[DEV][ROM][28.1.] CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) for Chuwi Vi10 Plus, Hi10 Plus, Hi10 Pro, Hibook, Hibook Pro & Hi12

Guest KonstaT

Guest Android4Life
6 hours ago, pawwaap said:

Hello, is there any multiwindow functionality in this ROM too?

There is multi-windows support, but I don't really use it because it's not as user friendly as I'd like it to be. It's not due to the ROM, it's just the way it was designed in Marshmallow, I think. Anyway, you can enable it in 'Developer Options' in 'Settings'. It's almost all the way down just before you hit 'Force GPU Rendering'. You use it by pressing the 'Recent Apps' button, then press the little square thing next to the 'X' close button and choose how you want the window to be displayed. The main reason I was hoping to find a customized version of Nougat was the enhanced multi-window support it offers. I have it on my Tab 3 8.0 wifi, and the 'Taskbar' app even has a feature that works with Android 7 and lets you set it to open apps in window or full screen mode. If it wasn't for the fact that Remix 2 has weaker wifi performance (don't know why, but wifi seems to be much better on Lineage 13 than Remix 2, better drivers I guess), I'd be using it instead, especially since I found a way to enable third party launchers with widgets. Hopefully, somewhere in my rambling is some information that'll help a bit.

Guest pawwaap

And you are saying about LineageOS (where I've already tried it's multiwindow feature) but my question was about this ROM of this thread, i.e. Lollipop. Is it here?

Indeed, I fully support your observations and hope somebody (maybe you ;) ) will find the solutions, i.e.:

- working Nougat like style multiwindow (in any Android version ROM possible, as a mod for instance),

- any third party launcher possible to install and run in RemixOS.

I have found many inconsistencies in RemixOS (e.g. "recents" function) but it has nice swift keyboards switching ;)

And yet "pure" Android i.e. with just FullScreen apps mode is very poor in this size screen, very wasteful of screen space, and very awkward.

And what, when you want to use e.g. calculator to do some calculations based on just displayed web page then you must switching constantly between the two applications in FullScreen view?

Guest Android4Life
5 hours ago, pawwaap said:

And you are saying about LineageOS (where I've already tried it's multiwindow feature) but my question was about this ROM of this thread, i.e. Lollipop. Is it here?

Indeed, I fully support your observations and hope somebody (maybe you ;) ) will find the solutions, i.e.:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I must have been remembering getting to the Lineage 13 section from KonstaKang after clicking the link on the first page. I have tried the Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM on the Hi10 Pro I had before I had to return it due to the internal storage going wacky on me, but I can't remember if it supported multi-window or not. If it did, though, it'd still be in the same place I mentioned for Lineage 14. If it's not there, there are several apps in the app store that provide multi-window, some paid and some free.

- working Nougat like style multiwindow (in any Android version ROM possible, as a mod for instance),

- any third party launcher possible to install and run in RemixOS.

I have found many inconsistencies in RemixOS (e.g. "recents" function) but it has nice swift keyboards switching ;)

And yet "pure" Android i.e. with just FullScreen apps mode is very poor in this size screen, very wasteful of screen space, and very awkward.

And what, when you want to use e.g. calculator to do some calculations based on just displayed web page then you must switching constantly between the two applications in FullScreen view?

Guest pawwaap

I can't remember if it supported multi-window or not. If it did, though, it'd still be in the same place I mentioned for Lineage 14. If it's not there, there are several apps in the app store that provide multi-window, some paid and some free.
And would you suggest some such applications, because apparently there's no such support in developer's options? Are they nicer for the user than this developer's options multiwindow support from LineageOS?

Guest Android4Life
1 hour ago, pawwaap said:

And would you suggest some such applications, because apparently there's no such support in developer's options? Are they nicer for the user than this developer's options multiwindow support from LineageOS?

Since I never actually tried the paid versions, I can't really express any opinions on those, but the couple free ones I tried were kind of decent. One of the apps, I wish I could remember the name of it, seemed to work decently enough aside from the fact it made my Internet browser's title bar go off to the left when I opened them in windowed mode, but Youtube seemed to work fine. I believe this is one of the solutions I've tried before;
* XPosed Installer
* XHalloFloatingWindow lollipop ,

but couldn't get the split window thing to work. If I remember right, Xposed doesn't work well (or possibly at all) on Cyanogenmod 12.1 on our tablets. If your tablet is rooted, feel free to give it a shot. Installing Xposed won't harm your tablet, it just might not work the way it's supposed to. You can also do a quick search for 'multi-window in Cyanogenmod 12.1', which is what I did. You'll find a lot of links that should prove useful, but you can also search the Play Store and it'll have a lot of apps that may work there, too. If want to, check out this tutorial on how to install the apps I mentioned in the first paragraph, just remember it'll only work if you're rooted; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKCEmIMgwl0

Guest pawwaap

And to sum up for our Chuwi you suggest this Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM, don't you?

LineageOS has problem with waking up screen what makes tools like Gravity Screen unusable,

RemixOS is still in its very early stage, so Cyanogenmod 12.1 is the most stable, reliable and flexible (configurable), would you confirm?

Guest Android4Life
16 minutes ago, pawwaap said:

And to sum up for our Chuwi you suggest this Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM, don't you?

LineageOS has problem with waking up screen what makes tools like Gravity Screen unusable,

RemixOS is still in its very early stage, so Cyanogenmod 12.1 is the most stable, reliable and flexible (configurable), would you confirm?

The last time I used Cyanogenmod 12.1 was when I had my Hi10 Pro before it conked out on me, but I did like using it. However, I believe I used Lineage 13 as my main OS, I think. At any rate, Lineage 13 works pretty well on my Hi10 Plus, even with the screen popping back on after pressing the power button to turn it off when plugged in. About half the time, I just double-tap the top of the screen to turn off the screen, or use the 'Taskbar' I have installed (which is free on the Play Store, by the way). You can set it up to work more-or-less like the task bar in Remix 2, it even lets you lock or restart the tablet through the start menu. I started using it because I got spoiled by the task bar in Remix 2, and it looked like the best alternative, in my opinion, that was available in the Play Store. I may backup my current ROM and install Cyanogenmod 12.1 just to give it another look.

Guest pawwaap

If say about power button I must suggest you it is very convenient to use Gesture Navigation Xposed module, set three fingers up gesture to switch off the screen, works very neatly.

It's missed the feature to turn on the screen by something else than pressing power button, e.g. the double tap on dark screen.

Without it GravityScreen does the job well in RemixOS and Cyanogenmod 12.1, just move tablet to working position to wake it up.

And it fails in LineageOS probably because of this wake up delay issue.

---------EDIT:

Just testing now Halo Multiwindow Xposed module, it fails in both Cyanogenmod 12.1 and LineageOS, it crashes the system ui completely (FC) preventing system to get ready after boot. Would you suggest something else please?

Guest Android4Life
2 minutes ago, pawwaap said:

If say about power button I must suggest you it is very convenient to use Gesture Navigation Xposed module, set three fingers up gesture to switch of the screen, works very neatly.

Thanks for the tip, but the double-tap thing is pretty convenient, too. I can't remember if it's set by default or not, but it works. I just finished downloading Cyanogenmod 13 for the Hi10 Plus, but there isn't a Vi10 Plus-Hi10 Plus patch like there is for some of the other ones. There wasn't a patch for the version of Phoenix OS that's available for our tablet, either, but it worked fine. If you haven't heard about it, Phoenix OS is another vamped up android 5.1 ROM similar to Remix OS 2, but it has update versions running on Marshmallow, but only for computers. It's installed on Windows machines as a regular program, kind of like some versions of Linux that let you begin the install procedure in Windows (or at least some older versions of Linux did if it's not being done anymore). I wouldn't try any other version of Phoenix than the one listed here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=122001. It's not bad, but it does start off in Chinese, however it's fairly easy to select English or another language if needed. I'm just waiting for my backup of the my current ROM to finish, which might be a while since the total backup will be 7776 megs in size.

Guest pawwaap

Would you suggest installing PhoenixOS too, is it possible to install normally flashing through TWRP and are there any other patches necessary or just this installation file?

What about any comparison between RemixOS and PhoenixOS, has PhoenixOS these RemixOS"s deficiencies improved?

Guest Android4Life
16 minutes ago, pawwaap said:

Would you suggest installing PhoenixOS too, is it possible to install normally flashing through TWRP and are there any other patches necessary or just this installation file?

What about any comparison between RemixOS and PhoenixOS, has PhoenixOS these RemixOS"s deficiencies improved?

If you install the version of Phoenix found at the link I posted, then you can install it using TWRP like any other version of Android. The lock screen for Phoenix is a little different than that of Remix 2, it somewhat reminds me of Windows. There are some other differences, but the main one is that you can't install third party launchers like you can in Remix 2, or at least I couldn't find a way to do it myself. By the way, I just installed and booted Cyanogenmod 13, and I'm going through the setup now. I think if a custom Android ROM says Vi10 Plus, and you're installing it on a Hi10 Plus, you should be fine without the patch that's     offered  for some of the other ones. Then again, Phoenix installed and ran just fine on the Hi10 Pro I used to have.

Guest pawwaap

It looks like you have confused something: in RemixOS cant install any third party launchers, does it mean in Phoenix it can?

Guest Android4Life
2 minutes ago, pawwaap said:

It looks like you have confused something: in RemixOS cant install any third party launchers, does it mean in Phoenix it can?

Actually, through a little trick using Terminal Emulator, you can disable the default launcher and enable third party launchers. I've done a couple times, and my most current backup of Remix 2 has TSF Launcher installed and running with widgets, just like in regular Android ROMs. Here's the link to disable the default launcher and enable third party launchers: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/remix-os-for-pc/STQrBDbQPFM/C1-VjkykCgAJ. If you decide to try it, just make sure that whichever launcher you try to use is set to full screen mode. To do that, go into 'Applications', or whatever it says in Remix 2, and one of the options you'll see will say something about full screen or windowed. Just set it to full, then launch the launcher. Think of it as using Windows 8-10 with 'Slideshow' set as your background with a selection of pictures that change. You'll be able to install and select whichever live background you like, widgets, and still have the taskbar at the bottom, which you can hide (just like Windows), and the whole windowed app thing.

Guest Android4Life
Just now, pawwaap said:

In this light RemixOS rises to top in the ranking ;)

Cool beans. Just a word of warning, though. Your experience may be different than mine, but there's a chance you may experience somewhat lower quality Wi-Fi than when using other versions of Android. I think it's the Wi-Fi driver for that particular ROM, but on both the Hi10 Pro and my current Hi10 Plus, I noticed a difference in network performance in favor of either Cyanogenmod and Lineage. I've ran Speedtest.net on Remix 2, Phoenix OS, and Lineage, and Lineage always showed the highest download speeds. The weird thing is, though, the download and upload speeds on Remix always seemed to be switched (low download and high upload instead of the other way around).

Guest pawwaap

And maybe would you help in some glitch in RemixOS: just added SD card and RemixOS which had been installed and configured previously can't see it (and other ROMs used to see it perfectly). What to do?

Guest Android4Life
38 minutes ago, pawwaap said:

And maybe would you help in some glitch in RemixOS: just added SD card and RemixOS which had been installed and configured previously can't see it (and other ROMs used to see it perfectly). What to do?

Sometimes removing and reinserting the card works. If it doesn't, try doing a full reboot. I've ran into the same difficulty last night and earlier today, but after a reboot or two, the system picks it up. Also, if you have any apps installed that let you perform a 'Hot Reboot' (a reboot that goes directly to the splash screen instead of a full restart), that may have an affect on your system being able to detect the card. I've had the same issue using Apps2SD on my Tab 3 8.0 in the past, not sure why it does that. If you're using a Hi10 Plus, there's supposed to a BIOS fix for the SD card if you're having more trouble with it not being                detected. If you opt for the BIOS SD card fix, make sure you read ALL the instructions carefully, and ONLY apply the one made specifically for YOUR tablet. Otherwise, you may end up with a rectangular paper weight. Tips for that can be found on the Chuwi forums.

Guest pawwaap

You can also do a quick search for 'multi-window in Cyanogenmod 12.1', which is what I did. You'll find a lot of links that should prove useful

Its rather the opposite, links found thus are of just two categories: Developer's Options multiwindow option, and Xposed module XHaloFloating... - what proved ineffective.

Also in the PlayStore there are such apps just for Samsung Galaxy, the others are just imitations which at their best have their inbuilt floating apps, and shortcuts to installed apps they can only launch with original full screen.

It looks like the RemixOS, PhoenixOS and MM Developer's Options "multiwindow" support are the only option for ChuwiHi10plus.

Guest pawwaap

It's succeeded making XHaloFloatingWindow work in this Cyanogenmod 12.1 at last, however I've began tampering with its settings, have made changes to SystemUI Mods (in spite of warning there) and made system ui actually crash completely, no boot possible. It was necessary to restore system from the TWRP backup and now can't recreate working of this XHaloFloatingWindow, maybe anybody helps?

Guest KonstaT
5 hours ago, Hi12Guy said:

Anybody have custom Kernel to use zen and allucard governor? (Hi12)

You'd need to have kernel source for Hi12 first...

Guest Android4Life

Does anyone know what file format Lineage 13 uses for the Hi10 Plus? I keep experiencing SD card glitches every once-in-a-while, and I want to try reformatting the card to see if that may help. It's a card I pulled out of my Galaxy Note 4 running a rooted stock version of Lollipop.

Guest mckennal
13 hours ago, Hi12Guy said:

Anybody else got slow charging with Hi12? 5% only after 35 minutes charging.

Are you using the original charger and cable? I had strange issues (Hi12 not turning on) when I was charging using a different (2A) charger.

Guest Hi12Guy
14 hours ago, mckennal said:

Are you using the original charger and cable? I had strange issues (Hi12 not turning on) when I was charging using a different (2A) charger.

Nope, Chuwi charger falls out everytime... maybe it's really charger thanks :)