Jump to content
diracsdeltafunction

Can I sideload the stock Hudl rom pinned on this forum?

Recommended Posts

I have a Hudl that I decided to factory reset in the hope of getting it back to its original configuration, and then to reinstall everything. But it's now continually trying to download Hudl updates, making it useless since the server providing the updates probably doesn't exist anymore.

The obvious solution left is to send a file to it via "adb sideload hudl.20131016.200812.stock.rktools" command in the abd command shell for Windows. Is this how the file is meant to be used and will it work?

Thanks in advance

JMc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming I've understood you correctly, I don't think that will work, no. You'll need to download the RKtools application to flash that file, see the third link in the first post of this thread here and then follow the steps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2017 at 5:15 AM, diracsdeltafunction said:

I have a Hudl that I decided to factory reset in the hope of getting it back to its original configuration, and then to reinstall everything. But it's now continually trying to download Hudl updates, making it useless since the server providing the updates probably doesn't exist anymore.

Hopefully not too off-topic, but I've been trying to do the same thing for my daughter's Hudl 1 for the past few days, getting stuck in an endless loop of checking for updates and being told that the updates server has stopped. I've been on to Tesco tech support live chat and been told, twice, that they are currently working on they are aware of the issue and that it's due to work being done on their "updates server". The first agent assured me that the Hudl would be fine when this work is completed, advising me to try again today when it should have been resolved.

It's still not working and another agent has advised that he/she doesn't know when the work will be completed. Not completely confident, but an official line at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 11:09 AM, flurry said:

Assuming I've understood you correctly, I don't think that will work, no. You'll need to download the RKtools application to flash that file, see the third link in the first post of this thread here and then follow the steps.

Windows 10 recognizes the Hudl fine, but when I go through the procedure of resetting and holding the up volume at the same time, Windows gives the message: USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows did not recognize it.

I've given up on this and tried to do it from Linux which has been a right pain for the past few days. I kept getting the message that it couldn't run the binary file, eventually finding out that the Rktools are for 64-bit processors, whereas my computer is i686 32 bit. There was a 32 bit RKtool on here, but it's no longer downloadable. So now it looks as if I'm now going to have to complile a 32-bit version by myself.

Cheers,

JMc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 11:24 AM, Rpt3fois said:

Hopefully not too off-topic, but I've been trying to do the same thing for my daughter's Hudl 1 for the past few days, getting stuck in an endless loop of checking for updates and being told that the updates server has stopped..

It's still not working and another agent has advised that he/she doesn't know when the work will be completed. Not completely confident, but an official line at least.

I wouldn't hold my breath for it. The last Hudls were sold a year ago so Tesco doesn't have to have the Hudl servers running today. Stick around and I'll let you know how I've been getting on with finding a solution. But it's been a right pain up to now because this is 2017, and the old threads with the old tools are four years old.

JMc

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New member here. Unfortunately, I've just run into this problem too. After 3 years, my Hudl had reduced to a snail's pace (too many heavyweight apps installed, I fear) so I naively performed a hardware factory restore as per http://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3569 (NB. this is a current Tesco page with no warning of doom). While we still have a glimmer of hope that an update server will be resurrected, it would make sense for anyone in our situation to make contact with Tesco, e.g. via the form at https://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/ask/ .

 
In the meantime, I have had success using a Windows 7 x64 machine to flash across the most recent stock ROM (v1.3.1), which is still available from CaptainMidnight (see http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/372551-stock-hudl-rom-for-windows-rktools17-latest-available-rom-v131-build-jdq3920140424153851/?do=findComment&comment=2251474 ). I have also tried Tabbiedroid v1.5 ( http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/366207-rom-tabbiedroid-v15-for-rktools-v17-with-update-bypass-for-those-with-13-update-woes-rom/ ) and Helios v1.0 ( http://freaktab.com/forum/tablet-support-android/other-oem-tablets/9016-helios-rom-v1-0-tesco-hudl ) but none of these ROMs bypass the standard set of questions on first boot and all get stuck.
 
On the off-chance that the cunning Hudl ROM builders from this forum still keep an eye on this device, how easy would it be to remove the startup questions from the initial boot sequence? I would happily set up wi-fi and Google manually if it meant that I could use my Hudl again.
 

Btw, I notice that Rockchip offer some Windows 8 RK3188 bootloader drivers at http://www.rockchip.nl/downloads/ – has anyone tried them with Windows 10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had this problem for the past week.

 not much information on this except from this forum.

 

I am not amused by Tesco doing this, basically bricking our Hudls without any kind of notification on what they planned to do.   

 I have sent this message to Tesco.

 

 

 

"Why has Tesco appear to have prevented factory reinstalled hudls from working when i felt my tablet was running slow i did a factory reinstall?

I cannot get past the tesco update page so i can use my tablet as normal, i have had this problem for over a week now.

I believe you(Tesco) have damaged a item i paid for and belongs to me.
Please either sort this problem out asap or give me full refund of £99 (what i paid when i bought the hudl) so i can purchase a item that will not be destroyed by the manufacturer."     

 

Edited by marc simpson
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crumbstructure said:

New member here. Unfortunately, I've just run into this problem too. After 3 years, my Hudl had reduced to a snail's pace (too many heavyweight apps installed, I fear) so I naively performed a hardware factory restore as per http://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3569 (NB. this is a current Tesco page with no warning of doom). While we still have a glimmer of hope that an update server will be resurrected, it would make sense for anyone in our situation to make contact with Tesco, e.g. via the form at https://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/ask/ .

 
In the meantime, I have had success using a Windows 7 x64 machine to flash across the most recent stock ROM (v1.3.1), which is still available from CaptainMidnight (see http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/372551-stock-hudl-rom-for-windows-rktools17-latest-available-rom-v131-build-jdq3920140424153851/?do=findComment&comment=2251474 ). I have also tried Tabbiedroid v1.5 ( http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/366207-rom-tabbiedroid-v15-for-rktools-v17-with-update-bypass-for-those-with-13-update-woes-rom/ ) and Helios v1.0 ( http://freaktab.com/forum/tablet-support-android/other-oem-tablets/9016-helios-rom-v1-0-tesco-hudl ) but none of these ROMs bypass the standard set of questions on first boot and all get stuck.
 
On the off-chance that the cunning Hudl ROM builders from this forum still keep an eye on this device, how easy would it be to remove the startup questions from the initial boot sequence? I would happily set up wi-fi and Google manually if it meant that I could use my Hudl again.
 

Btw, I notice that Rockchip offer some Windows 8 RK3188 bootloader drivers at http://www.rockchip.nl/downloads/ – has anyone tried them with Windows 10?

Tried many times on Windows 10,  as far as i can tell it simply does not work but i had a Windows 7 installation on a laptop so used that instead and the drivers work perfectly.

 About bypassing the standard questions  i did find the tabbiedroid rom seem to work by bypassing the hudl questions but failed on updating google apps   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to flash it under Win10 x64, just had to install the reg file from https://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot.com/2014/06/how-to-easily-install-rockchip-rockusb.html

(on Win10 only install the "variant 1" on that page, the "variant 2" .sys file fix is for Win8.1, don't install that on Win10!)

Had some difficulty getting it flashing though, it was sometimes just stopping after "Download IDB Start", moving it from a blue USB 3.0 port to a black USB 2.0 got me passed that though. Then I had a problem where it would get 50-60% through flashing and then just fail randomly, turned out I was using a bad cable!

After all that I managed to boot it up, get through setup... and now it says there's an update available, no more "hudl updater has crashed"!

I think the update server is still up, but when you do a factory reset it breaks the updater (http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2015/07/complete-hudl-wipe-with-reflash-to-revert-to-factory-settings.htm mentions factory reset deleting parts of the updater files... nice job tesco?)

Anyway hope this helps.

Edit: oh nevermind... after updating to 1.3.1 it continued setup which checked for updates again, and fails this time with "Couldn't check for updates" with no way out... At least it's not crashing anymore, but again nice job tesco! Hope someone can make a hacked rom or something to get passed it.

Edited by stoker25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/07/2017 at 7:46 PM, diracsdeltafunction said:

I wouldn't hold my breath for it. The last Hudls were sold a year ago so Tesco doesn't have to have the Hudl servers running today. Stick around and I'll let you know how I've been getting on with finding a solution. But it's been a right pain up to now because this is 2017, and the old threads with the old tools are four years old.

On 16/07/2017 at 1:11 PM, marc simpson said:

I am not amused by Tesco doing this, basically bricking our Hudls without any kind of notification on what they planned to do.

Cheers J - I did wonder whether the old posts would be obsolete by now. I'm loath to try any unofficial solution for now while I have numerous Tesco employees telling me that they are working to solve it, though you might guess my confidence levels on that.

Marc - exactly. If there had been any indication that doing something as routine as a software reset would brick the device, I wouldn't have done it. As of this weekend, the tech support pages were still offering troubleshooting advice that will leave people stuck, with no indication of any problems with their servers. Having gone from the first tech support rep telling me that I should be good-to-go within 24 hours, to a third offering the 'wipe cache' option as a possible solution (it wasn't) and being deliberately vague when asked about a timeline for the alleged server work being completed. Having also been blatantly lied to by an Amazon customer "support" rep in the last few days, too, I think I'm done with supposed technical types as a way to get help for now.

As you suggest in your complaint, the only thing preventing us from having a working device is Tesco itself. I'll be following your example and writing to them later today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'm going with the assumption that Marc S moved some helpful soul at Tesco to press the right button and make it work again this morning...

Good work, Sir! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rpt3fois said:

And I'm going with the assumption that Marc S moved some helpful soul at Tesco to press the right button and make it work again this morning...

Good work, Sir! :D

Yep, mine is now working so cheers Marc S!

Tesco is under no obligation to have the update servers running today since the last Hudls were sold over a year ago, so a main thanks to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of interest, using the Linux-64 RKTools I flashed my fully working unrooted Hudl with the factory-reset unrooted rom to find they're identical, which is hardly surprising I guess. The relevant file is JDQ39.20140424.153851 size 1,048,156 KB available elsewhere. Note that this file is different to the two stock roms on the main page to be flashed under Windows 7.

So a far easier future solution to the Hudl update server disappearing would be to adb sideload a factor-reset Hudl with a file containing all the updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its seems Tesco has fixed the problem. 

 

All my Hudls up & running. 

I would like more information on the problem they have resolved & will the problem happen again?  

I got this email from Tesco.

 "Hi Marc,

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to hear you were having the update issue after the resetting your hudl.

The issue has now been resolved, if you reset your hudl again it will now update correctly.

When your device is powered off, press and hold the power and volume up buttons for 45 seconds.

You should then see the Android logo followed by the Android system recovery screen, you can navigate the list using the volume up and down buttons, use the power to select.

Navigate to "Wipe data/Factory reset"

On the next screen navigate to "Delete all user data"

Then select "Reboot system now"

If there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards"

Edited by marc simpson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.