Smartphone Game Emulators for C550

Guest Parallax20

Guest Parallax20
Ever since the e200, the hardware for the volume keys has been changed making it unusable in games. :)

EDIT: Parallax, saves are meant to be 136.8kb I think but sometimes your version (haven't tried latest but happened on previous so I assume still happens) creates bigger ones that seem not only to store the state of the game, but also the buttons that are pressed afterwards.

It seems to happen after saving and loading a lot, for example save sonic 2, go a bit further save again, go further til you die, reload, die again, load again and then it goes through the same process as before - going through the motions you did before you die (annoying). Saving it again as it does this stops the keys been virtually pressed like this.

I wouldn't mind that too much but a couple of my saves have become corrupted - a sonic 3 one of about 137.1kb which you load and it is just frozen, and a phantasy star online one which is a big bloated one, around 222kb which just makes the program quit when you load it. Anything you can do about this? Anyone else noticed it? I don't remember it happening on maxhs versions.

Posted below are a correct size, perfectly working sonic save, and the bloated phantasy star save. I've had a look in a hex editor for anything noticeably different but it's all random crap and I couldn't find anything. If you find a way of getting the ps save to load it would be good too as I hadn't backed it up for a while. :D

Anyways dude don't let that all get you down tis great work! Thanks a lot!  :)

EDIT2: Would it be a lot of work to be able to get picodrive to accept megadrive games via the command line? If not, I think that would be a good idea, then you could use smart explorer to make .smds open with picodrive and put sonic2 eg in you start menu.

Feel free to shout me down if I'm pestering you too much for new features.  :D

Jamma

EDIT3: (last one I promise  ;) )Just tried the latest version and it autoloads your save, any chance you could make it so it doesn't again, or include an option? Coz i prefer it to do a normal boot up, for sonic etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jamma,

1. I'm using the built in game save functions and all the game saves I have so far are around 137kb each. I've not encountered anything bigger so far. If you have, then it suggest that the size will vary depending on the type of game. I can't do much about it as its the default save mechanism and works fine for me.

2. I've not investigated command line options for the emulator yet. But it should be possible. Its definitely not priority at the moment as I'm working on some menu changes for PocketSNES and once thats done, I have plans to porting the VBAdvance to smartphone.

3. Are you sure you have the latest version? All roms now start fresh from load and only restore saves when you tell it.

Parallax.

Guest zetajunkie

It sounds great! i'm prolly retarded, but where are the files posted for testing? i don't see them listed in the post other then attachment id's

:)

Guest Parallax20
I tried this on the mio 8390 and it just froze.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you read the title it says its for QVGA hi-res phones like the C550 with res of 240x320. I think your mio 8390 has the standard 176x220 res. There is a working version of PocketSNES that I initially fixed to get it running on this lower res. You'll find it if you do a search on my posts.

If there is a requirement for it, I can recompile for standard res phones, but I don't see much point as the original releases of PicoDrive and PocketSNES already work at that res.

Parallax.

Guest Parallax20

Hi guys!

First off, I've decided to remove all old files from this thread and will now update the files on my original post. This is so I know that people will download the lastest version. So please refer to the 1st post for any updates. The files will have the date on them of easy of checking.

I've been tinking with PocketSNES as some of you will know to get the menu system working like it does for Picodrive. I have now got it working the way I want so please download the latest files from my first post.

New updates to PocketSNES.

- Menu options now work in game.

- Games can now be saved/restored at will.

- Application will now only quit when you tell it and not when it loses focus.

OK guys, I think both PicoDrive and PocketSNES are fairly complete gaming platforms in my latest releases, so I will refrain from doing anymore enhancements. (There really isn't much else to do to them :))

Don't forget to donate to the original developers. They've put in a lot of time and effort to bring these to you, so a little contribution will go a long way to maintaining open source development projects. As they say "What goes around comes around". So be good to them and they'll be good back :D

Enjoy the emulators!

Regards,

Kien (Parallax)

Guest Jamma14

Okay, guess it is just me...anyone else found a problem with the saving?

Anyway cheers kien, and I reckon you should set up a page for donations too; you've worked hard and the work is appreciated!

Jamma

Guest Parallax20
Okay, guess it is just me...anyone else found a problem with the saving?

Anyway cheers kien, and I reckon you should set up a page for donations too; you've worked hard and the work is appreciated!

Jamma

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the support Jamma. I haven't got around to settings up my website yet, but I will eventually. For now, the satisfaction of knowing my fellow smartphone users are enjoying my builds is good enough for me, hence the feedbacks. Sounds a bit corny, I know :D

Guest l2yuk3n

I know this may be a stupid question, but I have to ask. is the build that is currently on the first post of this topic the one for hi-res(c550 or better) phones only? or will this work for the c500/typhoon series? or should i be looking for the other one that you've posted? Again, sorry if it's been answered, I'm just kind of confused by it all. and I think you've done a great job. (all of you. I wish I could do this kind of programming =P)

Guest Parallax20
I know this may be a stupid question, but I have to ask. is the build that is currently on the first post of this topic the one for hi-res(c550 or better) phones only? or will this work for the c500/typhoon series? or should i be looking for the other one that you've posted? Again, sorry if it's been answered, I'm just kind of confused by it all. and I think you've done a great job. (all of you. I wish I could do this kind of programming =P)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have the C500 or similar, I suggest you use the other version I posted.

http://www.modaco.com/PocketSNES-t199883-s15.html

It doesn't have the extra fixes I put in to this version here but it definitely works. Give it shot and let me know how it goes.

Parallax.

Edited by Parallax20

I've got a SPC C600 and both emulators works great. I just got a problem with the sound on pocketSNES, even if I enable it, there is no sound.

Very good work, sonic in landscape mode is terrible :) !

Guest Parallax20
I've got a SPC C600 and both emulators works great. I just got a problem with the sound on pocketSNES, even if I enable it, there is no sound.

Very good work, sonic in landscape mode is terrible :)  !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sound has been disabled in both emulators in code due to performance issues.

Guest Excubator
Sound has been disabled in both emulators in code due to performance issues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any chance you'll release a build without this limitation? I know it'll cut performance, but I'd still like to try it out.

Great work (both from you and the original developers..! )

Edited by Excubator

Guest efishta
Are you going to make the source code available parallax?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the above will not be done, can you please release this to run in a standard WM 2003SE 220x176 res phone. I would like to see if the CPU adjustement setting will speed anything up in my MPx220, since it's supposed to have a rather fast CPU.

If not, how about the source as the guy above asked? (Frankly just releasing it for the standard res phones would suffice for me)

Thank you. :)

Guest kersley

Hi, i'm not able to pass on the landscape mode on the Snes emu, and i'm not seeing on the forum the updates done by Parallax20... :D Where are they?

Besides, thank you Parallax20 from all the smartphonefrance community, we got the news yesterday and and passing this great news to others. Great job! We were all waiting to see these emulators developped!! My greatest wish is to have a Game Boy Advance emulator on the SPV. Hope that Santa will hear my wish!! :)

Guest Jamma14
Hi, i'm not able to pass on the landscape mode on the Snes emu, and i'm not seeing on the forum the updates done by Parallax20... ;) Where are they?

Besides, thank you Parallax20 from all the smartphonefrance community, we got the news yesterday and and passing this great news to others. Great job! We were all waiting to see these emulators developped!! My greatest wish is to have a Game Boy Advance emulator on the SPV. Hope that Santa will hear my wish!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kersley, go to the first post, the latest files are there.

And I agree, Parallax if you do port visual boy advance and manage to get advance wars working reasonably smoothly, you'll be even more of a legend! :D

Guest Parallax20
Kersley, go to the first post, the latest files are there.

And I agree, Parallax if you do port visual boy advance and manage to get advance wars working reasonably smoothly, you'll be even more of a legend! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Believe it or not, I did try a port of the VBAdvanceCE and to be honest the performance was no where near acceptable, so I've abandoned the project. But I have to say if it did run well it would have been one hell of an emu. I have attached an early version here for those who are curious. Nothing works a part from loading up GBA and GB roms. GB is not bad, but GBA speed is terrible.

PocketVBA Test

Trying to use pocketsnes on c550. cannot get anything in any game to move to the right only the left. can get the other keys to work.

don't see any options to define movement settings.

I know the joysticks ok cause it works great on picodrive and every other game I run.

Can anyone post their key setup so I know what I might have setup wrong.

Ray

Guest Parallax20
Trying to use pocketsnes on c550. cannot get anything in any game to move to the right only the left. can get the other keys to work.

don't see any options to define movement settings.

I know the joysticks ok cause it works great on picodrive and every other game I run.

Can anyone post their key setup so I know what I might have setup wrong.

Ray

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Movement keys should be the default cursor keys. Try removing the registry key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apps\PocketSNES. And restart app.

Movement keys should be the default cursor keys.  Try removing the registry key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Apps\PocketSNES.  And restart app.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aaarrgghh !!

registry editimg ? on a smarthphone ?

Now you are talking new realms of unexplored territory 1

How does one do this pray tell.

All I have ever done I play about with editing xml files using orneta notepad to make new homescreens.

what do I use ?

Guest Parallax20
Aaarrgghh !!

registry editimg ? on a smarthphone ?

Now you are talking new realms of unexplored territory 1

How does one do this pray tell.

All I have ever done I play about with editing xml files using orneta notepad to make new homescreens.

what do I use ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, for simplicity sake, I've attached a slightly older version of PocketSNES that will allow you to config directional keys. But to be honest it should pick up the system directional keys.

Is anybody else experiencing the same problem as MrMond? Let me know so I can investigate it.

For those asking for the non-QVGA versions I am in the process of rewriting some of the display code which should hopefully work with the lower res. Keep an eye out for it. I'll update my first post with the new files soon.

Cheers,

Parallax.

I tried vba, thx i needed to reboot the c600, yeah you cant do a thing, i started with n&b gb it's damn slow even slower than with SmartGear with sound on SPV1 so i removed it

I could use the volume keys on PocketSNES but it only work on release, is there a way to fix that ? otherwise there is absolutly no way to use the landscape mode...