Cutting through the C550 rumours...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest spacerace

now that's a funky i300 ! at the time it was probably a giant leap....

I also agree WiFi is unlikely, we're just not that far along with smartphones yet. I can't wait for it to be included but for the C550 I think WM5 would be a big surprise let alone WiFi.

Guest harrelson

whats the point of buying the c550 now when 3 months down the line a massively superior phone with better software is going to be released.

sounds like HTC brought out this one a bit too late

go ahead take the risk of getting stuck with wm2003se till 2007

Edited by harrelson

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Its the latest incarnation of the Windows Mobile software, 2003 and 2003se were both built on WinCE 4.2, WM5 is built in WinCE's 5th incarnation, therefore, Windwo Mobile 5 (thats how i see it anyway ;p)

Also - i wonder if the camera is any better than the Magicians, i was a little disapointed at its quality...

Guest morpheus2702
whats the point of buying the c550 now when 3 months down the line a massively superior phone with better software is going to be released.

sounds like HTC brought out this one a bit too late

go ahead take the risk of getting stuck with wm2003se till 2007

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More to the point, what's the point in Orange launching the phone if they have a much better phone waiting in the wings? OK - as a stop-gap, but I wasn't aware that C500 sales had stagnated and it is still earning a lot of kudos in the smartphone arena?

How many months were there between the E200 and the C500, as I'm guessing that we'll see the C600 in December, and someone at T3 got their wires crossed with announcing the C550 arriving December.

Guest MitchellO
He means this one:

Samsung_i300_3GB_MusicPhone1.JPG

Seems as if there are two i300s: see HERE and HERE

The old 33mhz 8mb ram pda is the SPH-i300.

And the stylish Windows Mobile one with the 3gb hard disc is the SGH-i300.

Kinda confusing I know!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) :D ;)

I know. Looks like a great phone!

Its the latest incarnation of the Windows Mobile software, 2003 and 2003se were both built on WinCE 4.2, WM5 is built in WinCE's 5th incarnation, therefore, Windwo Mobile 5 (thats how i see it anyway ;p)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having been using WM5 for the last couple of days, there doesn't appear to be much to shout about. It's certainly a bit more responsive than WM2003SE but I'm really not sure it's worth waiting for. There's probably a lot "under the hood" but from what I've seen, it's not really a big leap.

Edited by Guest

Guest beersoft

didn't we have the same chat last year when the C500 was about to be released?

i have hazy memories of people says "this c500 doesn't look like that much of a leap from the e200, it doesn't have any new features, its just a bit smaller and running the 2003 servicepack"

come to think about it, there was the same thing going on when the E200 and the E100 was released

and im still waiting to find out why wm5 is the mutts nuts, from previous experiance when microsoft release someting new in the operating systems area they break lots of littlie things (dos apps running properly in windows 95?, 16 bit legacy apps running on windows 2000, windows xp only running stuff you want installed, the gapi thing with the c500, toki tori anyone?) so are we going to have a shiny new phone with wm5 that nothing runs on? proberbly

rant over

later

Owen

Guest magic_peanuts

I definitely won't be upgrading to C550 unless it has WiFi. As has been pointed out many times, C550 really does seem like a halfway stopgap between C500 and C600. The media buttons are also quite annoying IMHO.

My next upgrade will either be an imate jam type device with built in WiFi and sliding keypad or a WM5 Smartphone with Wifi. Until one of those comes out, I really don't see the point in upgrading.

Guest chucky.egg

If it can't run my existing apps then count me out.

Waiting god-knows-how-long for developers to update their apps, then (probably) having to pay them some upgrade fee doesn't sound like progress.

WiFi might change my mind though...

Guest xerxes
Will all of my apps & games just work OK on this larger screen res?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the real question isn't it. Will all the games and programs that I've collected over the last 7 months still work on the new screen rez? Palm managed it (mostly) when they moved from 160x160 to 320x320. Psion managed it too back in the old days when they moved from Psion 3 to 3a and the rez went up significantly.

Perhaps some of the developers on this forum could let us know. Will Smartphone progs that have been built according to standards work on a QVGA screen?

Guest Pondrew

Although I understand the fear that QVGA will break all our apps I don't understand why all of a sudden no one sees QVGA as a big deal. I remember when the increase in res was announced and EVERYONE wanted a Smartphone with the higher resolution.

What changed?!

Guest harrelson
Although I understand the fear that QVGA will break all our apps I don't understand why all of a sudden no one sees QVGA as a big deal. I remember when the increase in res was announced and EVERYONE wanted a Smartphone with the higher resolution.

What changed?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nothings changed,. not at all. the problem is: the timing is just too bad. if i get this phone i still must get the samsung i-300 three months later. compare the two and u will see why people are holding back their cash.

plus, i heard operators wont be upgrading wm2003se to wm5 so that people buy the new devices. i wouldnt want to be stuck with wm2003se till 2007!

Guest beersoft

the sammy would be nice, but which networks are taking it?

i personaly am looking forward to the C550 as its hear real soon now (and i like the idea of qvga screens and most of the stuff i already have working on it), all this talk of the c600 maybe a bit early, as we have no specs, badly photoshopped images or anything.

we do have a choice, stick with what we have and miss out on the c550 in the knowledge that the C600 is going to be the phone to get and wait for september for the rumours about the c600 and the spv3g start comming out and then decide not upgrade at crimbo when the c600 because the C700 due out in the summer of 2006 is going to be better

lather, rinse, repeat

later

Owen

Guest shadamehr

Anyone know WHY they will be launching a phone with a 262,000 colour screen, if the software allegedly only supports 65,000 colours as at present.

Surprised this has not been debated in this thread, unless I have missed it..

a) Why put the 262K screen in at all if so, and

;) can this be hacked? And if it can, why don;t the manufacturers or MS sort it themselves?

Anyone knowledgeable got any ideas?

I retired my C500 over a month ago (hence my post count drop, but this time I have sworn I won't abandon the platform all together), and got a 6230i instead...

Now let me explain, before you all yell...

Its a swings and roundabouts thing... C500 has a larger screen, far more apps, proper calendar sync etc.

But it doesn't have decent Bluetooth file transfer (I mean where, when you are viewing the file in a Gallery, you can simply click and send it...) Going into the gallery to identify the file by name, noting the name, exiting that, loading up a THIRD PARTY file manager, and using that to then BT beam the file, and even then with only 95% sucess rate, is NOT my idea of anything remotely "Smart" in a smartphone. From playing with the Magneto Pocket PC OS, I see no improvement here - come on MS, where are you? This isn't just a gimmick thing - these devices are meant to be portable storage tools for all sorts of docs etc now.

And it doesn't support "notes" beaming - that is a simple and quickly typed text note, that can be BT beamed to another phone at the touch of a button or two... and even though these can be received, its again a faff to load a file manager up, have to browse and locate the rec'd file, and load it up then, in a format that doesn't allow ready replying back.

All in all, I'm sorry guys, but in one aspect - Bluetooth, Microsoft is miles and miles and miles behind - and I say that in full fairness, as WM5 seems no better (I've played with it), Phones like the D500 have full on phone OBEX support so you can actually browse the contents of other peoples phones (with permission of course ) to locate files you want, and all nokias have full headset and handsfree profile, so I can listen to ALL phone audio, sounds etc, over Bluetooth Headset (albeit mono I know, but handy for watching certain 'videos' in private etc).

Microsoft, Bluetooth and SmartPhone... it seems its gonna be AT LEAST Windows Mobile 2007 before they even come close to marrying those three things up properly.

So, clarifying again, the C500 has a MUCH MUCH better feature set than the 6230i, but the 6230i has a couple of features the C500 doesn't that 'for me personally' (let me stress that), are ESSENTIAL items.

I'm not extolling the 6230i as a great phone though - its not at all. In fact I just received a Sony Ericsson K750i 2 Megapixel camera phone on Friday as an O2 Online Upgrade for free...

And yet even that is getting sent back, because as cool as the camera is (and it really is, period, ALL other manufactures take note of this example of how to do things great with even a CMOS sensor!), the rest of it is naff...

I checked that it supported notes send and recieve before I ordered it... it does, BUT having received it, it transpires, not in .txt format, but instead as a .vnt format file, even though it can read .txt files back.

So its no use to me either.. And again, SE has great BT support, profiles on the phone etc - probably the most advanced there is now on any handset...

But despite Quickshare, they made a huge gaff...

Take a photo, and when it is on screen, the Send button only supports send via MMS - at least Nokia have a sub option to Send via BT...

So on a K750i, if you take a photo, you are back to having to come out the camera app, open the file manager, browse to the photo and THEN send it via BT... Certainly NOT Quickshare in my humble understanding of it...

What does all this rambling mean (apart from I'm boring as ever...?)

I think its relevant, in that I hope it demonstrates that the IDEAL PHONE is not out there, not in reach for me yet, and this probably rings true for most of us perhaps...

So ultimately, its gonna be a case of weighing up all the pros and cons, and then deciding which phone comes CLOSEST for you...

Sadly, all I am saying, is that at the minute, this amounts to a Nokia 6230i, which itself is simply the phone the 6230 should have been when it launched, nothing more, and thats well over a year old now...

Mmmm...

I need Nokia, or MS/HTC to deliver the killer phone....

Take the Nokia 'easy features' and luetooth, add in the Windows Mobile platform as the main item, and bolt on the technology of a SE K750i 2Mega pixel camera...

And wow... what a phone...

Add wi-fi too..? Crikey... Where do I get one???

If only...

Guest Paul [MVP]

Erm, I am pretty sure you CAN send via BT directly from the gallery application?

You select 'Beam' or something (don't have my phone to hand), and it shows the IR device and then the BT devices.

Can anyone else confirm?

I don't know how you've done it Shadamehr, I can't STAND the S60 UI!

P

Guest www.msmobiles.com

No Windows Mobile 5.0 :roll: , no deal :exclaim:

Apart from that: I still keep dreaming about MS Smartphone with built-in Wi-Fi...

Erm, I am pretty sure you CAN send via BT directly from the gallery application?

You select 'Beam' or something (don't have my phone to hand), and it shows the IR device and then the BT devices.

Can anyone else confirm?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup you can. And on the T-Mobile SDA Music, the HTC gallery application also allows you to transfer files using bluetooth.

Guest justsomeone

hello all,

..although it is a good looking mobile phone, i can't see myself ever going back to the smartphone format... especially now after upgrading to the spv m2000. don't get me wrong, i loved my spv and my spv e200, but let's face it, the screen will always be too small.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I disagree... I have an M2000 and a C500, and quite often find the C500 much better for some tasks than the M2000.

For starters, a numeric keypad and T9 just works so well IMHO.

I've even installed HTC Phone Pad on the M2000, but it just ain't the same ;)

P

Guest mavisdavis

I'll be getting one on its release purely because my 6yr old son Louis wont put my C500 down. Its never plugged into it cradle befor 8pm every night.lol

I need a new phone so I can play aswell ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.