Just thought i'd post up the tutorial!!!
Thanks to the guys at Alldroid.org, you can now have froyo 2.2 for the Droid X. Here are the directions to root it.
As is always the case with this sort of activity, you do this completely at your own risk.
Theidoctor.org Is not responsible for any damage caused!
Download is attached at the bottom, READ THE GUIDE!
REMEMBER WHERE YOU SAW IT FIRST!
(Run means type the command in quotes [but not the quotes] then press the Enter key)
1. Download the attached archive and expand it to a folder you can find (eg. c:\DroidXRoot_v2)
2. Set up ADB (Step-by-step guide for Windows Vista/7 HERE. <– USE THAT THREAD FOR ADB SUPPORT PLEASE.)
3. On the phone: Home, Menu Button, Settings, Applications, Development: Make sure the “USB debugging” option is enabled/checked.
4. Status bar, USB connection: Make sure “PC Mode” is selected.
5. Open a command prompt (Windows: Start, Run, “cmd”, OK; Linux: Terminal)
6. Run “adb devices”. If you don’t see your device listed under “List of devices attached”, return to step 2 and follow the link to setup ADB (use that topic for support) and return here when “adb devices” lists your X.
7. Run “CD c:\DroidXRoot” (or where ever you expanded the archive)
8. Run “adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk“
9. Run “adb push su /sdcard/su“
10. Run “adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox“
11. Run “adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid“
12. Run “adb shell“
13. Run “cd sqlite_stmt_journals“
14. Run “chmod 755 exploid“
15. On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
16. IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
17. Run “./exploid” and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you’ll be back at a shell prompt.
18. Run “rootshell“. You’ll be prompted for a password.
19. Type in password “secretlol” and press Enter then you are root! (You’ll know because your prompt will now be a “#” instead of “$”)
20. Run “cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk“
21. Run “cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su“
22. Run “cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox“
23. Run “chmod 4755 /system/bin/su“
24. Run “chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox“
25. Run “rm /system/bin/rootshell“
26. Run “exit” to drop from root to a non-root user shell (on phone still)
27. Run “exit” to drop back to your machine command prompt (instead of phone)
To Confirm root is established:
1. Run “adb shell“
2. Run “su” (now you should see the # sign which indicates you are root)
3. Watch your screen so you can allow Superuser root access.
You’re done! feel free to kill the bloat apps snd such.
NOTE: It might be a smart idea to do “rm /system/bin/rootshell” after you have su and superuser in place as ANY program will have access to your root if you leave it (cause everyone will know the password)
* Sebastian Kramer for this blog post - http://c-skills.blogspot…07/android-trickery.html
* Birdman – for editing Sebastians work for the droidx
* [mbm] – for answering birdmans many questions while root was tried (and failed xD)
* Evidence of root: http://tiny.cc/DroidXRootProof
* Video tutorial for root: http://tiny.cc/How2RootDroidXVideo
DROID X ROOT V2