Memory card slot

Guest AngelOfRage

Guest AngelOfRage

:?: ive got a SPV on its way and was wondering whats the largest SD card it take take? is it limited to say only 128mb? or can it make use of a 512mb?

thanx

Guest tt5th

I am pretty sure it can take a 512mb, I have even heard rumours of a 1gb card!!

Can anyone confirm this?

Imagine how many southpark episodes I could get on that........

Guest Simon Desser

I use a Lexar 512mb card, no problems.

I remember Neil Enns from MS, saying that it can take "whatever size card you throw at it" :)

Guest Lifestream

Yeah, the sd slot can take as much as a sd card can handle coz the controllerchip is in the card and not in the slot. That means that it can even take a 32GB card in the future...

Guest Maveric

I am new here in the group and I was wondering sd card is the same as mmc card used by nokia phones. I tried pluging in the mmc card from my sons nokia to my smartphone and i couldn't find the changed in memory. Can any body here tell me more about sd and mmc card?

Guest Crispy
Can any body here tell me more about sd and mmc card?

I can see your point, cause they really do look alike!:

multimedis128mb.jpg128-secure.jpg

But there’re imporant differences. SD cards use a 9 Pin Connector while the MM cards use 7 Pin one. Also the SD cards have the "Lock" feature, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with compatibility (Although it has anyway). Still, they're very much alike!

I actually found this description on a German website: "SD card: Sonst wie MultiMediaCard (Almost the same thing as MMCs)". So the dif can't be that huge!

Guest awarner [MVP]

The SD is four times faster than MMC, and more reliable.

Both will work on the phone and the added feature of the SD card is the security switch

lock on the side. This is used to prevent acidental deletionwriting to the card.

The picture above does not show the switch for some reason :? but there is one.

Guest Crispy
Both will work on the phone and the added feature of the SD card is the security switch lock on the side.

So what you're saying is that SD cards are just supercharged MM cards with a security lock? ... Hmmm, well, thats interesting! 8)

Guest awarner [MVP]

Not exactly supercharged but yes they do work 4x faster than MMC

wether you would see the difference on the phone could be questionable but different speeds

between SD cards have been posted.

Also SD are about twice as thick as MMC, mainly to do with the switch I presume.

Guest poofy

so, does it reallly amtter if i use a sd or mmc card? is it true if remove the mmc and place it back again, the files will be lost?

Guest virgil

SD means Secure Data, hence the write protect feature. They claim that MMC is best for mulitmedia appcations , but SD is much faster before it has 2 more extra pins for data transfer. Before you purchase either an MMc or SD card, you can check if they are giving you the right kind by three things: first, SD cards have write protections, second, SD cards are thicker, and third, SD cards have 9 pins as compared to the 7 pins of MMCs, thus making it faster for data transfers.

and files cant be lost when storage card are interchanged. they are still stored on the CARDS. :) :? :? :?

Guest Mr_Protozoa

I'm using a MMC because I still had a 128Mb one from my SL45, they work just fine...

... but since they're half the thickness, it's another part of the SPV which gets full of dust!

Guest Crispy
I think the way they (SD/MMC manufacturers) define megabytes is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!

Its very common for all storage manufacturers to say that 1000bytes = 1Kilo Byte, instead of the REAL 1024Bytes. That means that you get less space than you actually pay for, and that is, of course, unfair. The problem is that Kilo actually means 1000, so ... technically they're not cheating you! :roll:

Guest virgil

Its very common for all storage manufacturers to say that 1000bytes = 1Kilo Byte, instead of the REAL 1024Bytes. That means that you get less space than you actually pay for, and that is, of course, unfair. The problem is that Kilo actually means 1000, so ... technically they're not cheating you! :roll:

right.but who sez they were cheated anyway?

Guest fraser

Yeah, the only ones that should be allowed to define kilo as 1000 in the digital world are the telco's, because they've always done it that way. Storage people are taking the piss, it literally is false advertising.

Thing is, as storage space goes up, so does the space lost. I've got smaller harddrives in use than some of the space lost on my larger drives.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fraser

ANy idea when the 512's are gonna become cost effective? Are the gig ones almost breaking through?

I'm in the market to buy one shortly, but there is no rush...if 512 is going to come down in price (as 256 did a while back), I'd rather hold off.

Guest virgil
ANy idea when the 512's are gonna become cost effective? Are the gig ones almost breaking through?

I'm in the market to buy one shortly, but there is no rush...if 512 is going to come down in price (as 256 did a while back), I'd rather hold off.

no idea here.but if you do get by a cheaper 512.

kindly inform us in this thread.

thanks a lot.

Guest spacecowboy6982

I beleve it was SanDisk who were testing out the 1GB compactflash cards about 5 months ago now. Maybe ready within the next month or so.Useless to us of course!! I do know 512 SD cards manufactured by SanDisk are available - as mentioned above, until the prices come down -expect to pay in the region of £240 for a 512mb card and £60 for a 256 mb.

SpaceCowboy

Guest virgil
I beleve it was SanDisk who were testing out the 1GB compactflash cards about 5 months ago now. Maybe ready within the next month or so.Useless to us of course!! I do know 512 SD cards manufactured by SanDisk are available - as mentioned above, until the prices come down -expect to pay in the region of £240 for a 512mb card and £60 for a 256 mb.

SpaceCowboy

really ? too bad , im in the Philippines.

thanks for tyhe info.