File Syncing the SPV using eWallet as an example

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

I did a search on this but couldn't find an answer. Is there a way to do a file sync with the smartphone? I don't have the option in Active Sync and would like to use this for many reasons...one being syncing ewallet with a desktop version.

I am using a previously purchased version of the desktop edition from my PPC days. I am hoping I can use this with the Smartphone since it's not really a conduit needed....just a shared/sync'd file.

Guest fozzie

Just so you are aware, you can with Code Wallet Pro. They recently released an extra app to keep your wallet files sync'd between your SPV and PC. The app hangs off the back of Active Sync and works fine.

It was one of the deciders for me between the CodeWallet & eWallet.

Guest nickcornaglia

priccijr:

I do the same manual transfer. I was looking for an automatic syncing.

fozzie:

I already purchased eWallet because I have been using it for years. First with a Palm...Then with a PocketPC. I purchased it for the smartphone thinking it would work the same way. I couldn't imaging why it wouldn't.

I did contact Iliumsoft, who told me that I could but the desktop conduit for an additional $10.00 even though their website says "coming soon" for this software. I have the desktop version that I used with the PocketPC. I don't want to but it again if I don't need to since it is not a conduit that I am looking for but file syncronization that I am not sure is possible since the option doesn't appear on ActiveSync for the smartphone.

How does CodeWallet sync??

Thanks for the replies.

Nick

Guest fozzie
How does CodeWallet sync??

The sync app is configured to monitor Code Wallet files (.wal) in two directories - one on the SPV and one on your PC. When Active Sync connects to the SPV the App checks the two folders and sync's any .wal files that are in them.

Fozzie

The sync guide is available here:

http://www.developer1.net/downloads/devone...tphone_sync.pdf

Guest nickcornaglia

Seems from the link that you sent, they are using their own syncronization software to sync the files.

That doesn't say alot about Microsoft and ActiveSync 3.6 for smartphone. Instead of allowing developers and users to sync files via ActiveSync's built-in File Syncronization Conduit...they seem to have blocked it when it comes to use with smartphones.

I'm a big fan of the phone....but something's starting to stink. I'm beginning to feel that put this phone out Waaaaaaay before they should have.

My only hope is that they address these problems in the future and offer owners of the SPV upgrades to the OS.

Guest fozzie
Seems from the link that you sent, they are using their own syncronization software to sync the files.

That's right. It starts up when Active Sync has connected to the SPV (a new icon appears in the Sytem Tray) and then uses AS as a conduit for syncing the wallets.

Agreed, AS should be configurable to allow syncing of files other than those that belong to the built in Smartphone apps. This is CodeWallet's best effort for a workaround which does a pretty decent job - it's certainly better than manually dragging & dropping files back and forth!

Give it a try. You can download the Smartphone version, the PC version and the Sync App for a free 30 day trial.

Guest nickcornaglia

From the eWallet (iliumsoft.com) Website

Technical Support Info for eWallet on Windows Smartphones

Making Cards and Wallet Files

The easiest way to make eWallet files on your Smartphone is to use eWallet on your Windows PC or Pocket PC. If you have eWallet cards or files on a Pocket PC, you can beam them to your phone using your IR ports on both devices.

Beam whole files using File Explorer on your Pocket PC or Handheld PC, and Infared Receive on your Smartphone. Beam individual cards and folders using Send Card from the menu within eWallet.

If you have eWallet files on a Windows PC, you can move them to your phone using Microsoft ActiveSync/Explore. Please note that File Synchronization for Smartphones is not currently supported by ActiveSync, so you won't be able to synchronize your files automatically. Move them by choosing Explore from ActiveSync. Then navigate to the folder My Smartphone/IPSM/My Documents, and copy your eWallet files there.

Files used by eWallet 3.0 on Windows PCs and Pocket PCs are fully compatible with the version of eWallet on the Smartphones. If you have bought eWallet on a Smartphone and would like another version, you can add it for just US$10.00 using our Special Order Form.

So there ya go. That stinks Microsoft!