Hudl 2 connects to wifi but Tesco update server not switched on

Guest Emphatic Groan

Guest BuddyB
2 hours ago, BellAlistair said:

Regards Tesco's approach to sale of goods act, I have had that conversation with the tech support and was told that emailing details and proof of purchase to [email protected] would result in them considering it but given the price and the length of time it had been in use I was advised not to expect them to consider much if any residual value.

I get their point but it misses the fact that the hardware is perfectly functional, it is their deliberate act that has resulted in the failure not some component wearing out.

I rather hope for more success in emailing chief exec and pointing out that up to now I'd considered Tesco a reasonably trustworthy company to do business with, but given the current saga, no longer if what I have been told by support is true... I nearly bought a smartphone from them the day before I reset my Hudl, it seems that might have been a lucky escape!

Very interesting.  Tesco has had a lot of negative press in recent years, so when I emailed Dave Lewis I thought he might consider it a chance for a good bit of customer service, but didn't hold out much hope because CEOs work at a strategic level rather than operational. However, I got a positive and empathetic response from Lewis Gorrie on his behalf it, saying he understood exactly where I was coming from because his young kids are still using his old hudl.  So that made me think there was a chance of something being done, especially the posters on this thread were chasing Tesco too.  Then Anna even started having exchanges with tech support and it looked like something was finally happening, especially when we were told Tesco was in discussion with its business partners (presumably Wistron).  

However, yesterday I read two things that made me think I might have been over optimistic.  Firstly, it turns out that Dave Lewis was brought into Tesco to oversee a restructuring of the company and move it back to its roots selling groceries.   Under his management we've seen the closure of Tesco Direct and ties cut with various markets like insurance and finance.  It strikes me now that while he might have effectively told Lewis Gorrie to see if there was a quick and cheap solution to the problem, I doubt he will like tech support staff spending a lot of time on the problem.  Plus my email from Lewis Gorrie last Friday did not bode well when he announced to me the same solution that in the email Anna received on 27th February - which didn't work for most people.  I felt fobbed off and started thinking again that the company was testing the water to see if there was a chance of the matter being taken further e.g. some kind of legal action.  Secondly, at the time in 2015 Tesco announced there would be no hudl3 and no more hudl2s would be made, most of the technical team who worked on the hudl had already left the company. The announcements made big news in the IT sector because the hudl had been a runaway success and set the standards for budget tablets  i.e.  Tesco pulled the plug on a very successful project.  So more than three years later Tesco might not even have staff with much knowledge of the legacy software.  

What bugs me is Tesco has never actually said it will no longer provide technical support for the hudl.  As much as I hate it when it happens, IT companies make that kind of announcement all the time especially with mobiles making them obsolete or virtually unusable.  We see it all the time even with Android products and apps. Hudl1 owners will have a very limited choice of popular apps, hudl2 owners a bit better choice.  We probably wouldn't get much sympathy from the public for our predicament, even if they agree it shouldn't be like this.  That's life. 

I really hope I'm wrong and Tesco comes up with a solution. How difficult can it be to remove the 'ping' feature that stops the tablet from connecting to the Internet and release for download the updates and upgrades relevant to both devices at the end? 

Guest Sarkie

Can I have a bit of help from users still stuck please if you are technical enough?

Install Fiddler 4

Follow these instructions on your Hudl, you might have to do to the workaround to load the fiddler ipv4 test page.

https://docs.telerik.com/fiddler/Configure-Fiddler/Tasks/ConfigureForAndroid

Then do the part that runs an update and then save the session in Fiddler and send me the file.

What I'm thinking is, I can then write a Fiddler Script to return the correct response to allow us to continue the install.

Thanks

Guest Videnie

I do really think that we need to root our Hudles and remove Tesco rubish from startup. If you install third party launcher and some startup manager under user "Owner" you will see Hudl update and etc, but as I understood to remove it you need to have root rights.

I have been following other peoples' progress with interest as I have a Hudl 1. Ironically I had sold it on eBay, but of course the last thing I did was a factory reset! So the buyer couldn't connect it and wanted a refund, so I am now minus £7 for the postage costs.

I emailed Tesco tech support yesterday, asking them for a partial refund of the Hudl, made up of the price I sold it for plus the postage. The response was a resounding no, with the following information. Of particular note is the statement that the Hudl 1 has "reached the end of its life", followed by instructions that "we know only works on Hudl 2".

Has anyone gone to the national press about this issue yet? Telling everyone with a Hudl 1 that they have a defunct tablet is hardly customer-friendly (nor environmentally-friendly). And has Tesco put out a warning to the public not to perform a factory reset on any Hudls that are still working?

I'm sorry to hear your Hudl 1 no longer works. The issue regarding the server has now been resolved and we have sent out a guide on how to fix the tablets. Unfortunately, the Hudl 1 is no longer supported by any updates as it has reached the end of its life. The server works and you will be able to connect to wi-fi but you will not be able to fully complete the instructions to get the tablet completely working again. You are more than welcome to try to see if you are able to fix it but unfortunately, if you can't we would also no longer be able to help. I'm so sorry for this. 

The guide we sent out is included below but from what we know only works on Hudl 2; 

1. After a factory reset, the first thing the user has to do is to Select Wi-Fi which ensures that customers are connected to the Internet
  2. Following that, when it accesses Hudl Services which is back online, it will ask to Continue after the “Terms & Conditions” dialog box
  3. After clicking on Continue, “Set up Google interface” will pop up. The user has to select No
  4. Following that, the “Google & Location” interface will be displayed. Uncheck all the checkboxes and click on Arrow Button
  5. Then “Have a Tesco Account interface” will be displayed, user must select No. Following that on “Register with Tesco Account” interface user should Skip it
  6. After skipping Tesco Account Interface, the Hudl will try to update showing a progress bar
  7. After “Checking for updates”, ”Updating apps” progress interface will be shown
  8. After “Updating apps” progress interface, two buttons will appear. User must select Not Now
  9. After selecting Not Now, Hudl’s initial video will be played after which user should click on Continue
  10. Finally, the user will be at the Home Interface 

Guest Daveab
4 hours ago, JLG4 said:

I have been following other peoples' progress with interest as I have a Hudl 1. Ironically I had sold it on eBay, but of course the last thing I did was a factory reset! So the buyer couldn't connect it and wanted a refund, so I am now minus £7 for the postage costs.

I emailed Tesco tech support yesterday, asking them for a partial refund of the Hudl, made up of the price I sold it for plus the postage. The response was a resounding no, with the following information. Of particular note is the statement that the Hudl 1 has "reached the end of its life", followed by instructions that "we know only works on Hudl 2".

Has anyone gone to the national press about this issue yet? Telling everyone with a Hudl 1 that they have a defunct tablet is hardly customer-friendly (nor environmentally-friendly). And has Tesco put out a warning to the public not to perform a factory reset on any Hudls that are still working?

I'm sorry to hear your Hudl 1 no longer works. The issue regarding the server has now been resolved and we have sent out a guide on how to fix the tablets. Unfortunately, the Hudl 1 is no longer supported by any updates as it has reached the end of its life. The server works and you will be able to connect to wi-fi but you will not be able to fully complete the instructions to get the tablet completely working again. You are more than welcome to try to see if you are able to fix it but unfortunately, if you can't we would also no longer be able to help. I'm so sorry for this. 

The guide we sent out is included below but from what we know only works on Hudl 2; 

1. After a factory reset, the first thing the user has to do is to Select Wi-Fi which ensures that customers are connected to the Internet
  2. Following that, when it accesses Hudl Services which is back online, it will ask to Continue after the “Terms & Conditions” dialog box
  3. After clicking on Continue, “Set up Google interface” will pop up. The user has to select No
  4. Following that, the “Google & Location” interface will be displayed. Uncheck all the checkboxes and click on Arrow Button
  5. Then “Have a Tesco Account interface” will be displayed, user must select No. Following that on “Register with Tesco Account” interface user should Skip it
  6. After skipping Tesco Account Interface, the Hudl will try to update showing a progress bar
  7. After “Checking for updates”, ”Updating apps” progress interface will be shown
  8. After “Updating apps” progress interface, two buttons will appear. User must select Not Now
  9. After selecting Not Now, Hudl’s initial video will be played after which user should click on Continue
  10. Finally, the user will be at the Home Interface 

But even those steps didn't work for my Hudl 2 it just gets stuck on the update screen

Guest Anna65

That's very disheartening if Tesco is saying that the hudl1 has now reached the end of its life, which means they have given up on fixing this problem. However, the proposed solution isn't even working for hudl2s!! Please can EVERYONE here with a hudl2 let Tesco know that their "solution" ISN'T working, just in case they think that it is!!! I will email them again myself too. And maybe, if we can make them come up with a working solution for hudl2s it might end up working for hudl1s too. 

PS. Please also all be aware that Tesco does follow this thread!!!

Guest Mel.D
On 3/13/2019 at 2:14 PM, Mel.D said:

I've emailed Tesco tech support telling them that I have the same problem as all the other people and do they have a solution yet.
I've emailed Tesco CEO Dave Lewis with the same too but added that I believe Tesco have an obligation to resolve the issue, giving my reasons and citing the Sale of Goods Act,

I haven't heard from Dave Lewis's customer service guy but I did get a response from Tesco Tech Support the following day, so credit to them for promptness.

Dissappointingly the techies response I received was the standard 10 point Hudl start up instructions they are currently issuing which work for almost no one and didn't work for me either. Notably though instruction 2 says,  "2. Following that, when it accesses Hudl Services which is back online, it will ask to Continue after the “Terms & Conditions” dialog box." I don't know what the web address is for the Hudl Services or what you'd find when you got there but maybe some internet savvy brainiac on the forum could make some use of this snippet of info.

I've responded to Tech Support and asked them to keep trying, for what it's worth.

Guest Mel.D
10 hours ago, JLG4 said:

Unfortunately, the Hudl 1 is no longer supported by any updates as it has reached the end of its life. The server works and you will be able to connect to wi-fi but you will not be able to fully complete the instructions to get the tablet completely working again. You are more than welcome to try to see if you are able to fix it but unfortunately, if you can't we would also no longer be able to help. I'm so sorry for this. 

I just came accross this in JLG4's post which is mightily disappointing. Which set me thinking: Imagine if Ford for example decided that your car had reached the end of it's life and then they disabled it remotely so you could no longer use it or sell it on.

Guest BuddyB
1 hour ago, Mel.D said:

Dissappointingly the techies response I received was the standard 10 point Hudl start up instructions they are currently issuing which work for almost no one and didn't work for me either. Notably though instruction 2 says,  "2. Following that, when it accesses Hudl Services which is back online, it will ask to Continue after the “Terms & Conditions” dialog box." I don't know what the web address is for the Hudl Services or what you'd find when you got there but maybe some internet savvy brainiac on the forum could make some use of this snippet of info.

Mel I think that's what chrisevilgenius has done on page 2 using BIND software.  He made several posts with the details, but it is much too technical for some of us (me included).  I don't know if anyone can come up with a version we could all try, but it would be fantastic if that happened.  I think it's also what Sarkie is trying to do with his request for help with Fiddler 4 above.  I agree the reply from Tesco posted today by JLG4 is really disappointing, but after my mast reply from Lewis Gorrie I'm honestly not surprised. I suspect I will get a similar email to JLG4's soon.  

Edited by BuddyB
Added Sarkie sentence

Guest BuddyB
12 hours ago, Sarkie said:

Can I have a bit of help from users still stuck please if you are technical enough?

Install Fiddler 4

Follow these instructions on your Hudl, you might have to do to the workaround to load the fiddler ipv4 test page.

Then do the part that runs an update and then save the session in Fiddler and send me the file.

What I'm thinking is, I can then write a Fiddler Script to return the correct response to allow us to continue the install.

Thanks

I don't have access to my laptop until next Thursday, otherwise I would do it. If nobody has done it before then, I'll try to help. 

Guest HuddleIn

My Hudl 1 is connecting to device.mobile.tesco.com

DNS CNAMES to device.mobile.tesco.com.trafficmanager.net which CNAMES to hudl2-bypass.azurewebsites.net which CNAMES to ssl.hudl2-bypass.azurewebsites.net which returns a 404 page

While proxying through Fiddler the Hudl responds with:

Couldn't access internet
An internet connection is needed to setup your Hudl. Please check your Wi-Fi settings or connect to a different network.

I think this is because it doesn't trust the Fiddler certificate.

Request:

CONNECT device.mobile.tesco.com:443 HTTP/1.1
Host: device.mobile.tesco.com
User-Agent: Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; Hudl HT7S3 Build/JDQ39)
Connection: Keep-Alive

After the client received notice of the established CONNECT, it failed to send any data.

Response:

HTTP/1.1 200 Connection Established
FiddlerGateway: Direct
StartTime: 01:01:14.649
Connection: close

Hope this helps

Guest Sarkie
6 hours ago, HuddleIn said:

My Hudl 1 is connecting to device.mobile.tesco.com

DNS CNAMES to device.mobile.tesco.com.trafficmanager.net which CNAMES to hudl2-bypass.azurewebsites.net which CNAMES to ssl.hudl2-bypass.azurewebsites.net which returns a 404 page

While proxying through Fiddler the Hudl responds with:

Couldn't access internet
An internet connection is needed to setup your Hudl. Please check your Wi-Fi settings or connect to a different network.

I think this is because it doesn't trust the Fiddler certificate.

Request:

CONNECT device.mobile.tesco.com:443 HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; Hudl HT7S3 Build/JDQ39)

After the client received notice of the established CONNECT, it failed to send any data.

Response:

HTTP/1.1 200 Connection Established
FiddlerGateway: Direct
StartTime: 01:01:14.649
Connection: close

Hope this helps

Can you go to http://ipv4.fiddler:8888/ in Chrome using the Keyboard trick and then you can download the cert, and if you click you can add to your cert store (you will have to add  security pin or pattern) 

thanks!

Guest Viv01

Hi All,

Firstly, many thanks for your collective efforts on trying to solve this problem. It says a lot that a group of determined amateurs can achieve what the combined ‘might’ of Tesco’s IT department cannot (or will not)….

Thought I’d add a brief report of my experiences  for what they’re worth.

I acquired a second hand HUDL1 some weeks ago and joined the ‘fray’ by sending an email to Dave Lewis after I realised Tesco had switched off their servers. I’ve so far only had one effective reply from Lewis Gorrie, providing me with the standard set of instructions that so far appear only to work for a handful of HUDL2s. Needless to say, I got stuck at the 'searching for updates stage.

Having followed your forum closely throughout, I decided to try the approach suggested by Bill_Door on Tues 12.3 at 0712 using a second user account (you guys certainly start early !). This did actually work when combined with BuddyB’s modification sent on the same day at 0946. The HUDL 1 now functions using a second user account, and I’ve managed to install a selection of new apps, most of which seem to work OK. A definite improvement on the original ‘expensive paperwieght’ syndrome.

There is one operational problem which I would like to sort out, though:

When the tablet starts up, wifi is automatically engaged. Although it is possible to switch it off (either via Settings or the Power control widget) it persists in switching itself back on whenever a new app is started.  My questions are:

a)      Has anyone else encountered this with a resuscitated HUDL1 ? and

b)      If so, have you found any way to switch off wifi such that it stays off ?

I suspect it may be due to the fact that the principal user account is still awaiting setup and forces the system to keep wifi on in order to do this.

Although the problem isn’t exactly ‘terminal’, and the HUDL is perfectly usable,  it does mean in practice that it can only really be used with the charger permanently plugged in, due to the relatively high current use from wifi and screen combined. Also,since the charge rate isn’t high enough to replenish the current drain, eventually the battery will run down and trigger a shutdown if you haven’t already switched off.

Hope this is useful –let me know if you have a solution.

Postscript 23/3/19: Have just solved this issue - the culprit was one of the installed system management apps (KF Software House's Settings App). Not aware of having downloaded it myself, but it was set to Auto, and when I switched this functionality off manually, the wifi stayed off. Have since deleted the app in case it decided to reactivate itself....

Viv

Edited by Viv01
wifi problem solved - please pass on info

Guest Bill_Door

It's official. Tesco are dropping this.  I just has a Tweet DM reply from Tesco:

" We have now been advised that the Hudl 1 and 1st addition Hudl 2's have now reached the end of life. This means that the update that has been put in place will not fix the issue you're seeing we're afraid. We're really sorry for any inconvenience caused by this and apologise we don't have any further resolution."

Guest Anna65
52 minutes ago, Bill_Door said:

It's official. Tesco are dropping this.  I just has a Tweet DM reply from Tesco:

" We have now been advised that the Hudl 1 and 1st addition Hudl 2's have now reached the end of life. This means that the update that has been put in place will not fix the issue you're seeing we're afraid. We're really sorry for any inconvenience caused by this and apologise we don't have any further resolution."

I can't say how outraged and disappointed that makes me feel. I have just emailed the consumer and tech editors at The Guardian. Please feel free to do so too as well as contacting other papers!

Guest Mel.D
On 3/14/2019 at 11:06 AM, Sarkie said:

Install Fiddler 4

I had a play with Fiddler on my Hudl 1 and encountered the following error message (same as Huddlein) below

10 hours ago, HuddleIn said:

Couldn't access internet

4 hours ago, Sarkie said:

Can you go to http://ipv4.fiddler:8888/ in Chrome using the Keyboard trick and then you can download the cert, and if you click you can add to your cert store (you will have to add  security pin or pattern) 

I downloaded the CA certificate and added it to my certificate store with a pin number as directed but still get the 'Couldn't access internet' error during the Hudl boot process. The internet can be accessed freely using Chrome (I've visited a couple of random websites to confirm this), but not by the boot procedure it seems.

Guest grocer

I sent an e-mail to ComputerActive magazine who have a very good readers help page. I have heard back from  them and I believe they will be contacting Tesco.

It seems very odd that Tesco are now saying there is nothing they can do after their initial reply advising how to solve this problem .I am wondering if it is because there is no longer anyone at Tesco with the necessary technical knowledge.!They are after all only grocers.! Seriously though , it is a very poor response  from such a large organisation to dismiss this by saying the tablets have reached the end of their life The whole point is that these tablets were very much alive and working until a Factory reset was attempted.Presumably, the Factory reset procedure has previously been working and so the recent failures are surely the responsibility of Tesco. Perhaps the increasing adverse publicity will jolt them into action.

Guest Anna65
43 minutes ago, grocer said:

I sent an e-mail to ComputerActive magazine who have a very good readers help page. I have heard back from  them and I believe they will be contacting Tesco.

It seems very odd that Tesco are now saying there is nothing they can do after their initial reply advising how to solve this problem .I am wondering if it is because there is no longer anyone at Tesco with the necessary technical knowledge.!They are after all only grocers.! Seriously though , it is a very poor response  from such a large organisation to dismiss this by saying the tablets have reached the end of their life The whole point is that these tablets were very much alive and working until a Factory reset was attempted.Presumably, the Factory reset procedure has previously been working and so the recent failures are surely the responsibility of Tesco. Perhaps the increasing adverse publicity will jolt them into action.

Yes please, everyone write to all papers they can think of to make sure it gets a lot of publicity!!

If they did have to pull the plug on the hudls at all it should have been done by issuing a public advance warning so that people know what's coming. Like e.g. Microsoft does. And in the case of hudl2s the lack of advance warning is especially frustrating as every single hudl2 would have been able to be saved had they been updated to 5.1 Lollipop before the plug was pulled on the server. Personally I am now sitting on a stock of about 50 hudl2s with broken screens, running KitKat, which I have bought on eBay for £20-25 each. Do the maths... ?  I also buy hudl2s with intact screen but broken motherboard and then make fully working ones by taking the motherboard from one with broken screen and transplanting it into one with intact screen. It is at this point, since the motherboard now has access to a working screen, that I would update it to Lollipop as part of the setup and testing process. However, since no deadline was made public I had no idea that there was a need to make sure my entire stock of KitKat motherboards was updated before a certain date. And I will not be the only repair shop, official or unofficial, now sitting on a huge, expensive, pile of worthless stock. I'm not attempting to diminish the experience of the thousands of affected individual owners here, just offering a different angle. And I think Tesco's behaviour has been hugely unethical!

Guest Mel.D

Latest response I've received from Tesco tech support: "The official line is that we have made the decision to no longer support the Hudl range with updates.  If the fix does not work (as in your case), I'm afraid that it's the end of the road for your Hudl"

Edited by Mel.D

Guest Daveab

I'm shocked they've just abandoned the Hudl support especially since there's been no warning.

In my case it was getting slow so I factory wiped it at the startup and now I can't use it anymore?

Guest Anna65
2 hours ago, Mel.D said:

Latest response I've received from Tesco tech support: "The official line is that we have made the decision to no longer support the Hudl range with updates.  If the fix does not work (as in your case), I'm afraid that it's the end of the road for your Hudl"

They say "updates" when it's not updates we're after, it's the ability to contact the server so that our tablets can work, even without any updates. It is a different thing to just kill off two whole ranges of tablets without prior warning! Either they're still not getting the point or they're just trying to put a euphemistic spin on what they've just done. Please continue to write to your favourite newspaper since this is a scandal affecting thousands of tablets and their owners. Even just tonight there are still tablets being listed on eBay as "fully working and factory reset for the new owner". So many unpleasant awakenings still to come. ? 

Guest BellAlistair
On 3/14/2019 at 11:06 AM, Sarkie said:

Install Fiddler 4

Thanks

Might have had some progress with Fiddler and my Hudl1, shout up if I've missed something, I've only just installed Fiddler so am still working my way around.

Hudl apparently gets a response, not sure why it doesn't like it...  [see edit below]

GET https://device.mobile.tesco.com/ota/20140424.153851 HTTP/1.1
X-DeviceID: 097FA1404221356B9995CAEE815D9BFE
X-FirstJourney: true
User-Agent: Dalvik/1.6.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; hudl ht7s3 Build/JDQ39)

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Length: 304
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
Server: Microsoft-IIS/10.0
Request-Context: appId=cid-v1:0e4682b9-4818-4748-8361-593e054eb1e8
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=2592000
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Set-Cookie: ARRAffinity=af77d5f12d0680a0d1261e16e3ab9799abc44f688624e43b5c9b2c486cb4823a;Path=/;HttpOnly;Domain=device.mobile.tesco.com
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:16:45 GMT

{"status":"OK","update":{"currentAndroidVersion":"4.4","description":"Huld web service call","html_description":"<b>Huld web service call</b>","mandatory":true,"name":"huldv3","file_size":null,"terms":"Tesco Policies","datetime_released":"18-02-2019 10:10:10","file_md5":null,"url":null,"version":"1.7"}}

Edit:

Ah now I realise what it doesn't like about that reply  so

spoofing {"status":"OK","update":null}  instead gets me away for the Hudl 1 as well.

I am now even more disgusted at Tesco, it seems that all they need to do is set that as the response for any version they no longer wish to "support with updates" (not that they have been doing for years). Trivial cost.

I'll have a go at resetting Hudl again tomorrow and document my exact steps.

Edited by BellAlistair
Double post avoidance