Camera extension cable

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]

This will be moved to Hardware later but I need some quick responses.

I have been discussing with a company about the possibilities of having

a camera extension cable made for the SPVTanager style phones as members have suggested this idea in the past,

this may then enable the camera to be a bit more versatile.

The possible cost should be around $10-$15 but there may also be a tripod

attachement which may bump the price up or maybe just have it as an additional extra.

Please give your opinions ideas etc as if enough interest is shown it has a good chance of being a posibility.

Cheers all :)

Guest awarner [MVP]
any chance of a splitter cable? even if the other 'split' is power only?

I can ask but I have been told that due to development costs, etc a lot of

interest in a product idea would have to be shown first, hense the poll.

Guest Maverick

I would be more interested in an adaptor which can enable you to swivel/rotate the camera in multiple directions rather than a cable.

Guest XGEOX

same here - when i bought the phone i assumed the camera could be turned around... When i found out it couldnt, i was dissapointed, but it wasnt a major problem...

a cable would make it much more versatile.

however i dont think the image quality is good enough to justify the use of a tripod - i mean realistically if your in the position where you need a tripod, you'll want to use a proper camera, not the SPV.

Definately and extension cable would be good, providing it's like no more than £5-8 ($10-16?)

I'd definately buy one.

I thought there were plans for the Tanager to be sold with an included extension cable for the camera. Also isn't there one for the xda already available which has the same connectors???

Just a thought... but an extension cable would be good.....

maybe a cable with multiple attachments? for power/usb/camera???

Guest casper508

Something like this would be nice. I would definitely carry it around if its something like 10-15cm but no longer. Anyways just my opinion.

Cas

Guest nickcornaglia

I personally see no point in investing in the SPVs camera any further. I'd rather wait for a new smartphone with better camera than try to enhance this one.

But...since we're throwing ideas around. If you were going to make that could it incorporate a flash or light that could go off when the photo is taken. This may be difficult as the picture would sometimes be taken about 30 seconds after the flash went off...but it could work if your subject were 8,993,773,740 meters away!

If you don't agree with me...you have to at least appreciate my research. :)

Guest Gorskar

I'm inpressed you bothered to work that out Cornaglian... don't you think it might require a fairly high powered flash to carry that distance and reflect back though - the sort of flash which would be comparable to the sun.

Now call me pesimistic, but I'm not convinced the SPV's battery would quite stretch to those sort of requirements.

To get back on topic, I don't think I would be interested in a Camera cable (that's partly because I lost my camera admittedly)

Now if they were to come up with a whole new camera that could plug into the SD card slot - maybe with an integrated memory card, which could swivel also then I would be at the front of the queue.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I think you'd be disapointed at the quality of an SD camera. The SD interface on the SPV is not really any faster than the IO port on the bottom, so although you (might) get slightly higher res pictures, i wouldn't expect any improvement on the frame rate of data transfer...

Guest Thurstan

I think the cable idea is great - as long as they don't put a silly price on it. If it was £10-£15 I think people would invest in such a piece of kit as it would make the camera much more useful.

:) Loving the speed of light area of the discusiion!

Guest madu

Tripod?? For SPV camera?? :shock:

The cable is not a bad shout though.. especially if it was just made as an extension cable, then it would be a good shout.. With a socket for powerplug N*kia style - ie without the connector on existing charger

Guest fraser

Actually, a mini tripod is not a bad idea. Like many (cheap) minature cameras, the SPV's cam doesn't perform well in low light conditions. The camera uses many concepts from traditional photography, such as exposure time. When you take a low light picture holding the phone in your hands, you get a blurred mess because your hands would have moved slightly during the exposure. If you place the phone on a solid surface to steady it, you usually get a much better picture. Try it.

This device is going to require some sort of connector that the camera attaches to, OK? Why not have it so that it can be placed on a flat surface an it'll remain upright? Not quite a tripod, but you get a similar effect...

But a flash would be neat. Perhaps one running off it's own battery (which also could be used to power the SPV when the main battery is low).

Guest davy

I would be interested in an extension cable if the price was right. Slightly off topic I would also be really interested in a phone pouch with a section to carry the camera along with the phone.

The main stumbling block, that I foresee, to either of these being viable business propositions is, how many future smartphones are going to have external cameras?

davy.

Guest XGEOX
The main stumbling block, that I foresee, to either of these being viable business propositions is, how many future smartphones are going to have external cameras?

davy.

A good point - i think it's unlikely that the manufacturers will be able to justify the inital costs of development and manufacture when the potential customer base is limited - future SPVs will undoubtedly have internal cameras, and no other phone to my knowledge uses the same serial connection. If an extension cable is produced it'll probably be expensive as a result :)

And i still think the idea of a tripod is a bit silly considering the size and quality of the spv camera - how often are you going to really need it, and are you going to be prepared to carry it around? :?

However I still like the idea of a extension cable - if it could be sold for under £10, i'd buy it no hesitation.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fozzie

Damn, there's another bit of kit to go in my SPV 'accessory bag' that I end up carrying around with me...........aaaahhhhh, geek heaven :)