New SP5/SP5m ROM?

Guest gilesjuk

Guest roma0803
I have a Qtek 8310 (same as SP5m -  HTC Tornado) with a pre-release (and buggy - eg. no T9 predictive text) firmware version.

Can I flash this device with the i-mate firmware which I have downloaded?  I cannot join Club i-mate as i don't have an i-mate device, but I managed to follow the link earlier in this thread and download i-mate_SP5_NRE_1.5.333.0.exe - is this the latest version?

Alternatively, has anyone got more recent firmware that I can use?

Will

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you checked www.qtek.nl or www.qtekuk.com if they have a firmware for the 8310 online?

I don't expect problems if you load the i-mate ROM, both sets are the same so I guess it should work. I don't know if there's some sort of device check before flashing, if there is you can't use it. Version 1.5.333.0 is the latest.

It probably won't hurt to try the i-mate SP5 rom for the qtek, but i'm pretty sure they added a firmware check. Only the very first ROM on i-mate didnt have it.

It may not be the best idea tho, because you may not be able to flash it to qtek later. If you ever need to send it back they may be pissy about it.

You should be able to get the qtek rom from those qtek sites mentioned - thats a much safer bet.

The processors are not that different, both being based around the ARM 7 MCU / ARM926 core, the only difference I can see is a different GSM clock manager, the 850 having EDGE support. Not knowing enough about GSM coding I wouldn't like to hazard whether it would be compatible so you probably wouldn't be able to make a call but the phone would at least boot in theory.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GSM's time slot coding hasn't changed since the very begining. GPRS, EDGE etc only changes the way the data is encoded inside the GSM timeslot, and how many timeslots are used.

Assuming they use the same GSM baseband it should work, although you may have problems with data.

If you guys are really interested in trying it, i can get the OMAP hardware docs and have a look.

Guest willneale
Have you checked www.qtek.nl or www.qtekuk.com if they have a firmware for the 8310 online?

I don't expect problems if you load the i-mate ROM, both sets are the same so I guess it should work. I don't know if there's some sort of device check before flashing, if there is you can't use it. Version 1.5.333.0 is the latest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just realised that mine is actually an 8300 not an 8310, though I guess this makes no difference.

I have looked at the aforementioned QTek sites - there are no firmware upgrades available for these devices yet. I am using:

OS 5.1.70 (Build 14406.1.1.1)

Operator ROM (5.1.70.14406)

Microsoft ROM (5.1.70.14406)

I believe that this is a relatively recent build as it came right from the source.

In the version that I am using I can't find the file manager - a major problem as I want to install applications, hence the desire to flash the device. As previously mentioned, there is also no T9 (very annoying).

Another question - I have a GSM module in my car and have a separate SIM in there. I want to divert all calls from my phone to the car number when in the car but it's a complicated menu navigation process with the 8300 - would it be possible to write a simple application which gives easy access to set up / cancel a divert to a specific number? It's a shame that a divert cannot be set up on a profile.

qtek 8300 is the media version with the extra buttons..

You need to register at qtek.nu to see the rom files i think.. I had a quick look and the qtek and i-mate have different CLID's. You'll probably have to change these first to get it to work with the imate rom

Guest willneale
qtek 8300 is the media version with the extra buttons..

You need to register at qtek.nu to see the rom files i think..  I had a quick look and the qtek and i-mate have different CLID's.  You'll probably have to change these first to get it to work with the imate rom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks - I took a punt and flashed my 8300 with the SP5 ROM. It appears to have worked - though the media buttons are not functioning correctly (for example, the IE key brings up the contacts)...

Unfortunately the qtek.nu site does not have any support pages in English, so it's limited use for me.

If anyone out there knows where I can grab the latest 8300 ROM from then that would be great (or the SP5m latest ROM, rather than the SP5 version which I have).

Guest willneale

OK - am now onto the FTP site for i-mate. Both the SP5 and the SP5m appear to have 3 different firmware versions (all uploaded at the same time):

i-mate_SP5m_NRE_1.6.333.2.exe

i-mate_SP5m_RUS_1.6.332.3.exe

i-mate_SP5m_WWE_1.6.331.6.exe

Does anyone know what the different acronyms mean? Is one a developer version (enabling installation of unsigned applications) and one a consumer version? Which version should I install?

Help appreciated - I am struggling with the inability to install unsigned applications currently (eg. a fudge for Skype PPC on a Smartphone).

Different languages..

WWE:

English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Greek, Turkish and Czech

RUS:

Russian (PycckNN), Romanian (Româna RO), Slovak (Slovencina), Polish (Polski), Hungarian (Magyar) and Czech

NRE:

English, Finish (suomi), Dutch (Nederlands), Norwegian (Norsk), Slovak (Slovencina), Swedish (Svenska), Hungarian (Magyar) and Danish (Dansk)

App unlock procedure is here:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...ndpost&p=688648

Guest saldous

It is worth flashing my Qtek 8310 with the I-mate SP5 ROM? I've downloaded it but unsure if I should do it. I Currently have ROM 1.0.7.0. Is this the latest from Qtek? As you say the Qtek web site is not in English and useless!

Edited by saldous

Guest willneale
It is worth flashing my Qtek 8310 with the I-mate SP5 ROM? I've downloaded it but unsure if I should do it. I Currently have ROM 1.0.7.0. Is this the latest from Qtek? As you say the Qtek web site is not in English and useless!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have flashed my 8300 with i-mate's latest SP5m ROM image with great results - I recommend doing it and lots of bugs have been fixed, though my previous ROM was pre-production.

There's no realy chance it will mess up your phone, since the hardware is exactly the same, the install program will either work or not work.

The problem is that eventually they could put a check into their install program to see which rom you have. This will mean you won't be able to easily swap from qtek to i-mate as and when you like. So you could get stuck with an i-mate rom in your qtek, and they may get pissy about it if you need to return your device for repair some time.

If you are going to do this, i suggest you get an i-mate AND qtek rom without any check and keep it very safe.

If you flash with i-mate now, and the next qtek rom checks if u have i-mate or qtek, you could always flash it with the old qtek rom first.

I for one havn't seen any qtek rom files anywhere, but there is a romour the latest one contains the security and messaging pack (push email).

Guest roma0803
I for one havn't seen any qtek rom files anywhere, but there is a romour the latest one contains the security and messaging pack (push email).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WILL contain the security and messaging pack. MS will make in available in Q1 2006 and from there it's up to manufacturers if and when they make it available for endusers.

yes yes i know 'WILL' contain because its not been oficially released yet. BUT 3 different sources have said it is already in the latest qtek rom.

One on this forum, one on the i-mate forum and a third on some other forum i don't remember. Of course this is hardly reliable information, but what if it is true? I for one don't beleive it, but its down to the individual to decide if they beleive it or not. To that end, knowing this 'romour' surely has some bearing on this topic of weather you should risk locking your qtek to an i-mate rom.

Guest saldous

I'm still not flashing it until I get a copy of the Qtek ROM. If I want to sell it later on I may need to put the original ROM back, can't have a Qtek phone with an iMate boot screen! So until I get this I won't update. I've also emailed Qtek support for help.

Hi, i see the ROM is intended for the SP5M, i have an SP5, is this ok to do?

I have flashed my 8300 with i-mate's latest SP5m ROM image with great results - I recommend doing it and lots of bugs have been fixed, though my previous ROM was pre-production.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest roma0803

There are NO new ROM's available from i-mate, just the ones that come installed are also available for download. The ones installed come in three language versions, but besides languages, they're all te same.

Just to make that clear and to avoid rumours.

There are NO new ROM's available from i-mate, just the ones that come installed are also available for download. The ones installed come in three language versions, but besides languages, they're all te same.

Just to make that clear and to avoid rumours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm people in the other thread are reporting rom's from 1.04 upwards. The i-mate rom is v1.08... So yes it IS a newer rom for alot of people. Whats changed i have no idea tho - probably only bug fixes.

The SP5 (8310) and SP5m (8300) roms for i-mate are all here: ftp://ftp.clubimate.com/

The languages are as posted earlier in this thread. If you want to use UK english then pick the NRE one. It consumes LESS memory than the worldwide one, probably because the language packs take up less space.

Guest scrattyrat

Has anyone put a qtek 8300 rom onto a sp5m? Only i have a friend with the clearvue suite bundled with the 8300 that when i try to install on my sp5m says i need to upgrade my ROM - i assume to the qtek 8300 version.

Anyone tried this or got a link to the most recent 8300 (music bersion) ROM?

Thanks

I havn't seen any qtek roms at all. You could probably change your OEM string to get Clearvue installed. V2.41 from their site doesnt work on the SP5/SP5m but 2.3 and below does. It seems to do with their copy protection and not to do with the program itself.