[RECOVERY] TWRP 3.0.2-0 for Nexbox A95X

Guest KonstaT

Guest JWhitebrook

You might want to just use this build for the A95X S905X. 

http://www.memoryleaks.org/libreelec.tv/twrp/

I have tried it on my 2G+8G box, first from SDcard along with a dummy.zip file to select using the UPDATE&BACKUP app instead of the non existent reset switch.  With TWRP running I did a backup of the original firmware then installed TWRP image in place of the stock recovery partition.  Now can reboot to TWRP recovery using the RebootManager App

Guest avatar97
On 8/27/2016 at 1:02 PM, KonstaT said:

Yeah, I saw stock firmware posted for all three versions of the 905X variant. Sure, I'll help if you have some specific technical questions. I'm not going to hold anyone's hand or guide you through every step of the way (it would be a lot faster if I just did it myself instead). Read, learn, test, fail, succeed. Google search is your friend as always.

Thanks for your offer.

Let me first make some research on the net.

But if you have any tips about the tools I will need for the job, it will be welcome !

UPDATE:

The TWRP recovery problem is now solved with the invaluable tip from  JWhitebrook !

However I will still need your help to make a nother TWRP recovery for my "Mediatek" MT6589 smartphone, as the TWRP recovery process will be a similar process...

Edited by avatar97

Guest avatar97
16 hours ago, JWhitebrook said:

You might want to just use this build for the A95X S905X. 

http://www.memoryleaks.org/libreelec.tv/twrp/

I have tried it on my 2G+8G box, first from SDcard along with a dummy.zip file to select using the UPDATE&BACKUP app instead of the non existent reset switch.  With TWRP running I did a backup of the original firmware then installed TWRP image in place of the stock recovery partition.  Now can reboot to TWRP recovery using the RebootManager App

Thanks for your invaluable tip !!!

Problem solved after some trouble, cause I forgot that my SD Card was not configured as "bootable" as also some problem with the lack of META_INF files inside the RECOVERY.zip file...

By the way, what is the easiest way to create META-INF files inside any UPDATE.zip files to flash in recovery area ?

And at last... did you get able to properly RE-ROOT the A95X, (s905x model), box ?

If so, please let me know how to do that correctly, as I need it to work with many of my applications that needs a "rooted" system to work.

Waiting any feedback from you on the matter...

Edited by avatar97

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Maybe someone can help me. I was stupid enough  "flash image" in to 2G+8G model with android 6.0 using first way (Booting from SD card). And now I've lost root, and can not enter to recovery mode with Power up device by pressing (and holding) reset button  in AV port. Thanks for any suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JWhitebrook

avata97 - glad my tip worked for you.

I am after a copy of the stock recovery image, where did you find it?

I did get a private message about the lack of reset switch on the A95x S905x boxes and it seems that it is just random luck if you get one or not one guy had two boxes, one with and one without.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest claudiu666

Hi guys,

Need help please. I have tried to update my A95x with the android 6 and I bricked it. My box has a reset pin in the av hole. So I have put the update on to the sd card , powered of the box , I have pressed the reset pin and powered on the device it dit boot for a second into recovery and then it went blank . I cant go into recovery anymore , it wont boot in to android anymore. No it has the blue light on all the time and another red light on...any ideas how to sort it out :( help please

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mehmetguler1

Hi, KonstaT

Please help me ?

Android - Docooler M9S-PRO Smart Android 5.1 TV Box Amlogic S905 Will Not BOOT

My Name Mehmet Guler İn İstanbul From Turkey,

First of all Happy New Year...

I have M9S PRO Device
MXQ-S905-V3.2
HXW 16092003-03

When updating this device Closed and no longer open
The device is not turned on
Can you help me with this?

I bought the product from Aliexpress

Thank You

Thank you...

• 4 months later...
Guest fxfxfx

Greetings from Denmark, @KonstaT - nice to see a fellow Scandinavian mastering the Nexbox.

I'm in the process of reverting my Nexbox A95X S905 (non-X) from LibreElec (installed on eMMC) to your Android TV port via your TWRP.  Whether it is due to the LibreElec installed on eMMC or other parameters, I am unsure, but I simply can't get my little Nexbox to boot into TWRP. Activating the multi-boot from USB (reset button procedure) works fine and bypasses booting the eMMC LibreElec and initiates booting from USB/SD card. But the TWRP boot stalls at the Nexbox logo, when I boot from USB.

The 8GB USB is FAT32 formatted (no folders - root dir only), contains the recovery-twrp3020-nexbox_a95x.img renamed to recovery.img. The USB also holds the recovery-twrp-3.0.2-0-nexbox_a95x.zip and the recovery-twrp-3.0.2-0-nexbox_a95x.zip files, for flashing once I access TWRP successfully.

I have tried creating a 32GB SD card with identical FAT32 formatting and the same files, as per described procedure. Same result. When booting from SD card, the boot is stuck on the Nexbox logo. I boot from either USB _OR_ SD card. They are not plugged in at the same time.

Unplugging the USB or the SD card with recovery.img, twrp.zip and androidtv.zip lets my Nexbox boot the eMMC LibreElec just fine. Also, I have no trouble booting Balbes Ubuntu or Debian via multi-boot from either USB or SD card. But booting TWRP is a different kind of beast, it seems. Is there an obvious oversight on my part? I need the Nexbox to run a non-Kodi TV streaming app for my Norwegian wife - Android only, unfortunately. So I need to revert from my eMMC-installed LibreElec. And running Android TV on the Nexbox is just too tempting, anyway.

Guest KonstaT
23 hours ago, fxfxfx said:

Greetings from Denmark, @KonstaT - nice to see a fellow Scandinavian mastering the Nexbox.

I'm in the process of reverting my Nexbox A95X S905 (non-X) from LibreElec (installed on eMMC) to your Android TV port via your TWRP.  Whether it is due to the LibreElec installed on eMMC or other parameters, I am unsure, but I simply can't get my little Nexbox to boot into TWRP. Activating the multi-boot from USB (reset button procedure) works fine and bypasses booting the eMMC LibreElec and initiates booting from USB/SD card. But the TWRP boot stalls at the Nexbox logo, when I boot from USB.

The 8GB USB is FAT32 formatted (no folders - root dir only), contains the recovery-twrp3020-nexbox_a95x.img renamed to recovery.img. The USB also holds the recovery-twrp-3.0.2-0-nexbox_a95x.zip and the recovery-twrp-3.0.2-0-nexbox_a95x.zip files, for flashing once I access TWRP successfully.

I have tried creating a 32GB SD card with identical FAT32 formatting and the same files, as per described procedure. Same result. When booting from SD card, the boot is stuck on the Nexbox logo. I boot from either USB _OR_ SD card. They are not plugged in at the same time.

Unplugging the USB or the SD card with recovery.img, twrp.zip and androidtv.zip lets my Nexbox boot the eMMC LibreElec just fine. Also, I have no trouble booting Balbes Ubuntu or Debian via multi-boot from either USB or SD card. But booting TWRP is a different kind of beast, it seems. Is there an obvious oversight on my part? I need the Nexbox to run a non-Kodi TV streaming app for my Norwegian wife - Android only, unfortunately. So I need to revert from my eMMC-installed LibreElec. And running Android TV on the Nexbox is just too tempting, anyway.

No idea. Maybe you can return stock firmware with Amlogic burn tool and start again from there.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest jhondoe

can you please tell me how you signed the zip file because with zipsigner it doesnt work ?

says footer error in recovery

Greetings

Edited by jhondoe