The new SPV2 aka Voyager -- Comments

Guest grifter

Guest grifter

hey guys,

have you seen the pics of the SPV2 (probably SAP2 also) on the front page of this site? Comments?

here are mine:

1. should have redesigned the entire phone casing instead of just minor cosmetic changes and built-in camera

2. the call keys should not have been chrome to avoid chipping.

3. faster processor similar to the Mio

4. Diferent color. hehe...

Guest dinoalbert

yeah same here.

if you buy that phone, nobody will notice that you got a new phone unless you start taking pictures hehe

pero pag bibili ako nun, maghihintay na talaga ako hanggang may nabibiling unit only or 2nd hand kundi dadami na ang line subscriptions ko :)

Guest chibako
pero pag bibili ako nun, maghihintay na talaga ako hanggang may nabibiling unit only or 2nd hand kundi dadami na ang line subscriptions ko 

lalong yayaman ang smart! hehehe! lalong magugulo yung mga CSR nila dahil bagong phone naman kelangan nilang aralin... :)

Guest mortenharkett722

Improvements lang ata nun ang camera magiging mabilis. Ako mismo, di ko naman ginagamit ang camera. Kayo, lagi nyo ba gamit ang camera nyo? Ksi kung ganoon lang nga eh di mag aantay na lang ako sa SX1.

Guest mortenharkett722

At sana may matino na gprs counter ng di tayo naghuhula kung magkano ang gprs na SPAMyaran. Eh bat pa kailangan mag install ng third party na software eh ang ME45 nga na 2yrs na sa market meron?

Guest ppcsurfr

Read te specs...

If you guys are familiar with the inner workings of a Smartphone, you will notice that it runs on the Windows CE 3.0 Core OS which was initially used with Pocket PCs and Pocket PC 2002 devices. The new one... the one that will come with the new SPV2 will be running the Windows CE 4.2 Core OS which has been redesigned to run specifially on ARM based processors... So you are looking at enhanced performance with such processors... It has been tested on the Pocket PC and the results are very good. Speed improvements are significant as well as a whole set of updated applications to complete the Windows Mobile 2003 Software for Smartphone.

You can expect more features with every application closely matching that of the latest Windows Mobile 2003 Software for Pocket PC.

So it's not only the camera that has been improved...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Guest dinoalbert
hey guys,

have you seen the pics of the SPV2 (probably SAP2 also) on the front page of this site? Comments?

here are mine:

1. should have redesigned the entire phone casing instead of just minor cosmetic changes and built-in camera

2. the call keys should not have been chrome to avoid chipping.

3. faster processor similar to the Mio

4. Diferent color. hehe...

ayan grifter....ok na yung comment no.3 mo.... tumama ka lang sa 1, 2, and 4 hehe

pero sana nga iniba naman nila ang design na hindi halos kamukha ng Tanager

Guest ppcsurfr
ibig ba sabihin new os version na ang voyager?

Well, if they are releasing it in the 4th qarter of 2003... it's pointless to release it with the oler OS right?

And if they are releasing it during the first quarter of 2004... then more so... The Pocket PC has been on its WM2003 Software for Pocket PC since June of this year... The Smartphone OS should follow soon.

Besides... the SDK for Windows Mobile 2003 Software for Smartphone is out already...

All I can say is that there are sigificant improvements to the inbox and I hope it includes similar enhancements that the Pocket PC has received in the WM 2003 OS.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo [MVP]

Guest grifter

The Voyager is still using the same TI OMAP processor as the Tanager.

They should've put in a newer, faster processor.

And hopefully, more built-in memory.

Another design "flaw" is that the internal antenna is too big! If you open up the Tanager, the internal antenna on the top portion is really bulky! Without it, the thickness of the Tanager is reduced to almost half. I think they should place the antenna on the outside instead. RF will be better pa.

my 2 centavos' worth.

Guest ppcsurfr
The Voyager is still using the same TI OMAP processor as the Tanager. 

They should've put in a newer, faster processor.

Well, Windows CE 4.2... at least on the Pocket PC running the Windows Mobile 2003 Softwasre for Pocket PC has shown significant performance improvements over that of the older OS. This means that even the old 206MHz StrongARM processor in the really old iPAQs performed far better than the original PPC2002 OS.

Also, The new Windows Mobile 2003 Software for Smartphone, which may be similarly designed as compared to the Pocket PC version handles resources better being designed to be used for both NAND and NOR flash ROMs.

I've seen iPAQs running on the new 266MHz Samsung processors and they can realy run circles around even the 400MHz PPC2002 devices... so I guess you shouldn't really be disappointed about the processor being the same one... but of course a faster one will always be welcomed... for as long as it is battery friendly.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Guest grifter

still, a new smartphone should have a new processor.

you wouldn't want to buy a Pentium-II laptop nowadays even if Windows XP says that it's 75% faster than Windows 98 diba?

OS inprovements are always welcome but hardware and design-wise leaves much to be desired for the Voyager.

As for the battery life, oh well, that's all a 1000mah li-ion could churn out. They should think about raising the mah to around 1500mah for longer batt life. the drawback is, larger battery. hehe...

Guest ppcsurfr

Well, WM2003 was designed for ARM based processors and not particularly for X-Scale...

Yes... it would be nice if they included a newer processor... one that would actually run faster than what it is now... I think even a regular 132MHz SA1100 processor would do... as with one of the MS powered smartphones I tested a while back (and no it isn't a Tanager or a Voyager... in fact it wasn't even from HTC).

It's not in the numbers... Don't let X-Scale numbers fool you... it doesn't work that way all the time.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Guest grifter

@Carlo,

I'm not particularly into processor number speeds. I'm more into the performance of the processor itself. Numbers can be deceiving I know, especially among different manufacturers of processors (similar to AMD vs Intel)

My issue with the Voyager is that it's just a Tanager with built-in camera, BT, new joystick and softkeys. And of course, new OS.

If these are the only reasons for buying the Voyager, I'd probably just upgrade the Tanager with MS Smartphone 2003 software and paint my casing and battery with automotive paint.

The camera and BT I can live without. :)

Guest ppcsurfr

@grifter: True... but I guess the OS will have to compensate for this...

BTW, I once asked O2 Asia whcy they stuck to the SA1110 processor for the XDA... they said it performed better... I guess they have their reasons...

I just jope they come up with a WM2003 update for our Tanagers... :-)

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Guest kapitan jackal

Im just waiting for the voyager. (good thing may SPAMtuhan na ako ng tanager ko) :)

BT and integrated cam will be perfect for me. perfect replacement for my T68, best alternative for T610 ;)

any news of its release date?