Petition for Flat Rate GPRS - over 1000 responses already!

Guest PaulOBrien

does this petition also include operators outside of the UK? what about us in the phillipines? can we sign too?

currently my plan (line) cost 1335 pesos/month (about 14.62 GBP) this includes 210 minutes of talk time. exceeding free minutes its 7 pesos or 0.0767 GBP per minute, and 550 pesos (about 6.02 GBP) of data credits, this includes SMS, MMS and GPRS usage, and value added services like maps, account balance, etc.

The data usage are charged as follows: /SMS = 1 peso=0.011 GBP (meaning if i only use SMS i'm alloted 550 text messages per month), /MMS= 5 pesos =0.0548 GBP, and /kb GPRS = 0.25 pesos = 0.00275 GBP.

right now, my bill averages about 2200 pesos = 24.0957 GBPs.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I'm on the email promotion.

When this ends, I no longer plan to use GPRS as there are no plans that I feel offer acceptable value for money.

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest nickcornaglia

I know this is intended primarily for the UK but.....

I just signed the petition and added comments to not only request flat rate GPRS...but at a reasonable rate as well.

TMobile in the US has a flat rate Unlimited GPRS of US$19.99

Verizon (my current CDMA network) has a Unlimited 1xRTT flat rate of $45.00

That's a big difference. The 1xRTT network seems a bit faster to me. But not $25 faster.

I wouldn't mind paying $25.00/month.

But at $45.00....my cable internet at home is cheaper.

Guest goinnuts

the new rates are noticabley cheeper (see gprs repricing topic) but £20 does sound resonable. mayeb it will fall again next spring time of the soft launch of o's 3g services. who cares signed it anyway.

Excellent move Paul

As more providers adopt Smartphones we must make them see sense, it's in their interest too.

I just use the phone so little since the flat rate stopped.

GPRS is just too uneconomical in it's present form! :oops:

Guest nytehawk2002

T-Mobile USA offers unlimited GPRS for $9.99 a month. I have this for my SPV and I'm currently working out glitches with it. It seems that not all ports are open. :shrug:

:roll: sorry but i must have missed the train, wot is the email promotion?
The email promotion was a three month promotion which Orange launched and allows people to receive unlimited free GPRS for three months.

T-Mobile USA offers unlimited GPRS for $9.99 a month.

The T-Mobile $10 unlimited tariff was a promotional offer as part of their instant email initiative. They also had it in the UK; I'm on £10 for unlimited/100mb abuse capped GPRS from T-Mobile which is due to expire some time in Q1 2004 I think.

Their current $30 flatrate plan in the USA isn't open to existing customers although it doesn't seem to have any expiry.

Done it!

Obviously at this stage tho I would be saying lets get gprs WORKING PROPERLY for ALL USERS!! Then I might consider using it more often!

Sorry - I had to bring the tone down!! :twisted:

Guest JoelRae
"]I'm on the email promotion.

When this ends, I no longer plan to use GPRS as there are no plans that I feel offer acceptable value for money.

same here!!

oh, and ... signed :)

Joel

Guest 156employee

I am a team supervisor for Orange customer services and also a SPV user. I'm pleased to leak this information to you. Orange are refreshing ALL of its GPRS packages within the next 4 weeks. This is to fall in line with the company's Europe-wide launch of the video messaging product. This will also include a combined release of about 8 new handsets (subject to final testing) onto the network. You should all find that your GPRS charges become a lot better value for money. Also, once this product has launch I suggest you all call us up and ask for our new promotional product for GPRS, MMS bundle, Video bundle combination. This will last well up to early summer next year and I will be getting it myself on my Liberate tariff. Hope you are all pleased with this. About time some better value for money was offered since call charges seem to have stagnated at their current level.

Take care for now!

Guest Trancedancer

I've signed too!

I live in Sweden, and I wonder if the chances of this happening here are big...don't think so!? :cry:

It would be the natural evolution of GPRS though!!!

*TRANCEDANCER*

Guest krankie

I was going to sign it until I saw the suggested flat tarriff was £20. I am currently on the Orange 4 Meg £8 tarriff and although I would use a lot more if it wasn't for the cost I wouldn't be prepared to pay £20 per month on top of the standard monthly connection fee for unlimited use.

The cost of GPRS is far too high though, but I think targetting your campaign at the top few percent of users rather than at a more general level (I was averaging around 10 Meg per month during the unlimited trial period) will lessen its impact on the operators.

Guest chucky.egg

The suggested cost you mention is just gossip really, nobody AFAIK has suggested a charge to the Operators.

If you would be interested in unmetered GPRS then sign the trial - you're not committing yourself to anything, and if the operators offer a service later you can decide at the time if the price and conditions suit you.

Guest mattscholey

Paul - how many people have signed the petition so far?

As for what 156employee said, if this is correct then is is surely what we've all been waiting for. Any information on what new prices we might be looking at, or how much this GPRS,MMS,video bundle might cost, and how much might be included.

Thanks,

Matt

Guest Paul [MVP]

I will shortly be posting results from the first THOUSAND signees...!

:shock:

The only information I have about the new tariffs is that there IS a flat rate GPRS bundle... at FIFTY TWO POUNDS!

P