The official Orange SPV M700 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest shadmonk

hi, great advice on the m700.

I have tomtom 6 europe on sd card.---- big problem is that it comes with no voices installed. it says u have to use supplied cd to transfer the desired voices (eg english UK, or english US etc) over to the m700 via sync cable.

I have tried this, but no luck...

any one had this prob?

I think this would not b prob with UK maps only as this would prob have UK voices installed already?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kame1986
kame 1986....... how did u resolve that problem when ur new no. was ported over??

1. Load up contacts.

2. Menu > Sim Manager > Menu > Tools > List Of Own Numbers > Edit #1

Guest Terminal
hi, great advice on the m700.

I have tomtom 6 europe on sd card.---- big problem is that it comes with no voices installed. it says u have to use supplied cd to transfer the desired voices (eg english UK, or english US etc) over to the m700 via sync cable.

I have tried this, but no luck...

any one had this prob?

I think this would not b prob with UK maps only as this would prob have UK voices installed already?

Hey shadmonk,

I have tom tom on my M700 and it had no voices, if you go to settings and then to tom tom + services I think its called you will find an option that says download voices, click on that and pick Jane and you can download here for free.

Guest toprobroy

Ok, here's my story for Paul (The official Orange SPV M700 Thread).

I need some info, which is explained at the end...!

I'm on my second M700 since having it new from Orange about 2/3 months ago, as the first one gave me problems in disconnecting reguarly despite being static in an area with no signal problems. Other problems I had with it were that when dialing some numbers (no particular number) my phone would hang. Also when using it with my Handsfree Pama Plug N Go Alpha 11, quite regularly, the phone would hang and the only way to get it to work again, was to take the battery out.

I've also seen the time on it either take ages to update, from being on standy and some of those times, I had to switch off and on again to make it right.

There's more, Frequently the Bluetooth settings on the phone would mysteriously switch off. So I had to regularly go back to them and switch them on again.

So all in all, very problematic.

Now I've got the second one, some of those problems disappeared, BUT my data did get corrupted on the Kingston Mini SD. I've lost useful information and now I've formatted again, the cards are ok, but I'm not confident that will last. On top of that currently, the camera intermittently mucks up. What happens is that the picture splits down the middle with one half being part of what I took and the other half looks distorted and zoomed in with a transparent bit accross the other half of the picture. Weird! It hangs like that as well, but ocassionally it actually works as well.

So currently I have a support call thats taken about 3 weeks to progress to a supervisor. This morning, I got the Team Leader, who is sending me £25 credit for new MiniSD Card, but the camera problem still exits I tell them and I understand there is a fix to the Mini SD Problem. All they say they can do at this stage is forward the communications to tech dept. This usually takes 3/4 days, which is why I'm unhappy and have had to wait almost 3 weeks now.

I'm telling them that on HTC's site, there is a Fix to the ROM, which MAY help and I believe, (somewhere) there is a fix to the Mini SD problem. So I would like to find out exactly where I can prove the MINI SD is known by HTC and that the fix exists. I know on HTC's site, the ROM update is there, but it doesn't actually state its a fix. It says, "New Features and Improvements" but as I've started an issue with Trading Standards, I'd like to back up my case with more info.

So if anyone else has FACTUAL info to help my case, I'd be grateful. I love the phone, but I just want it to do, what its supposed to do, reliably and not lose me more data.

Thanks

Edited by toprobroy

Guest kame1986

Please ohhh please tell me somebody has managed to get there M700 setup onto Blackberry Connect.

Spent over 5hrs trying to and no luck.

SUM1 Help...getting frustrated...

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Guest jdcampbell
Please ohhh please tell me somebody has managed to get there M700 setup onto Blackberry Connect.

Spent over 5hrs trying to and no luck.

SUM1 Help...getting frustrated...

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Can someone tell me: do ALL orange supplied M700s have GPS. I was just told by Orange that the ones they currently have do not have GPS on them. This seems unlikely to me and it wouldn't be the 1st time I've had duff information from them.

Can someone tell me: do ALL orange supplied M700s have GPS. I was just told by Orange that the ones they currently have do not have GPS on them. This seems unlikely to me and it wouldn't be the 1st time I've had duff information from them.

As far as I know, yes, but not with the software.

As far as I know, yes, but not with the software.

Guest kame1986

Just thought i would give the latest news.

Finally got Blackberry Connect working on my phone. Spent 12hrs trying to get it to work but now i know what to do and is only a 20min job ! :)

Guest Neil5459

As Ovie says, the answer is Yes.

Orange customer and sales support are so inept and badly trained that they still persist in either saying there is no GPS, or that only the Black ones have GPS (business contracts). So, if you've got a white one, paint it black and it will be OK :)

Only a very small number of prerelease samples were sold without GPS enabled, in February.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that they don't have the GPS Settings icon in the Control Panel; however, this is totally un-necessary, as the GPS works fine with default settings (COM9 at 56700 Baud). As Orange don't include any GPS aware software, it can be hard to tests. However, there is a small app called GPSInfo in the Windows folder which serves to show the GPS signal status. There may be a link to it in Programs, but I can't remember!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest graemem

Hi, I think that I have an unusual problem, my wife is killing Orange spvs at an alarming rate. She has had an M600 for nearly a year and has had to replace 2 as they would not charge after the batter went flat. She has now killed a third one and needed a phone for a trip so I lent her my 700 (only 3 months old). Guess what, she has done the same thing to it.

The batteries are the originals as supplied.

As far as I can tell, the charger is working, it will charge a couple of motorola razrs we have in the house.

The usb connections are working, checked them with the motorolas.

I haven't tried the car charger but I don't think it will make any difference.

I can turn on my 700 but it dies after 1 minute so the battery is not quite dead yet.

If I cant fix this myself its going to be difficult to explain this one to orange, they are both under warentee.

Oh, and don't bother suggesting killing the wife, I have already thought of it and have planes in place :->

Edited by graemem

Guest toprobroy

I would like to ask something about the M700, so hopefully someone can help.

I want to use the Voice Recording to make notes about Songs that I write, but the only way I can see this being done is in the Notes Application. The problem I have with it is that it has a limited time for recording. Is there a better way to do Voice recording.

Thanks

Guest OzzMosiz
Ah- OK. Must have been included with the later HTC ROM

I've just installed PDAVIETS Windows 6 ROM, gpsinfo isn't on there either.

Guest toprobroy
I've just installed PDAVIETS Windows 6 ROM, gpsinfo isn't on there either.

When I first had my M700 there was a link on the SPV itself, via OrangeWorld that gave a trial for GPS Software.

Mine worked with that, but I removed the trial software after it was over. I'm going to put TOM TOM Vs 6 on it soon.

Orange can't deny its a GPS, cos they give the trial with the Phone. If you can't use it as a GPS, then Call Customer Svcs and get it changed. I'm on my 3rd one in 3 months, but now seems fine. I think it has a later ROM on it as well.

Ciao!

p.s. This ASK Paul "THREAD" Thing, doesn't seem the best way to run a forum on a dedicated item like this.

Maybe the SPV M700 should have its own. I've set up a couple of forums on line and I'm just wondering about this idea.

Perhaps there wouldn't be a demand, but maybe on another Mobile Forum, there is a better way to do this, as this thread covers a lot of subjects about the same phone. We need them divided seperately I think, to manage and share info better.

Just my thoughts on this!!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

I love my M700 (god bless built in GPS!! :P ). However, I use mine for listening to music on and find that the quality of the MP3's is cr*p compared to the M600. There is no substance to the quality and the music sounds very 'treble' heavy. Has anyone else experienced this problem or found a fix. I have downloaded a number of different players but they all seem to suffer from the same problem. The best I have found has a very simple 'basss bosst' which is better but nowhere near the quality of an Ipod or equivalent mp3 player. I've also been out and bought an expensive set of headphones, with no improvement.

Any thoughts........

Nick :)

• 1 month later...

;) Could someone tell me how to set up WiFi on my M700?

I have a wireless network, but am unable to connect to it, I could be dong everything wrong!

I can "see" the network in the add new box, I click on menu edit, then connects to, "the Internet"

Then Shared, WEP, & enter the numeric network key (why can't it be a password?), key index 1, leave the IEEE box unchecked, finish &.... NOTHING!

I wondered if the wep encoding is different on the phone to the netgear wireless router, but it gives me no error message so I have no idea which bit is wrong.

Also I get constant prompts of other available networks which are secured (I have no chance there -I cant get into mine with the code!?) can I permanently delete them?

(I have no trouble logging on to unsecured networks)

Hope you can help

Edited by SELENE

Guest OzzMosiz

Selene, have you ensured the Authentication in 'Configure Network Authentication' on your phone is set to 'Open'? Also make sure the 'Key Index' matches your Wireless Router.

Selene, have you ensured the Authentication in 'Configure Network Authentication' on your phone is set to 'Open'? Also make sure the 'Key Index' matches your Wireless Router.

Thank you yes to both although I am getting a bit confused about the wep key: I know the one I have is correct as it works on the iJam windows mobile, so I wonder if there is some conflict between the orange software & netgear.

On a compleatly different issue I can't seem to change the items on my "homescreen" I have unchecked the boxes & checked the boxes I want, rebooted the phone etc, but still the same set if icons appear.

Hope you can help!

Edited by SELENE

• 7 months later...
Guest thecortex

Hi Paul / Everyone Im new only on my 2nd post whoot lol,

i have a question i have a M700 and its unlocked and had the secuirty polices removed, Its fully working on o2 now (YAY!) but i want to know if its possable to totaly remove the orange software (ie pictures and Ringtones and files) from the rom's, i have done the hard reset trick followed by the softrest which is brill, But what i need to know is there a second rom that stores this and if so can it be whiped and used as a new storage location?

Cheers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.