QTEK ROM Installed on T-MOBILE SDA II!

Guest mikefirth

Guest mikefirth

Hi All!

I "acquired" a Russian Qtek 8200 ROM today and installed it on my T-Mob SDAII.

I have set the regional settings back to being English UK and all is well, I can navigate the phone again, all the default stuff is there (with NO t-mob crap) and it is surprisingly quicker I am pleased to say.

However, I have a problem/question...when I write a text message I get Russian characters rather than English, I was expecting this because I assume I have a russian keyboard driver installed, can anyone supply me with an english keyboard driver with instructions of where/how to put it on the phone?

EDIT please read the site rules before posting.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest awarner (MVP)

I have not seen an English character set as a seperate install before. It may be worth trying an English ROM Unfortunately Qtek to not make their roms available without registering your device and so we can not give direct links and offers here.

Guest mikefirth

Hi There,

The English Character set itself is actually present, all menus and everything else are all now in English, fully working!

The problem is only the keyboard, when you enter text in to a number field, it is fine, but when in a text field, it inputs russian characters instead.

There is a utility (http://smartphone-software.penreader.com/InterKey.html) which allows me to use the keyboard for English characters, but predictive text does not work.

If anyone has any good ideas or useful info please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Mike

Also sorry I just re-read my own post above, I wasn't going to directly offer a link on Modaco, I understand the rules of such things.

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Thanks Mike, as Awarner said, no linking to or distributing roms through MoDaCo.

With regard the QTEK 8200 rom possibly being available in a European version, I'd be surprised given the QTEK 8200 was only ever released in Russia and possibly Asia.

Guest mikefirth
Thanks Mike, as Awarner said, no linking to or distributing roms through MoDaCo.

With regard the QTEK 8200 rom possibly being available in a European version, I'd be surprised given the QTEK 8200 was only ever released in Russia and possibly Asia.

OK Pondrew thanks for clarifying, sincerely noted...

I realise the QTEK 8200 was only released on Russia but hardware and (most) software wise it's just the same as the T-Mobile phone. What I am after is for someone who knows to tell me what files/registry settings (or even files) control the input language on a Windows Smartphone?

Ta',

Mike

Guest mikefirth
Probably a dippy question, but can't you set the T9 language to English from within the Messages options when texting?

Not a dippy question at all, I thought the same. It doesn't allow you to select a T9 language on the phone, assumably because it's been told not to, or only has one language.

However, I looked in the registry and set it there but it didn't make any difference.

There is software on the market aimed specifically at Russian language, because versions of smartphone software don't cater for it I don't think. I think what QTEK have done, is to take the standard ROM image and then "hot wire" it so that it thinks the English language is actually Russian, I belive the phone thinks it s "speaking English" but is actually using Russian instead.

If I search for 0409 on the handset (the U.S. English Microsoft code) on the phone there are several files (more than several, maybe 20?) which have filename.0409.exe.mui appended to them, so I am wondering if they have modified some files to Russian themselves, then just renamed the English ones as backups, I may try renaming a few files here and there to try and get the 0409 versions used, and hope that this puts some things back to English.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hey Guy!

I am new at this forum and the first thing that i read was that you now have a brandingfree t-mob sda2 ! but u wrote that one can just use the russian lang-pack... i come frome germany and i really understand only a little bit english (i'm sorry :)). so it is possible to get a german lang-pack on this rom?

Guest mini_man

Apparently its not possible to alter the language of the ROM without hacking the rom itself? so im afraid the answer is nope!

However I know someone thats currently developing a WM5 hurricane rom so there maybe one out in the next few months?

Sam

Guest The Doctor
Apparently its not possible to alter the language of the ROM without hacking the rom itself? so im afraid the answer is nope!

However I know someone thats currently developing a WM5 hurricane rom so there maybe one out in the next few months?

Sam

Not that we can distribute it through modaco though :)

Phil

Guest The Doctor
Did I say it was you lol?

Did I say Phil Modaco was releasing a wm5 rom?!

Lol

Sam

No :)

I'm saying IF somebody happened to produce a half decent Hurricane WM5 ROM then we could not distrubute it through MoDaCo due to:

• The Forum Rules
  • Microsofts legal stance on the subject of ROM's (especially the leaked WM5 builds)

Phil

Hey guys!

i installed this rom on my sda2, too, and i found a way to use ANY language in t9 which is originally installed on the t-mobile original rom!! but there is nevertheless the problem, that i need the original language menu file! i think its the file "mxip_lang.vol" in the folder /Storage/ but i find no way to copy it... maybe one can help me?

here is a screen where you can see german as t9 speech:

unbenanntyv4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest spitfire123123

hi

i have also successfully updated my sda ii to this rom, however i do not know how to change the language to english.

its still in russian, i appriciate that you lot are probably not russian, but how how did you know how to change the language?

ive installed the cab for english predictive text :(

cheers