Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 released

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest skimber

Working for me too on an MDA Pro (HTC Universal) with a nokia HS-12w stereo headset. However, I think i've just discovered an annoying little "feature" that could be what separates the UK and US version and I'm guessing it's something to do with international dialing codes.

Try dialing by number... lets say a typical UK geographic number with 01... area code. So we activate VC and say:

"Dial 01234 567890"

No matter how slowly and condescendingly I talk the damn thing will always say 01134567890 and then politely ask me if that is correct. I say no, it asks me to try again and I am hence locked into a vicious cycle.

Sadly I don't know many people in Leeds or it might have been less of an issue.

Let me be the first to report that Voice Command v1.6 works well on the Cingular 3125. :D

My 2700+ Contacts don't seem to present much of a challenge to it. It also doesn't seem to slow down the phone appreciably, even with my large Contact list. Very Impressive!!

I am happy to report that the 'Talk' button is mapped to the external VoiceNotes button. It's unfortunate that this button works ONLY when the clamshell is 'open'. Other options to remap to different buttons are available but I haven't tried them out yet.

There are some small issues and a few things that really need to be improved, like a 'flip-phone' mode that allows it to work with the shell closed. Even thought the microphone performance may not be brilliant in theory I bet it would work for some devices. It would help if it got along better with other notifications like Vibrate and ringtones and a few other things. And I admit, I'm dissapointed that it doesn't handle basic commands inside bult-in Apps like the Calendar, where "Create New Appointment" etc would be a HUGE benefit to non-keyboard equipped devices.

I'll try and do a decent review over the (US) Thanksgiving day holiday, but since I paid $39US to answer my own questions I thought I'd share the results as quickly as possible :)

Enjoy

MadSci

Guest PBratton
Let me be the first to report that Voice Command v1.6 works well on the Cingular 3125. :D

My 2700+ Contacts don't seem to present much of a challenge to it. It also doesn't seem to slow down the phone appreciably, even with my large Contact list. Very Impressive!!

I am happy to report that the 'Talk' button is mapped to the external VoiceNotes button. It's unfortunate that this button works ONLY when the clamshell is 'open'. Other options to remap to different buttons are available but I haven't tried them out yet.

There are some small issues and a few things that really need to be improved, like a 'flip-phone' mode that allows it to work with the shell closed. Even thought the microphone performance may not be brilliant in theory I bet it would work for some devices. It would help if it got along better with other notifications like Vibrate and ringtones and a few other things. And I admit, I'm dissapointed that it doesn't handle basic commands inside bult-in Apps like the Calendar, where "Create New Appointment" etc would be a HUGE benefit to non-keyboard equipped devices.

I'll try and do a decent review over the (US) Thanksgiving day holiday, but since I paid $39US to answer my own questions I thought I'd share the results as quickly as possible :)

Enjoy

MadSci

I have installed 1.6 on my Cingular 8525 and can activate the voice commands with my Jabra BT-500 headset, however, the responses are still routed through the 8525 speakers and not the headset...

Is there a setting for this somewhere?

Guest Shuflie
I have installed 1.6 on my Cingular 8525 and can activate the voice commands with my Jabra BT-500 headset, however, the responses are still routed through the 8525 speakers and not the headset...

Is there a setting for this somewhere?

Yes, under settings, voice command, notifications. You have options for only bluetooth, bluetooth if available and device or wired headset only. The second one seems the logical one to pick.

Guest NightFox
The calendar bug is fixed. There is a UK, French and German verison of 1.6 as well. I'm not sure why Handango has not released those versions yet.

Well looks like they are all there now - only trouble is although the MS pages have been updated to show 1.6 as the latest version, the "upgrade" link takes you to a page to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.5 - where's the upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6?

Does anyone know if there is a hack for this new version of voice command to send the function to your bluetooth headset that will work for smartphones? Not the Wizard or MDA....... but the SDA, I-mate sp5/sp5m or Qtek 8300 series of smartphones. I noticed that there are some reg hacks to bypass the voicedial on the other devices, but i don't see anything for these smartphones. I can get the voice command to engage by holding the comm manager button down for 3 seconds (using the record option for button config on the setup screen) but i still have to speak into the phone. Anyone have anything on whether there is a fix or hack regarding this issue???

I got 1.6 UK on an upgrade from Handango. Emailed their customer services (which was excellent response by the way) and they sent me a link to 1.6 UK upgrade (£9.99).

Edited by Rob.P

• 2 weeks later...
Try pressing and holding the volume up button for 3 seconds.

Try pressing and holding the volume down button for 3 seconds.

Try pressing and holding the wireless manager button for 3 seconds.

Regarding the Bluetooth headset.

1) You must install to main memory, not storage card

2) After installation, you must soft reset

Not sure about your specific headset, but typically press and hold the "multi function" button on the headset will initiate voice dial.

Eric

Great find. I was trying like mad to find a way to map the voice command to a hard key. It works by pressing and holding the wireless manager button for 3 seconds. Also, it works when the phone is keylocked!. WoW!

Guest its_all_good
Thanks for the advice....not sure I did anything but this morning it started working perfectly with my bt headset. Very happy. Only think I can't do at the mo is set it up to a hard button. Any suggestions?

Try holding down the Connections management button for a few seconds. THat works on my SP5 with the default 'record' button selected in the software.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.