[DEV][ROM][28.1.] CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) for Chuwi Vi10 Plus, Hi10 Plus, Hi10 Pro, Hibook, Hibook Pro & Hi12

Guest KonstaT

Guest pawwaap

Hi again, the issues you experiencing are new to me since I use other browsers and media players. And just tried Firefox, indeed its layout is distorted. Please add the AndroidWebView to the WhiteList in XHFW3, it helps:

a084907120f0d1b7662fdd5631d7b2c8.jpg

As you can see there is some extra padding in the bottom of the window but title bar is ok already ;)

And this extra padding although looks awkward in fact it is harmless, e.g. it easily hides out of the screen when moved to the bottom:b784d6299d35c79233443fdbcaadbf24.jpg

And besides of it how do you find this Android with XHFW3, which is better: this one, LineageOS MM with XHFW3 too, or RemixOS hacked to have third party launcher e.g. Nova?

Guest Android4Life
1 hour ago, pawwaap said:

Hi again, the issues you experiencing are new to me since I use other browsers and media players. And just tried Firefox, indeed its layout is distorted. Please add the AndroidWebView to the WhiteList in XHFW3, it helps:

a084907120f0d1b7662fdd5631d7b2c8.jpg

As you can see there is some extra padding in the bottom of the window but title bar is ok already ;)

And this extra padding although looks awkward in fact it is harmless, e.g. it easily hides out of the screen when moved to the bottom:b784d6299d35c79233443fdbcaadbf24.jpg

And besides of it how do you find this Android with XHFW3, which is better: this one, LineageOS MM with XHFW3 too, or RemixOS hacked to have third party launcher e.g. Nova?

I actually uninstalled it. I have Malwarebytes installed, and it flagged it as a Trojan. It might not mean anything, but since I probably wouldn't use windowed apps to much anyways, I won't miss it to much.

Guest pawwaap

It is opposite to what I like 👍

If anybody else wished to use XHFW3 it's worth mentioning it works good without anything like MultiWindowSideBar utility, if apps to use in windows are added to WhiteList of XHFW3 they launch at once in the windowed state when clicked straight from e.g. NovaLauncher.

And after adding to WhiteList Android needs to reboot to have the changes working stable.

And what is Malwarebytes, is it antivirus for MSwindows or Android platform?

Guest Android4Life
7 hours ago, pawwaap said:

It is opposite to what I like

If anybody else wished to use XHFW3 it's worth mentioning it works good without anything like MultiWindowSideBar utility, if apps to use in windows are added to WhiteList of XHFW3 they launch at once in the windowed state when clicked straight from e.g. NovaLauncher.

And after adding to WhiteList Android needs to reboot to have the changes working stable.

And what is Malwarebytes, is it antivirus for MSwindows or Android platform?

If Wi-Fi performance was similar to what I get in Lineage 14 or CM 13 or CM 12.1 (12.1 is Cyanogenmod's Lollipop ROM), I would probably be using Remix 2 more often since apps in windowed form look so much better, due to the fact the ROM was designed from the beginning to be used as a desktop version of Android. It's also the same reason I use Android more often than not when I'm at the library instead of Windows, the Wi-Fi can be a little sketchy in Windows, or it could just be there's so many people on the network there and they may not have enough repeaters/extenders in place. Anyway, Malwarebytes is an anti-virus program for Windows and Android, which I have installed on everything I own. it's free and starts off with premium features as a trial, but when the trial period ends, you can still use the program. The main difference is, at least in Windows, is that it doesn't run in the background or automatically start when Windows loads. You have to manually launch it and click 'Start'. Other than that, it works pretty well. On Android, however, it's a little different. It'll run in the background and does start when you start your device. It'll periodically scan your mobile device every once-in-a-while and tell you if it finds anything that could ruin your phone. It also tells you if it finds anything suspicious when you install new apps, such as XHFW3 in my case, which is why I uninstalled it. I might reinstall it again sometime, because you can get a similar warning when installing apps outside of the Play Store, which is why you have to make sure 'Unknown Sources' is enabled if you want to be able to install apps like that.

Guest pawwaap

" Remix 2 more often since apps in windowed form look so much better"

You know, you are saying for yourself, many people would say the opposite: I like the XHFW style even when compared to RemixOS, they are more flexible, e.g. you can choose size of the titlebars.

Also it has its deficiency: windows should remember their sizes and positions, like in RemixOS can, it annoys me a bit. And maybe it is somehow possible to setup in the newest version of XHFW3? Yet to discover.

Guest Android4Life

Quick poll...

How many people here use the Hi10 Plus dual boot tablet that runs Windows 10 and some variant of Android?

Of those people, how many experience issues with the SD card reader? Specifically, issues such as Android (for me, it doesn't seem to matter which version) behaving as if the card had been removed after

leaving the tablet alone for a while after turning the display off. I restored my backup of Remix just a little earlier today, about an hour or so ago, left it alone for a while, then woke it up to find the default file

explorer open like I had either removed or inserted a memory card.This happens whenever I'm running CM 12.1, Lineage 14, and now Remix 2. For all I know, the backup of Phoenix I have probably does it,

too. I can't speak for the original 5.1 stock ROM the thing came with, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did the exact same thing. It's not like it prevents the tablet from running properly or anything, but when using

apps like Apps2SD so you can install decent-sized games like Dead Trigger 2 and other games of about the same size, or bigger, it gets a little annoying. Anywho, someone pop in here to let me know I'm not

alone in this. I know others have had issues with the reader in their device, but I just wanted to see if there have been similar issues with other users. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone here spent some quality time with the stock Android 5.1 ROM that originally came their Hi10 Plus when they got their tablet? What I'm wondering is if the SD card thing is due to us running a custom ROM  of some kind, or just the tablet in general. I kind of want to test it myself, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has experienced the same issues with their stock 5.1.

Guest Android4Life

I may be possibly stating the obvious here, but the stock ROM has the same issue with the SD card as everything else I've tried. It even un-mounts the card after a hot reboot, where in Lineage 13 it stays mounted.

Guest mila275j

Hi, KonstaT. 

I've been using your CyanogenMod 12.1 on my Hi12 for some time and really appreciate it!  

But there is some minor issue. The build in wifi module is weak and slow thus I've bought external (usb-wifi AC) module COMFAST CF-915AC (it is based on Realtek rtl8812au chip). It works great on Windows, but I can not set it up in CM12. 

I found sources for this chip on https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au and it seems like it's Makefile contains support for Android X86. I even tried to compile something (ko-module) using Kernel sources provided in this topic - https://github.com/CM-CHT/android_kernel_intel_cherrytrail/tree/cm-12.1 and android ndk. While the compilation seems to be successful (maybe not), the result module doesn't run on device (insmod commands errors with certification).

Is it even possible to run this adapter on Hi12 Android? Can you please help me install it?

Thanks!

Edited by mila275j

Guest KonstaT
49 minutes ago, mila275j said:

Hi, KonstaT. 

I've been using your CyanogenMod 12.1 on my Hi12 for some time and really appreciate it!  

But there is some minor issue. The build in wifi module is weak and slow thus I've bought external (usb-wifi AC) module COMFAST CF-915AC (it is based on Realtek rtl8812au chip). It works great on Windows, but I can not set it up in CM12. 

I found sources for this chip on https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au and it seems like it's Makefile contains support for Android X86. I even tried to compile something (ko-module) using Kernel sources provided in this topic - https://github.com/CM-CHT/android_kernel_intel_cherrytrail/tree/cm-12.1 and android ndk. While the compilation seems to be successful (maybe not), the result module doesn't run on device (insmod commands errors with certification).

Is it even possible to run this adapter on Hi12 Android? Can you please help me install it?

Thanks!

There's no kernel source for Hi12. At least touchscreen and audio won't work so adding a wifi driver is not your biggest problem...

Module signature checking is enabled in the kernel (CONFIG_MODULE_SIG) so unsigned/mismatching modules will not load.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest mila275j

I am not trying to build & install kernel from sources for hi12 with specific modules. I want to compile external module (*.ko) for wifi adapter using kernel provided by CM-CHT (only for *.ko module compilation).

After that I want to run (by insmod) compiled kernel module on my pre-compiled (retail) kernel.

Is it possible? Or it won't work due to kernel differences?

Can I sigh *.ko module with my certificate (on linux machine) and then install this certificate on Hi12? Or there are specific kernel certificates for this purpose?

P.s. sorry for noob questions.

Guest KonstaT
5 hours ago, mila275j said:

I am not trying to build & install kernel from sources for hi12 with specific modules. I want to compile external module (*.ko) for wifi adapter using kernel provided by CM-CHT (only for *.ko module compilation).

After that I want to run (by insmod) compiled kernel module on my pre-compiled (retail) kernel.

Is it possible? Or it won't work due to kernel differences?

Can I sigh *.ko module with my certificate (on linux machine) and then install this certificate on Hi12? Or there are specific kernel certificates for this purpose?

P.s. sorry for noob questions.

Not possible because of the module signature check. You need to build both kernel and modules at the same time.

Guest Android4Life

Has anyone here had more luck when using a certain type/brand of SD card in their Hi10 Plus, or any other Chuwi tablet? I can't remember the brand of the first I tried, but my current card is a SanDisk Ultra Plus 32GB HC I. I chatted with Amazon support, since Amazon is where I got my tablet from, and they're willing to let me return it if it comes to that. I'd really rather not, since the rest of the tablet works fine. Any info regarding compatible cards is helpful, and thanks in advance.

Guest Android4Life
4 minutes ago, pawwaap said:

I use Samsung and is ok so far

Do you still experience the same un-mounting issues most of us have been having, or does it stay mounted even after a reboot? Also, are you using the card in a Hi10 Plus or a different tablet?

Guest pawwaap

Yes, in the same tablet Hi10plus, it stays mounted continuously even between reboots. In the very beginning there was the issue with spontaneous SD unmount but it settled by itself. Probably this is just on a fresh system.

Guest Android4Life
4 hours ago, pawwaap said:

Yes, in the same tablet Hi10plus, it stays mounted continuously even between reboots. In the very beginning there was the issue with spontaneous SD unmount but it settled by itself. Probably this is just on a fresh system.

I may try that, but I don't have a Samsung card to experiment with at the moment. What ROM are you using? I only know of six that are available for our tablet: Stock, Cyanogenmod 12.1/13, Lineage 13, Remix OS 2, and Phoenix. I've been running Lineage 13, and have a little 20 games installed, all of the big ones are linked to a 8 gig ext4 partition on my SanDisk 32 gig card. Sometimes when I back up apps that have been linked, I run into issues when trying to restore them. If it leads to my card staying mounted, though, it's a small price to pay.

I forgot to ask... were you able to get the card to show up in Windows, or is it still playing hide and seek?

Edited by Android4Life

Guest pawwaap

I use Cyanogenmod 12.1/13, Lineage 13 and Remix OS 2, PhoenixOS is too limitfull, and yes in Windows the card is visible without a problem. (Although in the beginning the was a problem in MSwin10, it's interesting why and how it self repaired?)

Guest ct-test

[Kiitos käyttiksistä Konsta Bladesta Chuwi Hi10 plussaan!]

Tried to install [APP][ROOT][4.4+]Battery Charge Limit which said "your device is not supported". Found some instruction to change /sys/class/power_supply/battery folder charging_enabled file. No such path exists. There is however dollar_cove_charger folder with charge control files. Would this do the trick?

Maybe I'm missing something - is there other way in developers option to set the charging limit to say e.g. 80% ?

Guest Android4Life
3 hours ago, ct-test said:

[Kiitos käyttiksistä Konsta Bladesta Chuwi Hi10 plussaan!]

Tried to install [APP][ROOT][4.4+]Battery Charge Limit which said "your device is not supported". Found some instruction to change /sys/class/power_supply/battery folder charging_enabled file. No such path exists. There is however dollar_cove_charger folder with charge control files. Would this do the trick?

Maybe I'm missing something - is there other way in developers option to set the charging limit to say e.g. 80% ?

Developer Options does have a lot of nifty settings, but unfortunately that's not one of them.

Guest Android4Life
On 5/23/2017 at 4:12 PM, pawwaap said:

I use Cyanogenmod 12.1/13, Lineage 13 and Remix OS 2, PhoenixOS is too limitfull, and yes in Windows the card is visible without a problem. (Although in the beginning the was a problem in MSwin10, it's interesting why and how it self repaired?)

Well, I tried doing a fresh install of Lineage 13 a couple days ago and let the tablet sit overnight before restoring my apps, and the card seemed to stay put. However, once I restored my apps and games it started to do the same thing as on my backed up Lineage 13 from before. When leaving it alone after the initial install, with nothing on it other than the ROM itself and the tablet unplugged, the card stayed mounted. After restoring the apps and games, not so much. It still doesn't show in Windows, but I don't really need access to it there, anyway. Whatever I need external storage for there, I can just use a flash drive. It's a small thing, but an annoying one. I may take yet another look at Amazon to see if there's something comparable, again, since the rep I chatted about this with said they'll let me return the tablet if I wanted to since the card reader is acting wonky.

Guest pouskidis

I too have been having problems with the card reader. The problems appear in windows also, and they where there when using 5.1 original android f/w. Now I use cm and still I have to reinsert the card to make it appear. Not to mention other cards that do not show up at all! Talking about 128Mb cards.

Guest Android4Life

Got a new little boo-boo with my Hi10 Plus. I decided to try Remix 2 again in the hopes that my memory card would play nice and cooperate, but I noticed that the card disappeared as soon as I turned off the screen, instead of after a period of time when running Lineage 13. As annoying as that is, though, I can't even get back into my custom recovery to restore my Lineage backup, due to the intermittent flashing once I am able to boot into it. Plus, the thing hangs on the RemixOS logo when attempting to boot into Remix 2. I think I may have somehow borked my recovery, and will try to either reinstall the one that's currently on there, or see if there's an updated version. Wish me luck.

Finally got back into recovery. I think it was my memory card, not sure why. It worked when I reinserted it to restore my Lineage 13 backup. At any rate, little Chuwi is back up and running.

Edited by Android4Life

Guest Android4Life

Not certain yet, but I think I may have finally found a solution to the SD card issue that many of us have been experiencing. While searching for solutions online, I came across someone on XDA that recommended installing 'Wake Lock PowerManager' and enable 'Partial_Wake_Lock'. If I remember correctly, the setting keeps the processor from going to sleep when you turn off the screen. I've ran two tests so far, one for just under 30 minutes and the most recent one that was just over an hour. In both cases, the card was still mounted when waking the tablet:) I'm currently running a third test just to be thorough, but I think this should work. They also recommended installing this app, 'SD Card Monitor', to monitor your card. It displays how many times your card has been mounted, unmounted, etc. I haven't installed it yet, but I may in the future. Unfortunately, though, it doesn't look like this is going to make the card play nice in Windows, or when you have to reboot. I tried rebooting and selecting Android, but it didn't automatically mount the card. For anyone who has to reboot their tablet for some reason and are going back into whichever Android version they have installed, I'd suggest either using the Advanced Power Menu that's included with the custom ROMs made for these tablets or download one of several apps from the app store that support either 'Soft Reboot' or 'Hot Reboot' (same thing). I personally use 'Reboot Recovery', and it requires 'BusyBox'. Don't let the low rating drive you away, it's always worked pretty for me.

Edit: Over 1.5 hours, and the card is still mounted, and the tablet has been unplugged the whole time:) It doesn't look like the app drains the battery, and when checking it's stats in my battery monitor, it uses no resources. The only drain I can see so far is the normal amount from having Wi-Fi on.

Edit two: I was incorrect in saying the 'Wake Lock' doesn't use any resources, since I hadn't let it run long enough yet to properly gauge it. It looks like it actually uses around 12% or so, but still not sure how it will affect the battery life on a full charge, since I installed the app after my tablet had been unplugged for several hours before. I should have a better idea after letting it charge, after letting it run down today, of course.

Edited by Android4Life

Guest Android4Life

I installed 'Wake Lock' on my Hi10 Plus on Monday, and my SD card hasn't unmounted itself once. I haven't rebooted it since installing the app, but when leaving it alone with the screen off for long periods of time when it would normally kick the card to the curb, it has stayed mounted. Also, even though it uses around 12% battery, it doesn't pose much of drain on the battery. At one point when I had checked the battery life, it was a little over 70% I think, and the battery monitor in Settings said there was still about a day's worth of charge left. Not bad.

• 2 weeks later...