Overclock for TI OMAP850 - finally!

Guest schriss

Guest schriss

See news here http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4884.html :D

It works great, I was overclicking my Qtek 8310 (same as I-Mate SP5, SP5m, Qtek 8300, 8310) one step at a time and was running TCPMP Benchmark each time, with same file, saving results to file.

Speed improvements were big at each step!

Bench Data Rate went from 1.1Mbit to 1.7Mbit

Average Speed went from 125.17% to 192.79%

At 288MHz it froze in the middle of benchmark.

Just remember that when phone goes to sleep when you not use it for a minute or so, it will reset the speed setting to default. Nice thing is command line options, so you can have it set desired speed for selected applications, that require more power.

Sticky, please? :)

bench_20060210_134650_No_Overclock.txt

bench_20060210_074431_204MHz.txt

bench_20060210_075408_216MHz.txt

bench_20060210_080546_228MHz.txt

bench_20060210_081003_240MHz.txt

bench_20060210_081323_252MHz.txt

bench_20060210_133503_264MHz.txt

bench_20060210_133811_276MHz.txt

Edited by schriss

Guest schriss
No work...  

Initialization failed.

Reason: Can't map I/O

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As usual... Your phone is not application unlocked. See pinned "Tweaks" topic.

Edited by schriss

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes...

HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 2 => 1 HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 16 => 40

just the same, No work... :|

Guest ElGato65
yes...

HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 2 => 1 HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 16 => 40

just the same, No work...    :|

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same, here :)

Guest ElGato65

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little more clarity would have been useful.

It seems you need to use the SDA Unlocker in order to get it to work, I guess the reg "tweaks" don't do enough.

Guest ElGato65

And what a fantastic app. I guess there seems to be so much room for overclocking because maybe the phone manufacturers would favour battery life over speed to a certain extent.

Guest schriss
Same, here :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, reg edit is one thing, then you need to run unlock app. It's all in the "Tweaks" topic I mentioned.

This CPU seems very efficient, so little overclock gives so much speed boost :)

Guest Pondrew
This CPU seems very efficient, so little overclock gives so much speed boost  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the impression I'm getting too, from overclocking the MDA Compact II/HTC Charmer (same processor as your HTC Tornado but in Pocket PC Phone form). A small increase in clock speed from 200MHz to 250Mhz was enough to outperform the Intel Xscale processored MDA III/HTC Blue Angel at 400MHz.

As you say, seems quite a capable processor although I AM still wary of damaging the life of the battery or the processor itself... :|

Guest schriss
That's the impression I'm getting too, from overclocking the MDA Compact II/HTC Charmer (same processor as your HTC Tornado but in Pocket PC Phone form). A small increase in clock speed from 200MHz to 250Mhz was enough to outperform the Intel Xscale processored MDA III/HTC Blue Angel at 400MHz.

As you say, seems quite a capable processor although I AM still wary of damaging the life of the battery or the processor itself...  :|

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I overclock my PC all the time, 15 years of experience. Overclocking itself never damaged anything. My Smartphone just froze (due to overheating, probably) in the middle of the test. At lower settings it passed benchmark. You could dfamage CPU if you up the voltage, but we don't.

Battery life - could you use Pocket Battery Analyzer and do two runs (full battery discharge) with same setup, for example backlight on, looped MP3 or DivX player in background? Once at stock speed, second run with overclock? That would clear things up. Lets hope this CPU is as power efficient as powerful :)

Pocket Battery Analyzer draws nice estimated battery life graph, you will quickly notice if overclocked is going to last shorter and how much.

Does the SDA unlocker work on the E200 and C500, both on Orange?? I cant seem to unlock the phones. The same message comes up- ' phone is not unlockable ' ?? What do I do? Also once unlocked, will I be able to overclock these phones? At present I get the same I/O error.

Thanks

Guest schriss
Does the SDA unlocker work on the E200 and C500, both on Orange?? I cant seem to unlock the phones. The same message comes up- ' phone is not unlockable '  ?? What do I do? Also once unlocked, will I be able to overclock these phones? At present I get the same I/O error.

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea, this is not "unlock" topic, just remember that SDA unlock REQUIRES you to modify registry entries before you run it.

It's all here

http://spaces.msn.com/members/xpworld/Blog...A!198.entry

and here:

http://www.modaco.com/Tweak_for_iMate_SP5_SP5m-t230975.html

If you have E200 and C500 then please check hardware specific forum sections.

Please stop writing about phone unlocking, get back to this topic once you have the overclock application running and have some feedback on it: performance, battery life, successfully rurnning applications that were unable to work smooth before, etc.

Edited by schriss

Listen mate, I was asking about unlocking the phone because I couldnt get the Overclocking application to work! I thought this forum was there to help people. For you interest, I managed to Overclock the E200 to 160mhz, and there was considerable improvement in performance, both in the BetaPlayer benchmark and also the playability of some Gameboy roms with Gnuboy CE. Then I tried underclocking- and the phone was still usable, although sluggish at 80mhz. The battery life is untested. Cannot work out how to go into sleep mode to reset the clock speed, other than turning off the phone.

Guest schriss
Listen mate, I was asking about unlocking the phone because I couldnt get the Overclocking application to work! I thought this forum was there to help people. For you interest, I managed to Overclock the E200 to 160mhz, and there was considerable improvement in performance, both in the BetaPlayer benchmark and also the playability of some Gameboy roms with Gnuboy CE. Then I tried underclocking- and the phone was still usable, although sluggish at 80mhz. The battery life is untested. Cannot work out how to go into sleep mode to reset the clock speed, other than turning off the phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mine resets clock speed as soon as the screen goes black, 1 minute after I left it untouched. I set the time in Power Management menu.

Guest namiran

look in the pinned tweaking topic, i have given a tip how to change the screen turnoff and backlight turnoff to whatever you want to, even many many hours. hope this helps, great discovery :)

Guest schriss
look in the pinned tweaking topic, i have given a tip how to change the screen turnoff and backlight turnoff to whatever you want to, even many many hours. hope this helps, great discovery :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but I want my backlight to turn off in less that a minute, not more :) So I will change it to 30 seconds. Screen is biggest battery drain.

As you guys know, the clockspeed is reset when the device is suspended (the screen turns off). Is there a way to execute a program automaticly, in the background, when the device (Qtek8310) wakes up from suspension ? .. this in order to revert back to overclocked speed again.

/Eminos

• 5 months later...
Guest harrysaab

send me the link to download the overclocking software please.

cant seem to find it here..

thanks.

See news here http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4884.html ;)

It works great, I was overclicking my Qtek 8310 (same as I-Mate SP5, SP5m, Qtek 8300, 8310) one step at a time and was running TCPMP Benchmark each time, with same file, saving results to file.

Just remember that when phone goes to sleep when you not use it for a minute or so, it will reset the speed setting to default. Nice thing is command line options, so you can have it set desired speed for selected applications, that require more power.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest harrysaab

i overclocked imate sp5 to 240MHz,

but it dont stay there,

keeps going bk to 200/173ish after few mins or after about 5/10mins when i check it in TCPMP/Core player.

why is that? how can i make it stay at 240mhz?

cheers.

See news here http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4884.html ;)

Guest RSkillz

Ok, I don't get it, why is this new?

Taken from the msmobile site:

"The application, named 'OMAPclock', seems to have been developed originally on a Russian site with the aim of speeding up the Motorola MPx range. By happy coincidence, HTC Wizard owners have discovered that it works on their devices too, and interest in the application has increased somewhat"

So it's the exact same O'C application used in THIS topic?

I've been using OMAPclock since the first day I got my 8310 AND with TornadoPowerControl it set's the speed back when it resumes from standby

Edited by RSkillz