line FM radio app. Another one is for changing audio configurations. Plug in your headphones (make sure you've run 'systemctl restart ohmd.service' as root to get headphones recognized) and get started.

Start with the FM app. Open it by executing:

/system/bin/fmconfig

It will give you a list of available commands. Turn FM radio on with command:

enable

Search for stations with commands:

seek up
seek down

Or if you have a favorite station (e.g. 89.0 MHz):

setfreq 89000

Now move to part about audio routing.

When you want to quit, turn FM radio off with command:

disable

Exit the app with command:

quit

Second part is audio routing. Set input port to FM radio by executing:

pacmd set-source-port source.primary input-fm_rx

Check that output/input ports are correct:

pacmd list | grep "active port"

That should look like this:

[nemo@localhost ~]$ pacmd list | grep "active port"
    active port: <output-wired_headphone>
    active port: <input-fm_rx>

Then 'record' FM input and pipe it to 'playback' in headphones:

pacat -r -d source.primary | pacat -p -d sink.primary

Now you can hear FM radio from your headphones. You can move back to the FM app for tuning stations, etc.

Hit CTRL+C when you want to stop.

Routing audio to speaker is also possible but you still need to have headphones connected. Headphone wire is used as an antenna for FM radio. Here are the commands for changing output/input sources:

pacmd set-sink-port sink.primary output-wired_headphone
pacmd set-sink-port sink.primary output-speaker
pacmd set-source-port source.primary input-fm_rx
pacmd set-source-port source.primary input-builtin_mic

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Piece_Maker

Hi, I just made an account to post some feedback about this build, because why not! 

Pretty awesome how well Sailfish runs. Feels smoother than the FirefoxOS Nightlies I was running on it - only downside is the lack of Jolla store (Which you've already addressed), and the tiny internal storage. I've only installed a few apps and I've already filled it up! Is there any way to store apps on an external SD card or something?

I also had that weird white screen/reboot thing once or twice - the first time it happened it softbricked my phone, and I had to re-flash it because it wouldn't get past the Android boot screen. After the 3rd time re-flashing it (Second time was due to me messing about in the terminal and seeing what I could break) it's stayed perfectly stable so far.  

Guest KonstaT
18 hours ago, Piece_Maker said:

Pretty awesome how well Sailfish runs. Feels smoother than the FirefoxOS Nightlies I was running on it - only downside is the lack of Jolla store (Which you've already addressed), and the tiny internal storage. I've only installed a few apps and I've already filled it up! Is there any way to store apps on an external SD card or something?

I also had that weird white screen/reboot thing once or twice - the first time it happened it softbricked my phone, and I had to re-flash it because it wouldn't get past the Android boot screen. After the 3rd time re-flashing it (Second time was due to me messing about in the terminal and seeing what I could break) it's stayed perfectly stable so far.  

You can repartition internal storage by updating your Open C to Android using ZTE's Windows flasher. It will roughly double the size your device's /data partition (from ~1gb to ~1,9gb). There's no support for installing apps to sdcard and I don't plan on supporting installing Sailfish OS to sdcard either.

Yeah, that boot time race condition is strange. I haven't experienced it that often after I added some delay to mounts. I haven't been cought in infinite reboot loop but I could make that happen by masking one mount service (that is failing anyway :o). Must have rebooted about 30 times on these latest 2.0.0.10 builds and I've seen this only happen once (booted successfully itself right after, didn't even have to remove battery). My guess there's something off with timing with mounting partitions and launching droid-hal-init which starts services that need access to those partitions (modem, etc). Haven't cought anything useful in logs, so it's still a guessing game. Any ideas welcome.

Guest dreadbit

Got 2.0 both on Zte Open C and Beeline Smart 2, easy as pie!

The problem with headphones still exists and is fixed by the same trick.

Screen rotation does not work, at least on Open C, no matter 'Settings->Display->Orientation' is set. More, even 'Landscape' setting does not change anything.

Also, I faced "Warehouse problem" on Open C (but not on Beeline Smart 2 [yet?]), it was fixed the way pakoR recommended.

From all the other points, it's brilliant!

Any idea how to customise leds (well, that's clear that that is done with echo Y > /sys/class/leds/X/brightness) on events like "Charger/USB attached" and "There are notifications"? Or what does class_start charger in /init.rc does? Or a good start point where to read about that all?

Edited by dreadbit

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, dreadbit said:

Screen rotation does not work, at least on Open C, no matter 'Settings->Display->Orientation' is set. More, even 'Landscape' setting does not change anything.

Reboot your device. It works but sometimes it stops working for some reason. I think ports on other devices have had similar issue as well.

1 hour ago, dreadbit said:

Any idea how to customise leds (well, that's clear that that is done with echo Y > /sys/class/leds/X/brightness) on events like "Charger/USB attached" and "There are notifications"? Or what does class_start charger in /init.rc does? Or a good start point where to read about that all?

Button backlight is currently used as notification LED on this device. It's on when you're charging and pulsing when battery is full. It's on when you have missed call/notification and you haven't turned on display yet. It's also on when you're powering off your device.

Making it work with the notification LED needs some work in mce-plugin-libhybris. This device only has red and green LEDs (amber/yellow when both red and green are lit) instead of a regular RGB LED so there's few quirks. I've already done the work but I'm not sure which way I prefer. I've already gotten used to how it works with the button backlight and it looks kind of cool on Open C that only has a home button. :P

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Piece_Maker
On 26/01/2016 at 7:18 AM, KonstaT said:

You can repartition internal storage by updating your Open C to Android using ZTE's Windows flasher. It will roughly double the size your device's /data partition (from ~1gb to ~1,9gb). There's no support for installing apps to sdcard and I don't plan on supporting installing Sailfish OS to sdcard either.

Hmm... Any solutions here for Linux users? 

I assume you meant using ZTE's official tool to install Android on the device - does that 'automatically' grow the /data partition, and then when I flash SailfishOS over it, it re-uses that bigger data partition? That'll probably work well, as I don't need to install a million apps, just a few more than I've managed so far! :D 

At first I thought about simply symlinking a partition on my SD card to the /data directory, or possibly doing some magic in whatever the sailfishOS equivelent to /etc/fstab, but didn't want to cause more problems. I think I prefer your solution!

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, Piece_Maker said:

Hmm... Any solutions here for Linux users? 

I assume you meant using ZTE's official tool to install Android on the device - does that 'automatically' grow the /data partition, and then when I flash SailfishOS over it, it re-uses that bigger data partition? That'll probably work well, as I don't need to install a million apps, just a few more than I've managed so far! :D

No, unfortunately no solution for Linux users and I haven't used the Windows flasher myself either.

Windows flasher basically wipes clean the whole device and changes to partition table while doing that. It operates on much 'lower' level than anything you'd simply flash in recovery. I've written something about the Open C and Kis 3 partition layouts in this post. Next problem is where you'd get the Windows flasher. They used to be at comebuy website but it seems they're not there anymore. I have them but I don't think it's my job to host them and I'd rather link to an official source anyway. There used to be one for flashing Firefox OS engineering build and another one for flashing Android KitKat.

Guest Piece_Maker
On 29/01/2016 at 3:41 PM, KonstaT said:

No, unfortunately no solution for Linux users and I haven't used the Windows flasher myself either.

Windows flasher basically wipes clean the whole device and changes to partition table while doing that. It operates on much 'lower' level than anything you'd simply flash in recovery. I've written something about the Open C and Kis 3 partition layouts in this post. Next problem is where you'd get the Windows flasher. They used to be at comebuy website but it seems they're not there anymore. I have them but I don't think it's my job to host them and I'd rather link to an official source anyway. There used to be one for flashing Firefox OS engineering build and another one for flashing Android KitKat.

Alright, not to worry! 

I thought I had the Android one stored somewhere, but it seems I only have the FFOS one. I know you said you don't want to host them yourself, so I'll go snooping around a bit unless I can figure out another way of doing this

Guest KonstaT
15 hours ago, Piece_Maker said:

Alright, not to worry! 

I thought I had the Android one stored somewhere, but it seems I only have the FFOS one. I know you said you don't want to host them yourself, so I'll go snooping around a bit unless I can figure out another way of doing this

I decided to mirror all the Open C / Kis 3 flashtool firmwares I have. You can find them in this folder.

Guest Piece_Maker
3 hours ago, KonstaT said:

I decided to mirror all the Open C / Kis 3 flashtool firmwares I have. You can find them in this folder.

AWESOME! Thanks a lot! 

In the meantime, I've been messing around with bind-mounting a folder on my SD card to /data. I know this isn't exactly recommended practice, but what the hell, I have a weekend to kill. I just rsynced /data to /mnt/sd/data (after mounting my sd card to /mnt/sd), then mounted /mnt/sd/data to /data. Needless to say, it didn't go too well, and the OS quit booting on me. There's a few guides dotted around for doing this with certain folders within /data (Such as the one that contains Android apps on the Jolla device) but I suppose the rest of /data should remain untouched. 

Thanks again for mirroring the official stuff - I reckon the 1.9gb /data you said this provides should be enough!