Orange P800 Release

Guest englishpunk

Guest englishpunk

Orange are touting a february 2003 release for the P800, know this is slightly off-topic, but i thought people might care, or find the information useful.

Guest englishpunk

I am due an upgrade on orange, i asked what handsets were currently on test and due out soon, they said panasonic gd87e ( december ) and sony ericsson p800 ( february ), mind you, no mention of nokia 3650, but surely they can't afford not to release it, anyway i chatted up one of the upgrade girls from orange, she says she going to sweet talk a guy there she knows and pump him for infomation, then give me a ring when she finds out anything, might not be the new year, but if i hear anything them i'll post, or i can e-mail if you prefer.

As for price, no projected release price yet, but on teh grapevine i've heard it should be around the same as the nokia 7650 on release ( between £200 and £250 ).

Guest dj simonz

Ive read the white paper about the P800 sony ericsson phone, apparantly it is able to sync with microsoft outlook which is interesting for me because I thought only spv would be able to do that as it is specifically a MS phone... Im in a dilemma of having to decide for an spv or p800

design wise I prefer the spv...

hnmm hmmm

Guest Anonymous
Ive read the white paper about the P800 sony ericsson phone, apparantly it is able to sync with microsoft outlook which is interesting for me because I thought only spv would be able to do that as it is specifically a MS phone

Lots of phones can synchronise with Outlook - Nokias as far back as the 6210, Ericssons (T39, T68, etc.)

Mike.

Guest davem1919

englishpunk I would be interested to hear when and if the P800 is due out on Orange. When I asked O last week they said they werent even testing it yet..

Dave

Guest englishpunk
englishpunk I would be interested to hear when and if the P800 is due out on Orange. When I asked O last week they said they werent even testing it yet..

Dave

Well, when i spoke to them last night ( i asked specifically about the P800 and 3650 ) they said p800 in test, due for february release and that they were not currently testing 3650, maybe they only started testing this week, you'd have to ask them i'm afraid, only passing on what i heard.

I did this basically because if people are feeling the same way i do then they won't be upgrading to an spv that is basically gonna be a pretty paperweight, not saying sony ericsson are a great manufacturer in the past, but then microsoft's previous hardware aint exactly top notch either, and at least the P800 and 3650 are based on a vaguely stable platform that i can develop for without incurring stupid costs to run my own programs !

Guest rcraswell

This topic should probably be moved over the the "Off Topic" section.

We've had a 7650 and a 3650 in house for awhile now and just got a P800.

Brief initial impressions:

UI is fast on all three phones (compared to the SPV)

[*]There's a pretty steep learning curve for programming under the Series 60 OS.

[*]Camera on 7650 and 3650 is really slow.

[*]Camera on P800 is quite fast (you hear the "click"-noise and your picture is taken. None of this waiting a second or two after the click.)

[*]7650 feels solid, the other two feel a little plasticy and fragile (note: these are engineering prerelease phones so the shells may change before ship. Or they may not...)

There is no guarantee that the P800 will be any better than the SPV.

I would rather have an Orange SPV than anything made by Ericsson.

I haven't seen (yet) the SPV but I do have seen the Sony Ericsson P800 because I have it at the moment. And honestly guys, it is unbelievable... It has almost no bugs at all (preproduction model!!!), very good screen, excellent bulid quality and in general I love it

Here in Greece it is going to be released in January at the price of 700 Euros. :D

Some pictures of mine Sony Ericsson P800

Here in Greece it is going to be released in January at the price of 700 Euros.

Full price or with subscription??? Because in Italia he will be send at 799Euros with TIM subscription...

any infos about price :shock:

What use is a a phone without bugs ??

There will be nothing for anyone to complain about !

Bugs are good, because they can be fixed.

If something isn't broke you can't fix it !

The P800 will be far to boring for me.

:D :( :( :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"And finally a picture taken from the camera of P800 (640x480 pixels, medium quality,automatic settings)."

Is it possible to capture video with the cam? mp4 file format? Perhaps you can tell us more about the cam performances.

Also if found this bad following news:

"No webcam or video recording on P800"

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?t...c=15363&forum=2

What do you think of that? Info or Intox???

CU

Is it possible to capture video with the cam? mp4 file format? Perhaps you can tell us more about the cam performances.

CU

No it isn't :D . The cam can only take pictures for the moment...

• 4 weeks later...

What a waste of time, still gonna have certification its in the white paper, what makes you think its gonna be any better than the SPV? from what i read it sounds almost identical except bigger. As for the bugs if orange and microsoft are sensible this update will remove any bugs and then the p800 will be nothing to shout about.

• 3 weeks later...