The Complete Wildfire Index (Root/S-OFF Guides/ROMs/Kernels/Radios/RUU/Recoveries/Themes)
This thread has 2 Posts, and is categorized as following. You can scroll down to the Point you are looking for.
Post 1: Getting Root / S-OFF to your Wildfire. A Short overview and Guide Custom ROM List
Custom Kernels List Radio (Baseband) List RUU List (ROM Update Utility - Getting back to stock) Custom Recoveries (ClockWorkMod) Themes List Misc tweaks / hacks
1: Rooting / S-OFF'ing your Wildfire
-- Rooting your phone is essential if you wish to install Custom ROM's, Custom Apps2SD Scripts, Overclock, install Root only apps etc. Note: Rooting will void your warranty, but, you can use an RUU (Refer Pt 5) to restore back to your stock ROM. Rooting essentially consists of 2 parts - Pushing a custom Recovery like Clockworkmod (Essential), and, installing the SuperUser app.
AlphaRev X Public Beta is now available. You can now get S-OFF and root, on all the newer HBoots as well. Means, now, irrespective on which Wildfire you are on, you can get S-OFF and root!Link HERE
UPDATE (03/08/2011) - AlphaRev X is now called Revolutionary. The Process stated below remains the same, only the website and the name has changed. The new Website can be accessed HERE
A Short FAQ and Guide for AlphaRev X (Revolutionary):Q: First and foremost, what is S-OFF?
A: It's the disabling of the SecuFlag, a security implementation by HTC. When your phone is S-OFF, you essentially have "complete control" over it. Advatages stated below.
Q: I am rooted already. Do I need S-OFF?
A: Depends. Advantages of S-OFF are writable /system partition, so you can perform many modifications directly on your Wildfire, without using ADB. Also, you can change your Splash screen. (It is the White screen with Green HTC Text which comes immediately after power on). Another major advantage is enabling of Fastboot (On AlphaRev X only). However, it is not "essential" that you got to have S-OFF.
Q: Is the warranty void?
A: Yes, as is the case with rooting and installing Custom ROMs, Warranty IS void. But, there are ways to get back to a stock configuration. Refer the next question.
Q: How do I revert back to S-ON?
A: It's now possible! You will require Fastboot, and the Stock HBoot (a nb0 file) from an RUU. The guide for the same can be found HERE
Q: Ok, I am interested! How to I go about it?
A: Visit the website HERE. Download for your respective platform. Short How - To below:
Q: Which HBoot version do I have? Which versions does AlphaRev X support?
A: To get your version, Power off your phone. Then hold Vol Down + Power Key, this will open HBoot menu, and your version will be written on the first line. AlphaRev X only supports HBoot 1.01.x at this point of time, and not 0.80x. So, if you are on 0.80, you will have to flash an official Froyo RUU (Point 5 of this thread), and continue from there.Pre - Requisites: - A phone on one of the newer HBoots 1.01.0001 or 1.01.0002. HBoot 1.01.0002 is no longer supported, and you will have to downgrade to 1.01.0001. Guide here
- ADB Drivers. Download HTC Sync, Install it and Uninstall it after that. We just need the drivers.
- Hacked HBoot Drivers. Guide Here
- Your Wildfire's Serial Number. (Printed on the Box and below the battery. It is a 12 digit Alphanumeric number, which normally (not necessarily) begins with HT0 (That's a Zero))
- USB Debugging ON. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
- When you connect your Wildfire to your PC, make sure it is in "Charge only" mode.The Actual Process: - The actual process is pretty much self explanatory. After you download the program, simply run it. It will detect your Wildfire, along with its HBoot version, (If drivers are installed properly. This process doesn't take time at all), and perform the patching of the HBoot. The entire process takes about 1 minute at most. If it gets stuck there is some problem somewhere. If it states Success at the end, that's it. Your phone is patched and is now S-OFF.
- Here's a video tutorial on how to get S-OFF and install a Custom recovery using Revolutionary. (Courtesy theunlockr)
http://theunlockr.com/2011/08/02/how...ionary-method/ - WARNING - Some reports by members suggest that after S-OFF'ing with AlphaRev, they encounter various issues, on the Stock / HTC Sense based ROMs. You will lose the ability to use HTC Setup, HTC Wallpapers and HTC Scenes. Everything else works as intended though.
- UPDATE - There is a Fix for it. Head over here: Fix for Sense 2.2.1 after S-OFFPotential Problems: - Stuck at Detecting Device - Drivers are not installed properly. Refer the Pre-Requisites section.
- Stuck at Booting at Fastboot or Process 2 - You are possibly on HBoot 1.01.0002. There are some versions of the latest HBoot which is not supported by AlphaRev X, and you will have to downgrade it. IEF of the AlphaRev X team has written a great guide for the same, which can be accessed here
- Unknown command - Similar to above. You are probably on HBoot 1.01.0002 and will need to downgrade.
- Wrong Beta Key - Just what it says, you are reading it wrong. Majorly, there is confusion between I (Capital I) and l (small L). Re-read your beta key. Also, make sure the values you have entered into the website are correct, especially your Serial number. Another way to rectify this is redownloading the executable from the website, which fixed it for many users. (Your key should still be correct though)
- Stuck after Beta Key successful - Uninstall HTC Sync. This seemed to fix the issue for me personally.
- Anything else - First, Downgrade to HBoot 1.01.0001, if not already done so. Guide here. If it still doesn't work, I am at the end of my limited knowledge. Contact the AlphaRev X team, they will put you on the right track. Link Here (IRC Link)
What after S-OFF?
Great, your phone is now S-OFF, meaning with a completely unlocked bootloader. However, before you get to flashing a Custom ROM or modding, you will have to install a Custom Recovery (like Clockworkmod). Get your needed version of Clockworkmod from the second post, and follow one of the methods to install it.1) Via Revolutionary Itself - Revolutionary now asks you after S-OFF'ing your device whether you would want to install a Custom Recovery or not. If you select Yes, it will automatically download the latest Clockworkmod Recovery and install it on your Wildfire. It's definitely the easiest way with absolutely no hassles. But, if it fails for you, the 2 alternatives are stated below.
2) Via Terminal Emulator - Guide Here. If you get an error "flash_image: Not Found", follow Steps 1-5 from Here, then, back to the original (first) link. Pushing of flash_image is a 1 time process. You need not repeat it everytime.
3) Via Fastboot (Needs AlphaRev / Revolutionary S-OFF) - Guide Here. Refer the part called "To install Clockworkmod after Revolutionary". Can't understand Step 6? Screenshot here: (My fastboot .exe is in D:\Android\android-sdk-windows). Link to Image
4) Via Unrevoked (No Pre-Requisites. Works on S-ON / S-OFF devices) - Guide Here
I want to install <Insert ROM Name here> What next?- After you have performed all of the above steps, Refer this thread by 42turkey's for a very detailed explanation on what to do to install Custom ROMs. Link Here
(NOTE -Follow that Guide from Part 3 onwards. Part 1 and 2 are already performed in the above steps. Thus, you do not need to use Unrevoked)
Only applicable if you are on HBoot 0.80x (i.e. Android 2.1 Eclair)[GUIDE] Turkeys' Ultimate Guide to Root Wildfire v42.1.2 (Root ROM A2SD & Unoot!)
================================================== 2: ROM List: (Sorted by Last Update Date)
Short Primer on Wildfire ROMs: AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project. AOSP ROM's are essentially pure (or bare) Android ROM's - The way Android was originally developed, and "intended" to be experienced. Sense ROM's are the ones which are based on the HTC Sense UI. The Sense UI adds various functionalities like a smart dialer and contacts app, better social network integration, HTC Widgets etc. There is no ROM which is "best". ROM choice is extremely subjective, and, what is the current favourite, may not appeal to you. Hence, use your discretion, read the threads, and test a few before settling on your personal favourite. ProTip - If you are modding your "significant other's" (colleagues, girls, wifes, mother-in-laws etc) Wildfire, (Or anyone, who isn't much inclined to tech / smartphones in general) , it is recommended to stick with Stock / Sense based ROMs ******************************
1: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs
****************************** WARNING - Please read the thread carefully before flashing it, so you know what works and what doesn't. These are Test ROMs, and, may not be suitable for daily usage yet. A) AOSP Based "Original Development" / Source Built ROMs:2012-09-20 - CyanogenMod 9.0.0 Unofficial Test Builds by arco68 / ErwinP
B) AOSP Based Derivative / "Based-On" ROMs: 2012-11-11 - MiniCM9 v1 by jordfaz 2012-10-29 - MIUI V4 2.10.26 Beta by tathanhlam66 2012-10-16 - ICS LiGux v4.1 byelia222 2012-10-16 - Paranoid Android 2.1 by elia222 2012-10-14 - HTC Hero CyanogenMod 9 4.0.4 Port by Damag3 2012-10-08 - Xperia Lovin Ice Cream v1.1 by tathanhlam66 2012-10-05 - MIUI V4 2.9.21 Unofficial SnapSeries by Steriod™ 2012-09-30 - KoolMIUI 2.6.8 V1.1 by KoolSavas95 2012-09-27 - MIUI V4 1.0 by Pator57 2012-07-13 - AOKP Milstone 6 Port by tathanhlam66 2012-03-04 - MIUI V4 2.3.2 Beta 1 by stelios97 2012-02-25 - SplashICS v0.6 by jamal2367
2: Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROMs
****************************** A) AOSP Based "Original Development" / Source Built ROMs:2012-11-10 - CyanMobileX Build 1 by keyur2maru 2012-06-16 - CyanogenMod 7.2 Final(GWK74/2.3.7) byarco68 / HCDR.Jacob 2012-03-15 - CyanogenMod-7 Nightly Builds (GWK74/2.3.7) by arco68 / HCDR.Jacob (Local Builds byErwinP / cobje) 2012-01-25 - Abtekk's Custom ROM v3 (2.3.7) by abtekk 2011-12-21 - DevNull (GRJ90/2.3.5) and Oxygen 2.3.2 (GWK74/2.3.7) Test Builds by schiznik 2011-11-11 - Stock AOSP 2.3.7r1 GWK74 with 188.8.131.52-nFinity by xdbg 2011-10-10 - CyanogenMod-184.108.40.206 for Wildfire by arco68 / HCDR.Jacob 2011-07-22 - Wild Ginger GB 2.3.4 by h4oxer 2011-05-28 - Whisper by ben1066
B) AOSP Based Derivative / "Based-On" ROMs: 2012-11-15 - MIUI GB V3 by jordfaz 2012-11-12 - MiniCM7 v1 by jordfaz 2012-11-07 - COSG3 v.30SC by nino90 2012-11-05 - CZRom by Rydlis 2012-09-05 - 3v1lut10n by Damag3 2012-08-17 - LeWaOS v14 by elia222 2012-08-12 - Lovin Ice Cream 1.0 by tathanhlam66 2012-08-10 - Lezo Buzz 1.8.3 by tathanhlam66 2012-07-26 - LiGux v8.1 Final by elia222 2012-07-24 - KoolSony HD v2.1 by KoolSavas95 2012-07-07 - MokeeOS v2 by slymobi 2012-06-28 - Kool-Elia-JoyOS v3.0 by Various Devs 2012-06-19 - ShenduOS by tathanhlam66 2012-05-16 - MIUI Buzz Beta 7 by hacktrix2006 2012-05-12 - Lezo for HTC Wildfire by tathanhlam66 2012-04-29 - Galaxy Nexus (ICS Style Mod) by josemaesra 2012-03-06 - SplashMOD v2.0 - (2.3.7) by jamal2367 2012-02-23 - High-Voltage Three by george1234567890 2011-11-30 - ZeroROM v1.0! by revan1993 2011-11-19 - IceCreamBread™ v1.1 - (2.3.7) by mrweqa 2011-10-23 - LotusMod S 1.0 Final by kaassaus 2011-08-13 - JokerGEN 1.0 Beta by emiliano7 2011-07-29 - LotusMod V1.3 Beta 2.0 (2.3.4)(A2SD+)(HCDR.Kernel) by jonas2295 2011-06-22 - Wild Eye 1.0 by migueldemon / anonimo95 2011-06-01 - Ruymanca V7.1 Pain Ass by ruymanca / anonimo95 2011-05-11 - Ginger Yoshi 1.1 (2.3.4) by stevendeb25
C) Sense Based:
NOTE - All ROM's below are experimental. Please read the thread carefully before flashing it, so you know what works and what doesn't. 2012-06-13 - KoolSense v1.7.3 (Sense 2.1 on Gingerbread 2.3.3) by KoolSavas95 2012-06-03 - buSyBuZz v1.0 (Sense 3.5 on Gingerbread 2.3.7) by benjamingwynn 2012-03-25 - Sense 3.5 Beta 1 by Various Devs 2011-10-19 - SenseOnFire v0.4b (Sense 2.1 on Gingerbread 2.3.3) by VigiDroid 2011-06-08 - SFM 1.1 based on Salsa (Sense 2.1 on Gingerbread 2.3.3) by evilisto
3: Android 2.2 FroYo ROMs
- Any 2.2 (or below) ROMs will need Clockworkmod 2.x to flash it. Attempting to flash it in Clockworkmod 3.x will give you an error that Amend Scripting is deprecated by Google in Cupcake and is no longer supported.
- To rectify this, you may "permanently" go back to Clockworkmod 2.x by using Unrevoked / Fastboot
- Or, as a "temporary" solution, Download ROM Manager > Open it > Select Install Clockworkmod Recovery > Then Select Reboot into Recovery within ROM Manager. This will open 220.127.116.11, allowing you to flash 2.2 ROMs. This version is over and above your existing 3.x/4.x version
- Or, another temporary fix is to download the attachment, flash it, and proceed. Repeat everytime you need Clockworkmod 2.x A) AOSP Based:2011-07-05 - WildMix 1.0 by anonimo95 2010-12-12 - CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Stable) for HTC Buzz (Wildfire) by HCDR.Jacob 2010-12-06 - UtmostROM_2.0.8a by UtmostMick0
B) Sense Based: 2012-10-19 - kwbr Wildfire 4.3.1 by kwbr 2012-09-26 - RemPuzzleRom 2.81 by kylon 2012-08-24 - Arsenal 1.1 by ontheflames 2011-03-21 - DK Custom Froyo v4.7 by Deep-Knight 2011-08-23 - Steam v1.0 (Supports Arabic) by trippinz 2011-08-18 - AeroFire_v0.5 (ROM/Theme) by JoeyDelp 2011-06-11 - JokerDroid 4.2 by emiliano7 2011-03-23 - Android Freedom Wildfire 2.2.1 (Arabic sense) by moni69 2011-03-21 - InsertCoin v0.2 by baadnewz 2011-02-06 - DS Version 7.a by daddyspud 2011-01-23 - Leaf r3 by doomed151 2011-01-07 - SUnAaBh v1.1 by warriorvibhu 2010-12-30 - WildPuzzleROM 2.2.1 v0.6 Light (Remake) by jan27t 2010-12-22 - Blazing Yoghurt 1.0 bynobloat 2010-12-10 - 2.22.405.1 r1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM with Online Kitchen by paulobrien 2010-12-xx - WildPuzzle 2.2.1 v0.6 by danne_jo
-- Hybrid ROM's are, at their core, Sense ROM's, with various Sense Features / Apps removed and replaced with AOSP ROM's. 2012-02-04 - StockMOD 1.0 by saranhai 2011-03-09 - ImPrOS v1.2 by h4xoer 2011-02-22 - Stock Froyo + HTC Hybrid V6 by HewGBalls
2: ROM List (Contd..) *******************************
4: Android 2.1 Eclair ROMs
******************************* A) AOSP Based:-- None
B) Sense Based: 2010-11-16 - 1.37.405.1 r1 – HTC Wildfire Stock ROM with Online Kitchen by paulobrien 2010-09-19 - VIBES v1.6 by warriorvibhu
C) Hybrid: 2010-09-20 - Vibes LITE v2.0(Most Bloat Removed) by warriorvibhu
4: Experimental ROMs
******************************* -- Warning - These are experimental ports, with many non working functions. It is recommended to read the entire post carefully and perform a complete system backup before you attempt to flash these ROM's. 2012-10-31 - CyanogenMod 10 Build 1 (Android 4.1 - Jellybean Source Build) by jordfaz 2012-07-24 - CyanogenMod 10 RC0 (Android 4.1 - Jellybean Source Build) by danibosev 2011-02-28 - Honeyfire Alpha 2 (Android 3.0 - Honeycomb SDK Port) by ben1066
================================================== 3: Kernel List: (Sorted by Last Update Date)
-- In it's very basic terms, allows the software to communicate with hardware
-- A custom kernel is a must if you intend to overclock. The stock kernel's don't allow it. 2012-05-03 - [GB/ICS] Sympfinity Beta 4 [sIO-V/R-BFQ3][savagedZen-LagFree-SmartAssV2] by Sympnotic 2011-11-21 - InfinityPLAY for CM7/AOSP by KeiranFTW 2011-10-14 - [No WiFi N][Default 518][Fix Hotspot] Kernel based on Arco's nFinity & HCDRJacob's by johnseen99 2011-09-07 - nFinity 2.6.35 (Kernel included by default in CM7 - Do NOT use on the Stock ROM) by arco68 2011-06-18 - nFinity 2.6.32 by arco68 2011-05-23 - [CIFS][WiFi Sleep Fix][Multicast][NFS][AOE]Kernel based on HCDRJacob's/Arco's nFinity kernel source by s7mx1 2011-01-29 - [KERNEL][OC/UV][bFQ][AUFS][FTW][GPL] HCDR.Kernel v4.2 || Flash to any ROM by HCDR.Jacob
================================================== 4: Radio List:
-- Radio is the lowest software layer of any phone which controls its GSM Functionality, BT, WiFi, GPS etc.
-- These only work with Clockworkmod 2.5.x. To get Clockworkmod 2.x when you have a newer version, refer the note under Android 2.2 (FroYo) ROMs.
-- Make sure you have sufficient battery charge and do not interrupt the flashing process. -- Warning: - Do NOT Flash any of these Radio's if your Wildfire is not a standard GSM HTC Wildfire A3333, or, it uses any special frequency bands. (eg: 850 MHz). You will lose that particular frequency then, Radio_18.104.22.168H_22.214.171.124 Radio_126.96.36.199H_188.8.131.52 Radio_184.108.40.206H_220.127.116.11
================================================== 5: RUUs:
-- RUU Stands for ROM Update Utility. You use a RUU whenever you wish to get back to a completely Stock ROM, as it was out of the box.
-- Normally EXE Files, some RUUs which update the bootloader and prevent rooting have been now distributed as a Flashable ZIP. So, you do not lose the ability to root, and, still can get back to Stock ROM's. A) Safe Flash ZIP Files: 2010-12-18 - Safe Buzz_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.22.405.1 | No Hboot | No Radio | No Rooted & Rooted by McSpee 2010-11-28 - Repack of the chinese RUU, Android 2.2 Froyo Rooted Chinese apps removed by Andrey765
[*]HTC Wildfire Shipped / Stock ROMs Collection
-- All RUU's are well over 100MB. Make sure you get the complete file.
-- Get a Customer Error ID 131? You need a Goldcard. Guides can be Googled.
6: Custom Recoveries:
-- The stock custom recovery obtained after rooting with Unrevoked is 18.104.22.168, and, the one obtained after using Revolutionary (Provided you selected Yes to installing Custom Recovery) is v22.214.171.124
-- To get rid of the offmode charging bug (Which prevents the phone from being switched on normally when charged in a switched off condition), you will need Clockworkmod 126.96.36.199 or newer.
-- Warning - Installing CWM 3.x/4.x will prevent the installation of Radio's and Sense based ROM's (Amend Scripting not supported). Use CWM from within ROM Manager to rectify this. Or, reinstall v188.8.131.52 from the link given below, Or, flash the attached file (update1.zip from the previous post). Also, Amon RA's Recovery is not officially supported. It's experimental.
How to Install a new Clockworkmod Recovery Image?
There are 4 basic ways:
1) Via Terminal Emulator (Needs S-OFF) - Guide Here. If you get an error "flash_image: Not Found", follow Steps 1-5 from Here, then, back to the original (first) link. Pushing of flash_image is a 1 time process. You need not repeat it everytime.
2) Via Fastboot (Needs AlphaRev / Revolutionary S-OFF or HTC DEV Unlocked Bootloader) - Guide Here. Refer the part called "To install Clockworkmod after Revolutionary"
3) Via PC49IMG.zip Process (Needs S-OFF) - Download anyone of the PC49IMG ZIP file of the recovery you wish to install, place on your SDcard, and reboot into HBoot Mode (Power Off, then Vol Down + Power Simultaneously). It will detect the file, and ask to install. Simply select Yes. If you wish to install another version which isn't present below, simply get the IMG file of the recovery version you wish to install,and replace in an existing ZIP. (Without Unzipping)
4) Via Unrevoked (No Pre-Requisites. Works on S-ON / S-OFF devices) - Guide Here
A) Clockworkmod 6.x
[*]ClockWorkMod v184.108.40.206 + Aroma Installer
B) Clockworkmod 5.x
[*]ClockWorkMod v220.127.116.11 - Click Here for PC49IMG ZIP
C) Clockworkmod 4.x
D) Clockworkmod 3.x
E) Clockworkmod 2.x
[*]ClockWorkMod v18.104.22.168 - Click Here for PC49IMG ZIP
[*]Amon RA 2.0.0
-- There is already a thread created by BodenM for this purpose. Includes Sense based, CM6 (Admittedly few) and a few CM7 ROMs. Refer the link below:
[*]Complete Theme List for Wildfire
-- Here is another Theme List for the Theme Chooser App included in many Gingerbread AOSP ROMs like Cyanogenmod 7, Ginger Yoshi, Ruymanca etc. MDPI and MDPI/HDPI Themes will work pretty good on the Wildfire, and, HDPI Themes may work, so its a hit or miss. Check this awesome post by maxpower47 here:
[*]Theme Chooser Themes
[*][script][A2SD]Darktremor 22.214.171.124 Beta 04 [buzz] (01/29/2011)
-- True Apps2SD that makes use of an EXT Partition on your SD Card to move apps completely to it.
[*]HTC IME for Tattoo/Wildfire (Working with Froyo and Gingerbread)
-- Miss the HTC keyboard on AOSP ROMs? The one posted here works perfectly, including the different versions that HTC offers - Compact QWERTY, QWERTY and Phone Keypad
[*][RLZ][v7.2.2] Patched Market (latest v.2.2.11 / Froyo & Gingerbread)
-- Allows non compatible devices on the Android Market to be seen and downloaded. (No, Paid apps will remain paid). The latest update can be found here
[*]Reverse Tethering Wildfire --> Internet Pass Through
-- Allows you to use your computers / laptops internet on your mobile via USB. Does not work on Android Market out of the box though.
[*]Custom MTD Partitions for the Wildfire (Increase Internal Memory Size)
-- Reallocate memory from your internal ROM in such a way to as to increase your internal memory size for installing apps to upto 320MB. This removes the needs for Apps2SD Scripts and gives you a potentially more stable device. Needs S-OFF using Revolutionary
[*]AGPS Patch for the Wildfire v3.1 and 3.2
-- This is a patch developed by XDA user crypted for various devices. The benefits claimed are a much improved lock on time, and a connection to a greater number of satellites than before.
[*]Dual Booting on the HTC Wildfire
-- Just what it says. This guide teaches you how to have multiple ROMs on your Wildfire and dual boot between them using an app called Boot Manager