Tips, tricks and modification by Chris Benjaminsen.

Guest Q-Rious

Hello,

I am a definately new to this area so some of this makes sense and some does not. I also want to thank everyone that has contributed to putting together this info. I have a few questions regarding the code posted by Chris B.

First, each plugin begins with the word "plugin". Is this like defining a function that will be referenced in the .XML file? If so, each different plugin would have to be named differently. As for the code, do you put it directly into the XML file? If so, does it matter where in the XML file you put the plugin code segment?

Second, If the new homepage is located in the /IPSM/Application Data/Home directory and not the /Windows directory how does the phone know to use the file I created rather than the original one for the homepage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :lol:

Thanks

Guest sinnerman

What is the 'Cell Broadcast/SIM Toolkit Plug-In" supposed to do? I was hoping it would provide the cell location information that I've noticed other phones can pick up. However, I added it to my home screen, and nothing appears. Can someone enlighten me?

• 4 weeks later...

Bump, what that guy ^ said.

Also, does anyone have any details on how the screen scrolling works in home screens? I've picked apart a couple and couldn't grasp the basic mechanism thru all the crud that was happening simultaneously.

TIA

Nik

Guest scott2eyes
What is the 'Cell Broadcast/SIM Toolkit Plug-In" supposed to do? I was hoping it would provide the cell location information that I've noticed other phones can pick up. However, I added it to my home screen and nothing appears. Can someone enlighten me?
That's what it's supposed to do- sometimes it will show the dialling code, sometimes it will tell you the name of the area you're in, sometimes it can even tell you the street name. However, it's completely dependant on the country/network you're on, and not many networks seem to support it. (Orange are amongst those who don't. :cry: )

Also, does anyone have any details on how the screen scrolling works in home screens? I've picked apart a couple and couldn't grasp the basic mechanism thru all the crud that was happening simultaneously.

Basically, if all the plugins come to a total height of more than 200 pixels, then it won't all fit on the homescreen, and it will scroll if you go down past the bottom. (As far as I can figure out, the plugin at the top of the screen will always be shown in full, so that dictates how much it will scroll at a time.) The background image won't scroll though, as it's just a fixed background image, but you can play around with this by setting a different background image when certain plugins are selected- however, these will only be the size of the plugin itself.

If you're over 18 :wink: then this is a good one to pick apart to figure out the workings of scrolling home screens...

When this thread was first posted was about two years ago, consequently some of the initial information is now out of date.

Does anyone have an updated set of settings for Windows Media Encoder? I don't appear to have any of the ones that are listed here in my WME, ie, Audio Codec version is not present etc.

Edit: that is, if there's a better set than in the FAQ section.

Also I can't seem to get advanced-mediaplayer.zip working. When I user Smart Excplorer to unzip the file and copy the resulting files into Windows I get an error saying I can't write the s.kn to that directory.

Am I missing something?

TIA

Nik

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The message-plugin doesn't display on my Orange SPV (Netherlands). If you leave out the part wich should display VMail it only displays E-Mail and SMS. If you want the plugin to display E-Mail, SMS and MMS you should change the id of the plugin into :

<plugin clsid="{FC0658FA-388E-45d3-9C23-957496F4775B}">

But still leave out the part <unreadVMail/>.

• 2 months later...

Hi there

Nice graphics. I downloaded the media player stuff and when I tried copying into the windows directory in my phone, as per the readme intructions, my windows explorer alerted that the storage is insufficient or its a read only file or something.... like its protected. I am extremely sure that there is room there...

Any ideas what is happening? Please help, cheers!

• 1 month later...
Guest pwaite

Baffled the hell out of me!!!

Couldn't even get passed the first step of 'Start all Explorer'

Where is this? on the phone or PC explorer??

Please help

Peter

• 2 months later...
Guest The_Flames

wouldn't it be good if one of you buffing programmers could use the info in the thread to create a home_screen xml creater :P

or would that be too complicated ??? I know my programming skills arnt upto the task at the moment :D

... maybe I should start coding again :?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest bobrednek

This might sound stupid, but whats a .asx?

A friend of mine is trying to stream with Winamp and all it tells him is "write.asx". Would someone here know what to do?

• 1 month later...
Guest twizzle

Hi,

Thanks for the info on what to do to get good vids onto phone..... The settings you gave seem to be fine except i dont have media converter (cant find it on microsofts site from ur link) but using movie maker i can get a close aproximation that works well.

What i want to know is how do i get the plug-ins to work on my C500. I tried copying them as xml files and running them from the file manager but they dont seem to do anything. So far i've tried the clock and icon plugins and copied them to apllication data folder on my fone.... Any help??

• 1 month later...
Guest reznorsedge

Hi guys (and gals).

I've just got my hands on an SPV C500 and it's fab and groovy. I wanted to play around with the homescreens, specifically I wanted to adapt the default Orange one. I really like it, but want to change it around.

Plan (a) was to find the home screen and then make my own Homescreen based on that XML code, just adding my own modules etc. However, when I try to copy it, it says that you can't copy anything from the ROM, so I can't even look at the code!! (I was trying to copy OrangeHomescreen.home.xml from the Windows directory)

Has someone got a code listing (or something) for the Orange homescreen? I want to do this, but my XML-fu is poor and I need to copy someone elses hard work ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...