Headphones: 2.5 > 3.5 Adapter cable (Garmin)?

Guest madu

Don't think this'll work as it looks like it's only got three sections on the plug and if I remember correctly, the SPV headset (don't have mine to hand at the moment) has four sections.

Please feel free to correct me though!

Hax

Well, I may pay a tenner if I am assured it is THE right one for the phone and the resistance/wireing are SPV compatible with no loss of quality/volume. Still a bloody rip-off, a tenner for this tiny cable?!?

Guest dangallo

Maplin sell an adapter (go to www.maplin.co.uk and search for FA94C). Costs 79p plus postage cost.

I bought this and it works fine on my SPV. Sticks out the side of the phone slightly, but at least I can listen to the music in the car or on better headphones.

:)

Guest HelloDave
Maplin sell an adapter (go to www.maplin.co.uk and search for FA94C). Costs 79p plus postage cost.

Be careful with these!

Someone warned about these in a post ages ago, and I ignored them and bought one anyway. I used it for a few months...until my headset plug mysteriously broke (the hardware "stuck in headset profile" problem). Even slight sideways pressure on the socket over a period of time seems to damage it, and the Maplin adaptor acts as a lever.

My solution was to chop off the existing headset earpieces and solder on some decent Sony ones. Not for everyone, but it works!

Good idea, HelloDave.

You could also buy a set of decent headphones and solder on a 2.5mm plug on the end. Home made leads are a big more prone to "dodgy headphone jack syndrome", but you can always fix it yourself.

Guest HelloDave
You could also buy a set of decent headphones and solder on a 2.5mm plug on the end.

True; the reason I used the existing headset was that I could keep the microphone, and homemade plugs tend to be the straight type (as opposed to right angled - nothing dodgy!) and therefore might still act as a bit of a lever.

I was going to cut mine and add some better ear pieces as well, but I did not want to mess anything up. Now that I see others are doing it I feel better about it. Its a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hmshah

hi, also looking for a headphone adapter, went to maplin.co.uk, are there any other sights that have headphone adapters, preferably better ones. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest schriss

I confirm that this 2.5 --> 3.5 adapter works with my Mitac Mio 8390!

The ultimate Audio/headset adapter.

Built in volume control for convenient/easy control.

One short (12cm) single earbud is supplied for phone use.

Retract to just 10cm for easy transport/storage. Extend to any length up to 85cm while in use.

3.5mm stereo jack so you can use your favorite/expensive headphone.

And finally: Built in quality microphone, and answer/mute button!!

Here it is:

http://www.pc-mobile.net/m83aa.htm

• 4 months later...

Adapters?

smartphone.jpg

This was just for the photo, have used the chained 50p a piece adapters on my Iriver cdplayer for 3 months only to find its shagged the jacks in both the remote controls I had for it. Nice pivoting force on the jack it did.

Will be hacking up the handsfree you get with the C500 to do some modifications soon enough.

• 1 month later...
Guest robertchinneck

Hi there

I bought the HANDSPRING TREO 600 STEREO OEM HEADPHONE ADAPTOR 2.5mm off ebay for about $4. Even with shipping to the UK of $10 or so it was worth it.

It works fine, in stereo, in my SPV C500, although I'll look out for the force exerting problem people spoke about in this thread.

I know this can't work for taking calls - at least I presume it can't but for using decent headphones like Sony Fontopia ones, while on the train etc, it is well worth it.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone found aything similar to the spvaa mentioned earlier available in the UK. - i'm not sure i can be bothered to import it!

i recently broke the plug on my standard headset and am now looking to replace it. i dont want to lose the microphone functionality, but would quite like the option of adding my own (noise cancelling) headphones with a 3.5mm jack...

the spvaa seems ideal (and is cheaper than a replacement genuine headset) but is a faff to have it sent from the states...

someone has to be making these in the UK?

• 1 month later...
Guest m223464
See my other post - I have the adaptors for Pocket PC Phone Edition from PocketPCTechs.com - check it out! :)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where is this other post? Ive tried searching for it but don't know how to find it.

Guest blade001

After having read those messeges, I decided to customize the original headphones which comes with the phone. I would have to say it was tricky but it's worth it. Now I can enjoy loud and clear sound through the ear piece and also can keep the microphone. Also I don't have to worry about ear piece falling off all the time when walking down the street and listening to music. Theres a picture of how it looks now.

post-2998-1105227087_thumb.jpg