i600: the vapour clears.

Guest Antilles_Prime

Hi all, newbie to this forum, but not to this subject.

As it turns out, this type of debate reflects the emerging split (yes, split, not convergence) of PDA-centric devices and phone-centric devices. IMO, there will be data-dominant users and voice dominant users. Data-dominant users will accept a larger form factor in order to have such features as touch screens, keyboards, and text entry apps such as notepad and Pocket Word. Voice-dominant users will value small for factor over feature richness and demand a top-notch phone that integrates well with the sync'ed data from Outlook (contacts, calendar primarily). Smartphones will improve in such areas as voice recognition to 'make up for' the lack of a direct, simple text-entry method, but they will stay small specifically because they are first and foremost a phone.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of attempted hybrids, but as soon as the form factor starts to grow, the device, IMO, becomes a data-centric PDA first and a phone second.

My own situation: I've had a string of PDAs, then went the PDA with phone capability route (T-Mobile PPCPE). I found I never use the text entry enough to mandate the larger size of the device. Now I have a Samsung i600 and it meets 99% of my needs. If I need to jot a quick note I use the voice recorder, but I spend virtually all my usage on contacts, calendar and phone.

Everyone's situation will obviously be differnt, I'm glad there will be two device evolutions to serve both customer segments!

The clear voice of reason. Well said.

I agree for the most part but what disappoints me is how far a step back Smartphone 2002 was. Nobody expects it to be text heavy but not to sync the Notes portion of Outlook and providing no views or options in Tasks is a major step back. No ability to simply resort the order of the programs? Heck, you think a decent printed manual would have been good for $500?

There's no shame in admitting that it was badly rushed to market despite your overall like for the i600.

There are many things I like. Weirdly enough today I tried to enter a new phone number into a contact. I couldn't find how to enter a space. I couldn't pull out a printed manual because, unlike phones costing half as much like the LG VX6000 ($150), there was none. Searching around I found only one way to do it. Since it seems that MS might have forgotten to include a space in the choices for extra characters, you have to switch the phone into abc/text mode and then hit the # key and then switch the phone back into the 123/number entry choice.

Is it cool? Yes. Are there some very good features? Yes. Unfortunately the features are marred by obvious cut corners and a few big bugs. I just feel crapped upon with this half done job.

Guest solsavr
I agree. You should bring it back.

Man....So Do I....PLEASE! Quit bashing the i600....JUST TAKE IT BACK! jeez luize, I can't believe you are on every site saying the same thing.

I agree, it is not perfect, but as a PPC user, I think it is great. The rollup keyboard also works really good for text entry, and email on the road. I am also a note taker, and currently use HPCNotesPro, which HPC says will be ported...BUT i'm sure it won't be free. :shock:

Power Tasks by DeveloperOne is a pretty good task program....with "wrapping", I bought it because I too was not happy with the "stock" program....BUT I also buy most 3rd party stuff for my PPC and PC for that matter.

Slink...I am not tring to make you upset....I just really see the potential of this phone, and for my needs, it is just about everything I need. I am sure that 2003 will be offered for the i600....why wouldn't it be, I mean I flashed my V60 3 times...for free.

But I must repeat...Take the phone back before its too late for you, I don't think you will ever be happy with it....BUT I still LOVE mine!

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.... :lol: Peace!

Guest Omegared

Man....So Do I....PLEASE! Quit bashing the i600....JUST TAKE IT BACK! jeez luize, I can't believe you are on every site saying the same thing.

I agree, it is not perfect, but as a PPC user, I think it is great. The rollup keyboard also works really good for text entry, and email on the road. I am also a note taker, and currently use HPCNotesPro, which HPC says will be ported...BUT i'm sure it won't be free. :shock:

Power Tasks by DeveloperOne is a pretty good task program....with "wrapping", I bought it because I too was not happy with the "stock" program....BUT I also buy most 3rd party stuff for my PPC and PC for that matter.

Slink...I am not tring to make you upset....I just really see the potential of this phone, and for my needs, it is just about everything I need. I am sure that 2003 will be offered for the i600....why wouldn't it be, I mean I flashed my V60 3 times...for free.

But I must repeat...Take the phone back before its too late for you, I don't think you will ever be happy with it....BUT I still LOVE mine!

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.... :lol: Peace!

I fully agree, you're constantly on every forum bashing this phone. It appears its now become an unheathly obsession. I understand that you may not enjoy this device as much as others, but why must you continue to rant and rave across every forum on the internet with regards to smartphones? Why must you attempt to spoil our enjoyment and that of potential owners? Nothing in this world is perfect and there will always be issues that have to be worked out... Yes even when you purchase a product in the $500 range. As other users have said just take the device back and do something nice for yourself, or purchase something you really enjoy. :wink:

Guest pschamel

For me, this phone's considerable limitations are outweighed by the advantages of not carrying two devices, and of having my full Outlook address book as the phone's contact list, however, is anyone else concerned that:

1) feature(s) of SP 2002 which work on the AT&T Motorola SP don't work on the i600 -- tasks are fully functional there, and IR exchange with Palm devices seems to work

2) Samsung support for this product is ineffectual -- every answer seems to be "that's the way out engineers designed it, and we have no plans to update."

Also, has anyone had success beaming appointments and/or contacts between the i600 and other SP or Palm devices? So far, once I was able to receive a calendar entry from a Palm, but the date and time didn't transfer, and I have been able to see, but not exchange info with, a Motorola SP. Pointers?

Guest nickcornaglia
1) feature(s) of SP 2002 which work on the AT&T Motorola SP don't work on the i600 -- tasks are fully functional there, and IR exchange with Palm devices seems to work

What do you mean? The task program is different on the Motorola?