Google adds hi-res audio and multi-room support to Chromecast audio

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Google have just released their first major update to the Chromecast Audio since its launch a few months ago - and it's a pretty significant one, adding hi-res audio and multi-room support, providing a real springboard into the ultra-competitive whole-house audio market currently dominated by Sonos.

Chromecast Audio's new high-resolution audio support offers support for up to 96KHz/24bit lossless audio playback, enabling higher-than-CD-quality audio on your existing equipment. In addition, you can now easily fill the room wherever you have a Chromecast Audio connected - with synchronous music. Multi-room lets you group Chromecast Audio devices together so you can listen to the same song on multiple speakers. 

Setup is super simple. Connect and setup a Chromecast Audio device for each of your speakers then use the latest Chromecast app to create a group. You can cast to the group the exact same way you would cast to a single Chromecast device. Anyone else can easily cast without pairing too, so throw a party, sync your home speakers together, and invite your friends to be the DJ.

I've been holding off on a purchase, but I'm probably going to pull the trigger now - I just need to decide which good-value speakers to link the Chromecast to!

[Via: The official Google blog, Canada]

ccaudiobig.jpg.bac7c4aa8249fed17e3be9077

View full item

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.