Like many things in life, phone contracts are frustrating because as an existing customer, you can't get access to the same deals as new customers. I suspect that at some point in the coming years this may be outlawed, but until then, if you want a new customer deal without losing your number, you need to switch network. Or do you?
We recently assisted a reader who was currently on 3 but wanted to get a great deal offered only to new 3 customers. The solution? Surprisingly straightforward.
- Cancel the current contract, requesting a PAC code (porting authorisation code)
- Pick up a PAYG SIM from another network (most networks will send them out for free via a form on their website)
- Port your number to the PAYG account
- Sign up with your previous provider again, taking advantage of the new customer deal
- Request a PAC code from the PAYG provider
- Port the number back off PAYG to your new account