Honor 7 - failed upgrade, can't reset

Guest Monathan

Guest Monathan

I have an Honor 7. It says PLK-L01 on the back.  Just used it out of the box for some months (so didn't notice the version it was on).

Then it tried to do the marshmallow update that was sent across the net,  After that it won't boot (or power off, until the battery goes flat).

Found this forum. Downloaded the B330b (MD5 correct). Reset. Phone progress bar crawled round the clockface to 100% and said Update success!

rebooted itself - got to 4% of verifying install package and dropped to "Software install failed", and that's it.  you can repeat the process but I can't seem to get further

I tried the B100 from SImon O's posting but that won't load.  The boot screen doesn't offer a factory reset option (as pictured in another post on this forum)

Any guidance appreciated!

- Monathan

Guest Andre_de_Raad

It's depending on what buildnummer you running right now. B330b is not a stable one. Give me your current buildnummer and I tell you the one you need. Gr. André

Guest Monathan

Dank u wel, Andre

Where do I find the build number (remember I can not boot the phone at all).

I have the box it came in so it has serial and IMEI numbers but I am not sure if that helps. 

I have tried installing both the full versions I can see (B100, and B121 - which includes the 0_CUST file). They both fail to load immediately, whilst B330b at least spends a few minutes "installing", before rebooting (and then behaving as if it is not installed)

mvg, Monathan

Guest Andre_de_Raad

That could be a problem, plaese try this..... If you have a PLK-LO1 device...... Download http://www.hihonor.com/nl/support/details/?DOC_ID=77508.... (B330) on your pc... Unzip it, and copy the file named "update. Zip" to a sd card (2gb or bigger) where you make a folder named "dload" put the sd card in to the Honor 7 and use 3 button comb. It's important that only the "update. Zip" file stands in the "dload" folder on the sd card. Let me know off this works.... If not, I will introduce you to someone from honor headquarters . Good luck André.

Guest Monathan

Thank you.  I downloaded http://www.hihonor.com/nl/support/details/?DOC_ID=77508 (without the trailing dots) and flashed it.

As you say it took 5 minutes.  At the end it said Update success and rebooted.  Then it installed the upgrade again .... (without me pressing the keys).  after doing that again, i removed the SD card and it went to the Software install failed screen.

Monathan

Guest Andre_de_Raad

Now we going somewhere... What happens when you leave the sd card in your phone and start or up? (don't remove the sd card) will the phone boot up normally?

Guest Monathan

Without the SD cards it says:

(honor / android splash for 10 seconds)

Verifying upgrade package ...

gets to 5% (about 5 seconds)

then says Software install failed. Get help from http://emui.com/emotiondownload.php?mod=restore  (which is in chinese.  Google translate tries to have a go, but :-(  ) and offeres a reboot system now button.  That's it.

WITH the SD card (which has dload/UPDATE.APP  - not .ZIP by the way)

you get the honor android splash screen as before.

then it verifies update package ... and keeps going to 100%.   Update success (5 mins later), reboots -- and repeats from the line above.

Interesting that you don't need Vol + and Vol - at this point.

Monathan

Guest ThomKneppr

Hi @Monathan ,

@Andre_de_Raad just contacted me if I could help out with your problem on the Honor 7. Now the first thing that was teached to me if I had a problem like this is that I need to Wipe my data and factory reset and also Wipe cache partition. Now I'm going to explain how you need to do that.

For starters, turn your phone off, not a restart just a power off. 

After your phone is off you push the volume up button and the on off button at the same time until your screen turns on (takes about 10 or 20 second).

When you have done that. You will see a EMUI logo with three buttons. 

• Reboot system now
  • Wipe data/factory reset
  • Wipe cache partition

At first you'll click the Wipe Cache Partition. Then your phone will do his job (make sure its on wall power all the time).

After that is done you'll go back to this place by turning your phone on while holding your volume up button.

Now its time for a factory reset, so you'll click on the button Wipe data/factory reset.

Now I hope everything will turn out the right way. If your phone is bricked you'll find out after youve done this because your phone will not work.

I wish you the best of luck.

Kind regards,

Thom Knepper

TestHuisStyle.png

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Monathan

Thank you Thom, for the suggestion.

I have not found a way to turn the power off on the phone: Other than to unplug the charger and wait.  When I wanted to work on it I plugged the charger in and waited a while and it turned on.  Long pressing the power key appeared to restart it.

I tried to follow your suggestion: I created a clamp with 2 rubber rings that I had which held the two Vol+ and Vol- down whilst it charged up and powered on.  I was disappointed when I did not get the "Clear Cache" scree, but got back to the Software Install failed.

I put the phone down on the desk to type the message and was surprised then to hear the start-up tune!  The phone then booted up the B330 software.  It is confused over the SIM, but it is possible that this SIM is now disabled so I will get a new one.  I cleared the storage down to factory reset. It's running PLK-L01C432B330 now.

Phew! Thank you for the suggestion - I am sure that it did manage to clear whatever was blocking it, and I have a working phone again.  Success! 

Thank you, and Thank You Andre.

Monathan

Guest Monathan

I discovered that I hadn't sent the reply above when I logged in again just now.

I did this because the phone has reverted to the "Software install failure" again.  However by pressing and holding smart and power buttons it seems to have booted back into phone mode - don't know why it failed in the first place.  I am beginning to suspect the VOL+ button might be stucking, but can't find a a way of clearing it so far.