have a look @ this

Guest Grazz

Guest awarner [MVP]

sometimes USB hub do not work depending what you have plugged into them,

and something that is used for reading data always prefer to be linked direct

rather than through a hub.

Guest casper508

The idea of an 'internal' card reader is soooo much better. Got to have one of these. If only my lappy had an SD slot instead of a memory stick one. :)

Anyways 25 odd quid isnt that much and i bet we can get a cheaper one at the weekend computer fairs. I'll check on coming weekend at tottenham court road and let u all know.

Cas

Guest casper508
sometimes USB hub do not work depending what you have plugged into them,

and something that is used for reading data always prefer to be linked direct

rather than through a hub.

I've noticed that too. My T68 USB data cable never used to work properly thru the the hub nor did the base unit for my RF mouse. I wonder why ??

Cas

Guest awarner [MVP]

Cheep hubs and too many connections

and not forgetting the dreaded noise :evil:

I use a direct plugin card reader now no cables at all :)

Guest Maverick

I saw a PCMCIA adaptor which works for both SD and CompactFlash in Computer Fair. They were selling it for 25 quid.

Is it worth it? What about the speed? Will it be comparable to the card reader?

Guest frijj2k

I got a PQI 6-in-1 USB reader/writer from www.ebuyer.com for £16 + VAT.

Total price £20.

And it has a 16 MB flash disk built in, USB extension lead and a nice black case.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Seen sd card readers, (fit in floppy drive bay, have slots for compactflash, smartmedia, SD/MMC, Sony sticks, i think that was all, for £10.00..

Check your local computer fair.. (linked using a usb header (standard NOT asus).

Really annoyed as i spent 30 quid on one a few weeks ago.

Will

Guest Palindrome

Just bought a PNY 6in1 card reader from PC World, £25. Connects straight into USB and acts like a removeable drive. 'What could be simpler?', I happily told myself.

Sadly the damn thing doesn't recognise the card after about 5 secs of browsing through the files on the SD card. Tried it with 2 cards. Sometimes my computer doesn't startup until I pull the USB connection out of the back of the computer. Pulling my hair out. Tried USB power management, different USB slots on the back of the PC, closing down all programs, kicking it etc. to no avail. I'll try pulling all the USBs out of the back of my PC now and see if that has any effect. If not it's going back to the shop.

Could be just my computer. PNY's support is minimal.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Do you have win98 or me? as I have had similar usb problems with 98

on a gigabyte motherboard, changed board problem goes away.

Guest Palindrome

Got XP. Athlon 2000+, 512Mb DDRAM, Radeon 8500, SBLive5.1. I'm persuing the motherboard idea at the moment as everything else I've tried doesn't work. The fact the light goes off after a few seconds of file browsing must indicate a power problem, surely.

But in anycase I posted this here instead of the help and advice section is just in case this was a poor product that people should know about, but as I said above it's probably my PC and not the Card Reader itself. If I can't find a solution I'll just return the reader and get an IDE one.

But thanks awarner.

Guest Palindrome

Dagnamit, the PC World scum won't let me return it. Turns out there's this documentation they give you with your receipt that states as soon as you've bought the product the only way you can return it is if it's broken. Could have told me before, the capatalist sharks. In that case a swift kick would have done it a treat and got my money back.

Got to get this thing working. I'll be damned to hell if PC World is going to have the last laugh at this, so may post a begging and obligerant plea in the help and advice section.

Guest midnight

sorry, but if it works in the store and it works on your mates computer then the goods you have purchased aint faulty, your computer is and theres no way a store will give you money back when there is nothing wrong with the goods.

Guest mcwarre

Palindrome,

I have a XP Pro, Athlon 2000+, 512Mb DDRAM. I could test it for you, save you paying out for a new motherboard in case it ain't the motherboard. I have a Soltex motherboard which has few if any compatability issues...

Guest Palindrome

Cheers mcwarre, but I sure ain't gonna change the motherboard over a £25 card reader. My motherboard is an ASUS A7A266-E with ALi chipset. So far I've got Microsoft, Mesh and PNY support on the case and I spent 40 mins plugging it into the display PCs at PC World (the card reader that is) to see which PCs it worked on and which it didn't (a big thanks to all the PC World staff who put up with my incesant questions; just to make it clear, I was refering to the corporate PC World capitalist scum in my previous post). I found it worked in most of the Packard Bells but not in some of the other makes. I'm trying to assertain clues in the hardware configuration at the mo. Unless it's a specific problem with the mix of the card reader and my hardware, I'm quite surpised that this problem hasn't cropped up before.