DVD to Smartphone Software

Guest Pagemakers

Guest darren22

I looked at converting some of my DVD's ages ago. I managed to get some success, eg some video with no audio etc....

However, yesterday I tried the following guide from SPV4U.

:lol: :D Result first time, converted FARGO perfectly, smooth, and good audio quality. Fortunately I already had all the software on my PC from my previous attempts.

Now very happy :) , workmates very impressed :shock:

Give it a try, from somebody who has struggled to achieve this for months.

Darren

Guest mike-oh

Hell no i just aint gonna do that!!! Yes it'l work but there are slightly easier ways already mentioned but none as easy as it should be.

All that's needed is one piece of software to rip it straight from dvd! No copying to hard disk, no convert to avi (takes ages), then convert to smartphone.

It should be ONE step.

Guest mike-oh

DOH!

But you could at least chop 30 to 60 mins of the process if not more cos you don't have to copy it and encode it twice. And you wouldn't waste time only to find out ur movie wont work at the end of it :oops:

Guest rogerbates
DOH!

But you could at least chop 30 to 60 mins of the process if not more cos you don't have to copy it and encode it twice. And you wouldn't waste time only to find out ur movie wont work at the end of it :oops:

Have you tried DVDX? If you put in the right settings it will convert a ripped DVD straight to SPV compatible DivX in just a few hours. As will Virtual Dub if you have the right one (MPEG Version).

Or if it is an MPEG that you want then TMPGEnc is probably the best way to go, you will have to rip the DVD first, then use DVD2AVI (10 mins tops) and then encode. The Guide that darren22 pointed out shows how to do this and is pretty straight forward.

If you want to test it out before doing a whole movie DVD2AVI allows you to select just a small section of the movie, like a 10 seconds clip (as does DVDX and VirtualDub!) With DVD2AVI just move the slider to the point that you want and press [ for the beginning of the sequence and then ] for the end. I would advise that you just do small clips first to make sure that it works and to decide of the best template for you in TMPGEnc.

If you want something that will encode even faster than TMPGEnc then you could try Cinema Craft Encoder, there is a demo version as it is very expensive.

You shouldn't need to encode it twice but any method will take hours.

Guest mike-oh

Cheers roger, will try that later, sounds like we're getting closer to the mark.

I appreciate any method will take ages but some are infuriatingly long with too many steps. I use virtual dub but it doesn't recognise *.vob files, looks like i need a different version.

Guest rogerbates
Cheers roger, will try that later, sounds like we're getting closer to the mark. 

I appreciate any method will take ages but some are infuriatingly long with too many steps. I use virtual dub but it doesn't recognise *.vob files, looks like i need a different version.

You can get the MPEG version of Virtual dub from here

Virutal Dub MPEG2

You'll probably also need to AC3 decompressor from the same page.

Solo explained the method on page 2 of this thread, as he said once you have installed it all it is just two steps.

Guest Moto-Phone

Does anybody have optimized VirtualDub settings for the Motorola MPx200? I have used ClintEastman settings but when I use the letterbox setting I get a very small video screen with BIG black bars on top and bottom. If I use the other file "v2" I get a blank white screen on the phone and i can hear the audio only.

Also when using these settings I get the following error message when I try to save to .avi.

"Error initializing audio stream compression. The requested conversion is not possible"

Any help would be great!

I'm kind of new to all of this but I figured that I would meantion that if you use a program called AnyDVD you don't need to rip the movie from the DVD to the hard drive first. This software allows to "go around" the copy-protection of a DVD allowing any software program the ability to access the VOB files.

You can download a trial from the developers website here: http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Guest rogerbates
Does anybody have optimized VirtualDub settings for the Motorola MPx200?  I have used ClintEastman settings but when I use the letterbox setting I get a very small video screen with BIG black bars on top and bottom.  If I use the other file "v2" I get a blank white screen on the phone and i can hear the audio only.

Also when using these settings I get the following error message when I try to save to .avi. 

"Error initializing audio stream compression.  The requested conversion is not possible"

Any help would be great!

I'm kind of new to all of this but I figured that I would meantion that if you use a program called AnyDVD you don't need to rip the movie from the DVD to the hard drive first.  This software allows to "go around" the copy-protection of a DVD allowing any software program the ability to access the VOB files.

You can download a trial from the developers website here: http://www.slysoft.com/en/

I had the same problem, I think that it is because I had the MP3 codec to play MP3's but not to convert to them.

I downloaded Lame MP3 codec and installed that. Here is the link for it

Lame ACM Codec

That shoud sort out your audio conversion problem.

Once that is installed you have to select it in Virtual Dub under Audio and Compression. You may have to try a few of the selections to get one that it will actually do (I know I did).

Not sure about your other problems, have you tried playing around with the screen size and rotation in Filters under video? If not if video-->Filters-->Configure allows you to change the screen size (set to 176x220 in v2) and also the rotation. Maybe that will help.

By the way, I doubt you'll ever get an all in one tool for this. The first step, VOB decryption and extraction is illegal in many countries. Just do a search for deCSS for more info.

Beyond that, I've got Dr DivX which would probably be good for Smartphone encoding, but I never use it for that. It's putting me in the mood tho!!

Guest The PocketTV Team
I can't get Poctet TV or MVP to work properly on the E200.  Is there another player available?

Can you please describe precisely the problem you have with PocketTV on your Smartphone ?

Guest marksewell

Guys, I think I have the holly grail !

I have an app called easy VCD.

This enables you to pop a dvd in to your drive click one button and it will give you an mpeg at the end, takes a while but it gets there.

The great thing about this app is that it calls up other programs in the background to do the conversion and as it happens the last one it calls up is our old friend TMPEG.

So all you need to do is to install the templates for the smartphone (Which are availible from this site) and when you see easy VCD call up TMPEG stop it and call up your version and run it using the same source files that it has created which is a d2v and a wav file.

This works perfect every time ! I promise !

If you want any other info then please let me know, Im working on modifying the app to use the smartphone profile by default but the code is hidden away.....

Oh well ive attached the app so you can try it for your self.

Enjoy ! :)

PS This is also free !

Guest The PocketTV Team
Sorry the EXE should wont upload, Ill try from home later!

You must ZIP them, or provide a link from where they can be downloaded.

Guest Jasonkruys

I am having problems converting DivX movies to ones compatible with the smartphone. I am using VirtualDub with clint's processing profile, making sure video compression is divx 5.0.3, and audio is mpeg-layer 3 at a low bitrate. It starts fine, but then someway through the conversion it just stops, and then gives an error :? It seems to happen on the same frame every time. I have tried on many different files to no success.

Suggestions?

Guest djtags

Try this programme called dvd to pocket pc from www.makayama.com. I have a trial of it at approx 9mb if anybody needs it. This lets you rip from dvd and select 128mb or 256 mb memory card and it squeezes it to the size you choose. End result is wmv file. I am not a fan of wmv. Give it a go anyway, watching Beat Street on my phone was quite nostalgic.

Cheers

Guest Jasonkruys

I will follow those suggestions for any future dvd conversions I am making, but it is divx files I have previously made for watching on my laptop that I am having problems with. :)

Guest rogerbates
I will follow those suggestions for any future dvd conversions I am making, but it is divx files I have previously made for watching on my laptop that I am having problems with.  :)

Have you tried playing the DVD from your hard drive? Does anything happen around the point of the film where Virtual Dub Crashes? Like stutters, stop or skips? If so you may want to rip it again.

Try using Smart Ripper to as the Pocket TV Team suggested, as far as I am concerned it is the best ripper around, never fails for me. If that still doesn’t work or you are using Smart Ripper then try DVD Decrypter that is pretty good too.

What error does Virtual Dub give?

Guest Jasonkruys

Kind of Sorted, completely uninstalled anything to do with divx, cleaned out the hard drive, registry and re-installed. Works on some files now, but not all :s

Last question, what bitrate is best? 100? or more. I have an e100 and will be using pocketmvp