Scrolling in Pocket IE

Guest sjalloq

Guest sjalloq

Please someone tell me that there's a browser out there that allows you to use the keypad buttons to page down or page up. Scrolling just using the nipple joystick is a complete nightmare. Running on SP5/WM5.

;)

Or is there a way to get the browser to display in landscape format? :??:

Guest flywest
You can't and you can't i'm afraid ;)

Interesting thing to try would be if it responds to page-down when you have a keyboard attached...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Opera for Smartphone browsing works allot better for scrolling. You can scroll 5x times faster.

Guest sjalloq
Opera for Smartphone browsing works allot better for scrolling.  You can scroll 5x times faster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a quick look at the Opera website earlier and couldn't see support for WM5 devices.

Paul, what is it about IE that you prefer over Opera?

I kinda like Pocket IE.... ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guys,

Opera 8 for Smartphone 2003 does work on WM5 - It's actually amazingly better than IE. You can browse sites with frames, pages load much faster, navigation is better...etc

It has a 14 day trial expiry date so it will give you time to decide whether you need it or not. Uninstall is quite simple providing you soft reset prior to unistalling to make sure none of the Opera stuff is loaded, also you will need to manually delete some Opera directories after uninstall.

Now I have set IE to load cache files onto my storage card (thanks Modaco community on how to) I will find it hard to justify any other browser if this can't be done to it too.

What would be really cool is to get MM Flash for WM5 Smartphone - I have emailed MM and I will update when I get an answer

Billy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest goatpunch
Opera 8 for Smartphone 2003 does work on WM5

[...]

Now I have set IE to load cache files onto my storage card (thanks Modaco community on how to) I will find it hard to justify any other browser if this can't be done to it too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Opera seems a lot better; faster scrolling, left/right for page up/down, multiple windows, frames, etc. I've had problems with it though, it seems to only work intermitently.

Opera's cache can be moved to the storage card too. It seems to try to create it in the storage card, but creates a \Storage directory instead. Just edit \Application Data\Opera\opera.ini and set the following:

[user Prefs]

Opera Directory=\Storage Card\Application Data\Opera

Edited by goatpunch

• 1 month later...
Please someone tell me that there's a browser out there that allows you to use the keypad buttons to page down or page up.  Scrolling just using the nipple joystick is a complete nightmare.  Running on SP5/WM5.

:D

Or is there a way to get the browser to display in landscape format?  :??:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And now for my first bit of registry magic... ;)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\KeyMaps]

"50"=dword:1

"56"=dword:2

The key name is the keycode you want. 50 = Key 2, and 56 = Key 8.

The values available are:

1 - Page Up

2 - Page Down

3 - Top

4 - Bottom

5 - Horizontal Page Up

6 - Horizontal Page Down

7 - Horizontal Top

8 - Horizontal Down

9 - Default Layout

10 - Desktop Layout

11 - One Column Layout

12 - Full Screen Toggle

13 - Show Pictures Toggle

On the MSFP (AKU 2.0) release, IE Mobile will have 2 set to Page Up and 8 Set to Page down by default. Other cool IE features are supposedly in the works too, you won't be disappointed!

Guest gacajun
And now for my first bit of registry magic...   ;)

1 - Page Up

2 - Page Down

3 - Top

4 - Bottom

5 - Horizontal Page Up

6 - Horizontal Page Down

7 - Horizontal Top

8 - Horizontal Down

9 - Default Layout

10 - Desktop Layout

11 - One Column Layout

12 - Full Screen Toggle

On the MSFP (AKU 2.0) release, IE Mobile will have 2 set to Page Up and 8 Set to Page down by default.  Other cool IE features are supposedly in the works too, you won't be disappointed!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I looked in the registry in my SP5 and I did not find the "KeyMaps" under the Internet Explorer folder. Is this a key that we need to create and then set the Dword values as you detailed?

Edited by gacajun

I looked in the registry in my SP5 and I did not find the "KeyMaps" under the Internet Explorer folder.  Is this a key that we need to create and then set the Dword values as you detailed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, just create the KeyMaps key and then add the above values that you want into it.

Guest namiran

hi! i did as you said i think, but nothing happens when pressing the keys.

i added a new key "KeyMaps" and then added DWORD "1" with the value data "50". What did i do wrong?

thanx for the grat tip btw =) you should add this to the tweaks section too =)

i added a new key "KeyMaps" and then added DWORD "1" with the value data "50". What did i do wrong?

thanx for the grat tip btw =) you should add this to the tweaks section too =)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its the other way round DWORD "50" with the value data "1"

you have to restart ie too

looeee

And now for my first bit of registry magic...  ;)

1 - Page Up

2 - Page Down

3 - Top

4 - Bottom

5 - Horizontal Page Up

6 - Horizontal Page Down

7 - Horizontal Top

8 - Horizontal Down

9 - Default Layout

10 - Desktop Layout

11 - One Column Layout

12 - Full Screen Toggle

On the MSFP (AKU 2.0) release, IE Mobile will have 2 set to Page Up and 8 Set to Page down by default.  Other cool IE features are supposedly in the works too, you won't be disappointed!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is friggin AWESOME!

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!!!!

Guest goatpunch
And now for my first bit of registry magic...  ;) [...]

That's awesome, Pocket IE is a nightmare without this scrolling fix. I got keys 0-9 working (keycodes 48-57), but couldnt' work out the keycodes for the '*' and '#' keys (the ASCII equivalents of '*' and '#' didn't work, of course). Also, I couldn't get the Default/Desktop/OneColumn Layout functions to work. All the rest worked fine though.

Cheers, thanks for the info.

While I'm on the subject of Pocket IE- here's a tip for the SP5m/8300: Edit the file \Windows\Short_AP1.lnk and remove the "http://www.imate.com" or similar (leaving only the text "23#\Windows\iexplore.exe"). Now when you're in another application and you hit the IE button, you will switch straight to IE without changing the current page. If IE isn't running when you press the IE button, you'll get the 'favourites' page, which is great if you're on GPRS and don't want to waste bandwidth with a 'home' page.

Edited by goatpunch

Guest djbressler

Fantastic bit of registry hacking. However, with Google, they've mapped the keys already - so the only key I found unused was 9 - which I set to page down, and that works perfectly for me!

thanks,

david

Guest scrattyrat

Goatpunch - how do i go about editing the readonly short_ap1.lnk file? having IE navigate to i-mate.com every time i press the explorer button is really annoying. Could you explain how to edit it please?

Thanks

Guest goatpunch
Goatpunch - how do i go about editing the readonly short_ap1.lnk file? having IE navigate  to i-mate.com every time i press the explorer button is really annoying. Could you explain how to edit it please?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used CE Notepad while connected via ActiveSync (can't remember where I found it- it's attached to this post). You could also use Total Commander on the phone itself by navigating to the file and using the 'Edit' option.

I think your phone has to be unlocked to edit this file; there's lots of info about this elsewhere on the forum.

cenotepad.zip

Guest scrattyrat

Thanks very much goatpunch. Worked a treat! ;)

Does anyone know how to map the other keypad keys? ie if 50=key2 & 56=key8, what = all the other keys?

thanks

Guest goatpunch
Thanks very much goatpunch. Worked a treat! ;)

Does anyone know how to map the other keypad keys? ie if 50=key2 & 56=key8, what = all the other keys?

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keys 0-9 are keycodes 48-57 (0=48, 1=29, 2=50... 9=57), but I don't know the other keys.

Edited by goatpunch

Keys 0-9 are keycodes 48-57 (0=48, 1=29, 2=50... 9=57), but I don't know the other keys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can find the keycodes in the SDK, but the easiest way is to use a handy little free tool by Xetra. It's included in their tools pack.

http://xetranet.free.fr/xbar2/download/tools.zip

When you run keycode.exe, it shows you the keycode for the key you just pressed. Any of the hotkeys that are mapped to other functions (like home, volume up, etc) will still do their normal functions, so you may not be able to see those (but then again you wouldn't be able to map to them anyway).

You want to use the number in the parenthesis, not the hex 0x?? code for the IE registry hack.