C550, impresions

Guest the_ape

Guest the_ape
If you have media player running in the background and are, for example, reading emails, if you press "forward" does the screen cut back to media player or not? ideally you would be able to skip to the next track without going back in.

Also - joystick wise, will I be finally be able to play total soccer once more? Losing the ability to run diagonally completely ruined that one.  :|

Then again it probably won't work anyway due to the resolution change...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Media Player : It pops back to mplayer, so sorry,

Total Soccer : Works, Tiny screen.......

Beta Player : (TCPMP) Works have to change the screen driver though from GAPI to GDI

Guest the_ape

WMP10 synced fine for me (about 600mb of WMA's) I'm using SVR2003, Async 4, Mplayer 10 (build 370)

Video works fine as well.

Almost 100% sure that the tss noice has been banished!

Just tried a DRM WMA and that works fine......

Just noticed a nic shiny icon! (easy to please) there is an icon up top next to the battery indicator that displays inbound and outbound MMS messages! little box with and in or out arrow!

Edited by the_ape

Guest mavisdavis

Ape would you be able to take a screen shot of worms for meplease. I love this game and play it for about an hour a day. And how do ya test a beta of TT5 I'd be in for that

Guest the_ape

Here ya go, worms pic's (sorry about quality) taken on my xda2, please note, ALL games that I have tried so far that use the GAPI have the 'picture in picture' problem, but you have to expect that seems as the screen is a good proportion bigger than that of the 500's.

Getting on the test's for TT I'm not sure now, I got on back in the days of TT3, sorry

post-60020-1121292917_thumb.jpg

post-60020-1121293085_thumb.jpg

WMP10 synced fine for me (about 600mb of WMA's) I'm using SVR2003, Async 4, Mplayer 10 (build 370)

Video works fine as well.

Almost 100% sure that the tss noice has been banished!

Just tried a DRM WMA and that works fine......

Just noticed a nic shiny icon! (easy to please) there is an icon up top next to the battery indicator that displays inbound and outbound MMS messages! little box with and in or out arrow!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that, it may be a problem with my setup I will try reinstalling WMP and activesync and try again :x

Guest the_ape

Something else I have noticed is that Smiley Faces now exist in the character map, and when you recieve a text they show up :D :) etc.....

Guest DomConway
I think some games may need to be tweaked as they have changed the size of the screen resolution.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the resolution of the C550? C500 was 172 x 220 IIRC.

Guest atlantio

Does anybody know if you can buy this phone sim-free, so you can skip buying it on contract? I've seen a few of these phones on e-bay but I kinda don't trust that site... thanks!

ape, thanks for clearing up a few questions, since I buggered up my C500 with a downgrade / upgrade firmware the other day, I guess I'm given no choice but to buy a sexy c550 :D

DomConway, the resolution is 240 x 320 :)

Edited by atlantio

Guest peekie

one of the biggest questions is the build of the phone and that dreaded dust problem that has plaugued all the spvs so far , hopefully it will be the first dust free model or we will have another huge dust thread :) :D

Guest removed-2

I rang 150 last night and asked to upgrade - should be arriving Friday.

I have upgraded from a C500 which I love and mainly use a full working version of TomTom Mobile 5. Having read a few post it seems that Tom Tom Mobile 5 doesn't work on the C550 :-( Does anyone have any further progression on this as it might be the reason I return it (within 7 days) to cancel the upgrade and stick with the C500.

Help!

Thanks

Mark

Guest the_ape

The 550 as it stands will not run TT5 (or 4), however it will not be long before TT have an upgrade out to take advantage of the new screen/memory benefit's of the 550. There is work happening for it, however it's still not 'usable'

I would just keep you 500 and put it in the car and use that for the TT5 for the time being, the benefit's of the 550 outweigh the apps, whenever a new generation of SPV/PocketPC comes out it will allways take a while for the App developers to catch up.

I think a lot of the problems are down to the new version of GAPI that is shipped to take advantage of the screen, a lot of apps cope with this (making the apps appear in the middle of the screen with black box around the edge), but some don't.

Guest removed-2

Thanks for your reply! I think I will hang on to the C500 just for TT and wait for the update.

Also, do you know if the network restriction can be removed from the C550 using the same utility (on this forum) that was used to remove it from the C500? And on the same note, does anyone know of a twin sim product that will fit the C550 (not the ones that need your sim cards cutting tho - to nervous to do that!).

Thanks again.

Mark

The 550 as it stands will not run TT5 (or 4), however it will not be long before TT have an upgrade out to take advantage of the new screen/memory benefit's of the 550. There is work happening for it, however it's still not 'usable'

I would just keep you 500 and put it in the car and use that for the TT5 for the time being, the benefit's of the 550 outweigh the apps, whenever a new generation of SPV/PocketPC comes out it will allways take a while for the App developers to catch up.

I think a lot of the problems are down to the new version of GAPI that is shipped to take advantage of the screen, a lot of apps cope with this (making the apps appear in the middle of the screen with black box around the edge), but some don't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest the_ape

Ok, I'm a brave bunny so I tried an unlock, and........... It works a treat! used my work O2 sim in it fine......

Also dual sim may be a bit of a squeeze as the battery is even tighter than that of the 500's.......

Hope that helps.....

Guest Wastedyuthe

I know you have already commented on not hearing the 'tsss' sound yet, but before I shell out on this after already owning the C500, I would like someone to do some proper testing. As we all know there are certain types of music it is barely noticeable with, and others a lot worse. I have noticed it a lot more with Coldplay's latest album for example. What we need is a full proper test as I am sure there is a lot of other people out there who are fed up with this problem.

Guest Dr Who
I know you have already commented on not hearing the 'tsss' sound yet, but before I shell out on this after already owning the C500, I would like someone to do some proper testing.  As we all know there are certain types of music it is barely noticeable with, and others a lot worse.  I have noticed it a lot more with Coldplay's latest album for example.  What we need is a full proper test as I am sure there is a lot of other people out there who are fed up with this problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a whole thread on the tss noise which included a test file which highlights the tss if it is present. Can't remember the author though.

Guest Wastedyuthe
There is a whole thread on the tss noise which included a test file which highlights the tss if it is present. Can't remember the author though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and I have posted the same comment on there. At the time of that thread, the C550 wasn't available, so that's why this phone needs a proper listening to, to see if it's the same.

Guest koe_182

Just got mine also, very impressed.

anyone know if the OTA security unlock thing needs to be done? or will all apps work straight away? cheers.

Guest ah5150
do you know if the network restriction can be removed from the C550 using the same utility (on this forum) that was used to remove it from the C500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

--> Yup! <-- Apparently with only slight changes (as the post states)

Guest Dr Who
Yes and I have posted the same comment on there.  At the time of that thread, the C550 wasn't available, so that's why this phone needs a proper listening to, to see if it's the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess I was suggesting that somebody download the test file and try it out on a C550. Do you have the link to the thread handy Wastedyuthe?

Guest head3d

Does anyone know if there is a case for c550 yet? I got mine today and i alway manage to scratch my phones(dont know how i do it!!)

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by head3d

Guest Y-Wing
Does anyone know if there is a case for c550 yet?  I got mine today and i alway manage to scratch my phones(dont know how i do it!!)

Cheers

Bruce

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This one for the SDA Music might fit:

http://www.krusell.se/product.php?prodGrp=...t=1969&x=14&y=8

Otherwise give it a few weeks and an exact one from Krusell should come out. You can buy Krusell cases in the UK on-line at Elite Electronics, I got my E200 one from them. They are a bit more bulky than the average case but they fit like a glove and has kept my phone pristine :)

Guest Wastedyuthe
I guess I was suggesting that somebody download the test file and try it out on a C550. Do you have the link to the thread handy Wastedyuthe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thread is here:

http://www.modaco.com/Analysis_of_the_HTC_...se-t201124.html

although it is easy to find as it is one of the pinned threads on the main screen for HTC Typhoon and Variants

Guest zippy172

Burning question for me is data transfer speed... The C500 has a USB1.1 interface, well slow for transferring huge files. Does the C550 sport USB2.0??

Please, someone tell me it does...

Guest ptwilliams

Has anyone else noticed how small the font is on the Incoming Call screen on the C550 ?

Its just small black text on a white background.

Is there any way to change this ?