[DEV][ROM][5.2.] LineageOS 13 (Android 6.0.1) for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, dannyYos said:

What was the greatest challenge in porting cm to our device? I guess it was making everything work on the small amount of ram of this phone.

Nothing specifically challenging. This has been one of the easiest devices to hack with. It's close to Qualcomm reference design and ZTE hasn't done anything too stupid. I think I've already achieved more than plenty with this little device (CM11/CM12/CM12.1/CM13, CAF Android, CAF Firefox OS, Sailfish OS, etc).

Main issue with recent CM versions has been proprietary binary drivers. This device was released with KitKat (Android 4.4) and it never even received Lollipop update. So, you either need to hack those KitKat binary blobs to work on newer Android versions or find replacements from other similar devices that have received official updates to newer Android version. Now that Qualcomm dropped B-family (msm8974/msm8226/msm8610) support from Nougat, none of those devices will receive official Nougat updates.

Android has good guidelines for low RAM devices so it's really not that big of an issue. In practice device of course struggles in memory intensive tasks and you can't expect much of a multi-tasking performance.

Guest i354344

Hi,

Do you plan to correct the vulnerabilities Dirty Cow soon?

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/q/status:merged++CVE-2016-5195

Can you add grsecurity patch in your rom?

https://copperhead.co/blog/2015/06/11/android-pax

http://android-developers.blogspot.fr/2016/07/protecting-android-with-more-linux.html

Thank you very much for your work.

Edited by i354344
Add a link

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, i354344 said:

Hi,

Do you plan to correct the vulnerabilities Dirty Cow soon?

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/q/status:merged++CVE-2016-5195

Can you add grsecurity patch in your rom?

https://copperhead.co/blog/2015/06/11/android-pax

http://android-developers.blogspot.fr/2016/07/protecting-android-with-more-linux.html

Thank you very much for your work.

Already pushed the dirty cow patch to cm-11.0/cm-12.1/cm-13.0 branches a while back. Feel free to compile the kernel any time.

No plans for grsecurity patch (or anything else for this device for that matter).

Guest dannyYos
On 10/28/2016 at 8:05 PM, KonstaT said:

Nothing specifically challenging. This has been one of the easiest devices to hack with. It's close to Qualcomm reference design and ZTE hasn't done anything too stupid. I think I've already achieved more than plenty with this little device (CM11/CM12/CM12.1/CM13, CAF Android, CAF Firefox OS, Sailfish OS, etc).

Main issue with recent CM versions has been proprietary binary drivers. This device was released with KitKat (Android 4.4) and it never even received Lollipop update. So, you either need to hack those KitKat binary blobs to work on newer Android versions or find replacements from other similar devices that have received official updates to newer Android version. Now that Qualcomm dropped B-family (msm8974/msm8226/msm8610) support from Nougat, none of those devices will receive official Nougat updates.

Android has good guidelines for low RAM devices so it's really not that big of an issue. In practice device of course struggles in memory intensive tasks and you can't expect much of a multi-tasking performance.

Thanks for very informative answer. In my high school, we have science project and I'm planning to try porting cm to some android device. Can you give some good links (I've read cm wiki), videos, book recommendations...

Edited by dannyYos

Guest KonstaT
17 hours ago, dannyYos said:

Thanks for very informative answer. In my high school, we have science project and I'm planning to try porting cm to some android device. Can you give some good links (I've read cm wiki), videos, book recommendations...

AOSP documentation is always a good read. First place to look when you need to know technical details on how something works/is supposed to work in Android. Device section also has guidelines for implementing hardware and configuration examples.

Great thing about Android/CyanogenMod is that it's open source! IMO it's best to start with an excisting CM device and build for that first. Read though device trees and figure out how things are set up and why. Git log (commit history) and git blame also help with that. Bringing up a new device is no small task and usually takes dozens of hours of work.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest obliterate

hey, im having a issue with cm 11 cm 12 and cm 13, and its that i cant connect to internet when on data. i get mostly 2g because of my area, but when i have 3g or 3g+ it just shows err: timed our or something... i theid different browsers but same issue. hopefully u can help me, thanks

Guest KonstaT
13 hours ago, obliterate said:

hey, im having a issue with cm 11 cm 12 and cm 13, and its that i cant connect to internet when on data. i get mostly 2g because of my area, but when i have 3g or 3g+ it just shows err: timed our or something... i theid different browsers but same issue. hopefully u can help me, thanks

Quite clear the problem is something other than the ROM. Maybe your prepaid run out of credit... :P

Edited by KonstaT

Guest obliterate

its not prepaid, it worked fine on same carrier on stock rom... it just shows ERR:net timed out or something

even tho i got 3g.. .gooogle play store works, online apps work, even online games on my phone work, but not the browser when on data

Guest dannyYos
On 11/7/2016 at 4:19 PM, KonstaT said:

AOSP documentation is always a good read. First place to look when you need to know technical details on how something works/is supposed to work in Android. Device section also has guidelines for implementing hardware and configuration examples.

Great thing about Android/CyanogenMod is that it's open source! IMO it's best to start with an excisting CM device and build for that first. Read though device trees and figure out how things are set up and why. Git log (commit history) and git blame also help with that. Bringing up a new device is no small task and usually takes dozens of hours of work.

Thank you for answering noob questions. :) Back to topic, I have problem with Streamate, can't play it with stock browser.

Guest KonstaT
22 hours ago, obliterate said:

its not prepaid, it worked fine on same carrier on stock rom... it just shows ERR:net timed out or something

even tho i got 3g.. .gooogle play store works, online apps work, even online games on my phone work, but not the browser when on data

Make a clean installation following installation instruction in the third post of this thread and attach appropriate logs if the issue still persists.

15 hours ago, dannyYos said:

Thank you for answering noob questions. :) Back to topic, I have problem with Streamate, can't play it with stock browser.

LOL, maybe I should open a webcam and offer live tech support for 100€ hour. :P

Guest obliterate

also from second i installed it wtih GAPPS its so slugish... i just installed viber and youtube and its lagging superhard... viber takes a while to open while on cm11 it  was instant, youtube ,is so laggy. i click on video it takes alot of time to start it then, it starts playing audio and later video catches up

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, obliterate said:

which logs do i need to attach

Logcat as almost always.

1 hour ago, obliterate said:

also from second i installed it wtih GAPPS its so slugish... i just installed viber and youtube and its lagging superhard... viber takes a while to open while on cm11 it  was instant, youtube ,is so laggy. i click on video it takes alot of time to start it then, it starts playing audio and later video catches up

Youtube works perfectly fine on my device. No lag whatsoever.

There's a simple solution to all of this. Use some other ROM is the experience is so fscking terrible for you. I'd recommend the stock ROM for you.

Guest obliterate
7 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Logcat as almost always.

Youtube works perfectly fine on my device. No lag whatsoever.

There's a simple solution to all of this. Use some other ROM is the experience is so fscking terrible for you. I'd recommend the stock ROM for you.

its ok now, it runs fine, had to deplete and recharge it fully and its good as new :) also had insane battery drain before recharging, also sorry for noobish question, but how do i get a logcat? 

edit: nevermind i got the logcat :) hope it has all info needed

logcat.txt

Edited by obliterate
:)

Guest dannyYos

LOL, maybe I should open a webcam and offer live tech support for 100€ hour. :P

I guess you'll be a millionaire very soon. :) This is not a big issue but it's strange. Streamable videos works well on my other phone with CM12.1, while on Kis 3 and my brothers phone with CM13 also doesn't. My guess it's a webview issue.

Guest karl472

I used a lot of roms but this one is the smoothest and most stable of them all. It gave new life to our little zte. Thank you @KonstaT for your amazing work. Are you a member on xda? If not, you should join because your work deserves a lot more praise.

On 11/12/2016 at 9:51 PM, dannyYos said:

I guess you'll be a millionaire very soon. :) This is not a big issue but it's strange. Streamable videos works well on my other phone with CM12.1, while on Kis 3 and my brothers phone with CM13 also doesn't. My guess it's a webview issue.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's a webview bug in cyanogenmod, just install webview from play store.

Edited by karl472

Guest dannyYos

I'm slowly reading through AOSP documentation you gave me KonstaT and I have question. My device to which I'm gonna try porting CM is Samsung Tab E (T560), from Samsung site I downloaded archive which contains Kernel.tar.gz and Platform.tar.gz. My question is for what I need Platform and is this archive contains all I need in order to start working on CM port? Sorry if I'm bothering you but you're the only one who can help me.

On 11/15/2016 at 10:28 AM, karl472 said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's a webview bug in cyanogenmod, just install webview from play store.

Installed new webview and it works now, thanks! Btw, I made a typo, I meant Streamable, not Streamate. :)

Guest KonstaT

I'm slowly reading through AOSP documentation you gave me KonstaT and I have question. My device to which I'm gonna try porting CM is Samsung Tab E (T560), from Samsung site I downloaded archive which contains Kernel.tar.gz and Platform.tar.gz. My question is for what I need Platform and is this archive contains all I need in order to start working on CM port? Sorry if I'm bothering you but you're the only one who can help me.

My guess is that Platform.tar.gz contains the copy left licenced stuff in Android. Likely nothing there you'll need. Kernel.tar.gz is likely the kernel source which you may need (prebuilt stock binary kernel might also work).

You'll also need a factory firmware (or system dump) to extract binary drivers (aka proprietary files). Also a good idea to search device trees for existing CM devices with same/similar chipset/platform for reference.

Installed new webview and it works now, thanks! Btw, I made a typo, I meant Streamable, not Streamate. :)

Typo or Freudian slip. ;) Either way, Streamate left some permanent scars. :P

Edited by KonstaT

Guest dannyYos
1 hour ago, KonstaT said:

My guess is that Platform.tar.gz contains the copy left licenced stuff in Android. Likely nothing there you'll need. Kernel.tar.gz is likely the kernel source which you may need (prebuilt stock binary kernel might also work).

You'll also need a factory firmware (or system dump) to extract binary drivers (aka proprietary files). Also a good idea to search device trees for existing CM devices with same/similar chipset/platform for reference.

Can I use twrp backup for extracting binary drivers? This device is running on Spreadtrum SC8830 chipset and I can't find similar platform. I noticed that Qualcomm running devices is most likely to get custom rom, why is that? Is non-qualcomm chipset gonna be a problem? This tablet is nice, custom rom would make it even better. It isn't important to me if camera isn't going to work good because of missing drivers, or otg support.

1 hour ago, KonstaT said:

Typo or Freudian slip. ;) Either way, Streamate left some permanent scars. :P

I know what you think but I don't have time for that, only school and gadgets for me :)

Edited by dannyYos

Guest karl472
15 hours ago, dannyYos said:

Glad to hear it works.

13 hours ago, dannyYos said:

Can I use twrp backup for extracting binary drivers? This device is running on Spreadtrum SC8830 chipset and I can't find similar platform. I noticed that Qualcomm running devices is most likely to get custom rom, why is that? Is non-qualcomm chipset gonna be a problem? This tablet is nice, custom rom would make it even better. It isn't important to me if camera isn't going to work good because of missing drivers, or otg support.

Actually, there is a similar device. Samsung Galaxy Core Prime Duos SM-G360H. Same Spreadstrum sc8830 SoC, same cpu, same gpu, same cameras (yours have no flash). Differences: Your device has bigger screen (9,6'' vs 4,5''), more ram (1,5gb vs 1gb), bigger battery (5000mAh vs 2000mAh) and g360h has gsm capabilities. Basically, your tablet is just a scale up version of this phone.. Good news is there are cm11/cm12.1 and cm13 for g360h so your job should be much easier. I'm sure KonstaT can give you more details. Cheers.

Edited by karl472

Guest KonstaT
18 hours ago, dannyYos said:

Sure, if you have TWRP available.

Nexus/Pixel devices have AOSP as a reference. Qualcomm devices have CAF. Other platforms have practically no sources available. It makes developing much more difficult but not yet impossible.

This is getting off topic again...

• 1 month later...
Guest cesardp27

Hello, I have installed on my ZTE Open C the CM12 (Android 5.0) and when I want to perform any update to another system either CM12 up (12.1; 13; etc) or down, regardless of the package you download gives me the following error: -failed to verify wholw-file signature- signature verification failed - update failed, packege corrupt - installation aborted -. I have already downloaded several packages and gives the same error. Before performing any package I perform a hard reset of the cell phone. Should I do anything else? Thanks for your help.

Guest JuniorJPDJ
29 minutes ago, cesardp27 said:

Hello, I have installed on my ZTE Open C the CM12 (Android 5.0) and when I want to perform any update to another system either CM12 up (12.1; 13; etc) or down, regardless of the package you download gives me the following error: -failed to verify wholw-file signature- signature verification failed - update failed, packege corrupt - installation aborted -. I have already downloaded several packages and gives the same error. Before performing any package I perform a hard reset of the cell phone. Should I do anything else? Thanks for your help.

Try using other recovery

Guest KonstaT
31 minutes ago, cesardp27 said:

Most likely because you're trying to use stock recovery to install. Custom recoveries (CWM, TWRP) don't do signature checking.