Virgin Mobile Lobster 700TV: £34.98 DELIVERED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest alanclose
No, the quidco stuff is stored in a cookie.

P

Thanks - to late for me, I've ordered and want it tomorrow but it seems others have had the same problem so hopefully this will help them.

Still a bargain at £42 - Thanks

Guest alanclose
Thanks - to late for me, I've ordered and want it tomorrow but it seems others have had the same problem so hopefully this will help them.

Still a bargain at £42 - Thanks

Anyone else have a problem ordering this - I got a payment refused e-mail and when I phoned I got bounced from customer services to sales and back again and am now awaiting a call from sales again -seems to be a problem with the lifestyle discount code

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Alanclose I had the same problem, my order 'bounced' and I got a call from Virgin. When I tried to order over the phone they said they knew nothing about the 20% :rolleyes:

This also cancelled my Quidco order (I had to copy and paste the Virgin page to the Quidco page to get the discount box) but they said as I don't need a sim card then that takes £10 off the order and as I have spent more than £100 with Virgin Mobile this year I am eligible for a £10 upgrade discount. So thats £24 all in (£2 delivery charge) and I get the 200 mins as well :P

Hi again Dr Who when Paul did his 'Ask me about the Lobster' item I asked about the licensing etc and Paul said when you start to watch TV it makes a quick GPRS connection but if you check your credit afterwards you have not been charged. As for using a different sim card I don't think that would work as they check that you are a Virgin customer etc when you acquire the license.

Guest cjgarside

Hello,

Well thought I'd grab one of these beings as they are such a good price. If I only use it for 3 months then thats fine. :rolleyes:

Although I got the 20% discount, I'm not quite sure whether I was successful in the quidco discount as well - it's not showing any tracking details yet and I have to wait until after 06/05/07 to make a transaction chase. Guess I must have screwed up placing the order even though I cut and paste the lifestyle url from the quidco page. Then again I am a Spurs fan so I shouldn't expect to much!! :P

Delivery is due tomorrow.

Made a quick call to virgin as checking some details and they were adamant that after the 3month trial I would be charged the £5 a month tv access charge but we shall see what happens.....

I need to look into doing some research on this phone now to see what I can do with it.

Edited by cjgarside

Guest Monolithix (MVP)
The marketing of this phone was the real disaster though. I haven't personally seen one advert for the Lobster in national press or magazines, let alone on television, and the only two or three ads I've seen for it have been very dull and uninspiring banner ads.

This phone was doomed to failure less because of its own merits - and although it's hardly the best euipped phone in the world, it does have mobile television! - and more because of Virgin Mobile's own failure to properly promote it.

Erm...the first advertising campaign for this handset had pamela anderson rattling on about how good it was!edit - of course thats not to say it was necessariky the best way to promote it, but at least virgin did try!

Guest dearsina

Anybody have a link to its specs? I just went ahead and bought it because my current SDA is so craptacular that I was considering leaving WM phones alltogether. Does it run a decent version of the OS?

Guest agent.m
Anybody have a link to its specs? I just went ahead and bought it because my current SDA is so craptacular that I was considering leaving WM phones alltogether. Does it run a decent version of the OS?

Release Date: October, 2006

Dimensions: 58 x 111.2 x 23.8 millimetres

Mass: 140 grams (battery included)

Software Environment

Operating System: Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone AKU 2.6

Microprocessor

CPU: 32bit Texas Instruments OMAP 750

CPU Clock: 201 MHz

Memory, Storage capacity

ROM capacity: 128 MB

RAM capacity: 64 MB

Hard Disk capacity: Not supported

Display

Display Type: color transflective TFT , 65536 scales

Display Resolution: 320 x 240

Display Diagonal: 2.2 "

Sound

Microphone: mono

Speaker: mono

Audio Output: 2.5mm jack

Cellular Phone

Cellular Networks: GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS2100

Cellular Data Standards: CSD, GPRS

Call alert: 16 -chord melody

Vibrating alert: Supported

Control Peripherals

Positioning Device: Not supported

Keyboard: Built-in numeric phone keyboard, 12 keys

Directional Pad: 5 -way block

Jog / Scroll Wheel: Not supported

Interfaces

Expansion Slots: SDIO, microSD, TransFlash

Serial: RS-232 , 115200bit/s

USB: USB 1.1 client, 12Mbit/s , USB Series Mini-B (mini-USB) connector

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0

Wireless LAN: Not supported

Multimedia Telecommunication

Analog TV: Not supported

Analog Radio: Not supported

Digital Media Broadcast: DAB tuner

Built-in Digital Camera

Main Camera: CMOS sensor, 1.3MP

Built-in Flash: Not supported

Power Supply

Battery: Lithium-ion , removable

Battery Capacity: 1150 mAh

Edited by agent.m

Guest Shuflie
FYI: Quidco is now down to 9% discount (instead of the previous £8).

Just logged onto my quidco account and you're right. Earnings are £3.87 from buying the phone, I thought maybe they had just taken their administration fee from the transaction. Looks like I'll be in negative equity with quidco unless I buy something else :rolleyes:

Guest nizmo

Just bought one, thanks for this heads up, I would have never known, Im going to have three mobiles now, lol

I will just use the 3 months and the minutes up, then put it on the bay

Guest Shuflie

Got mine through this morning and arranged for it to be unlocked through Virgin, do they even care if you've already unlocked a phone on the account you're calling in from? I put a SIM that I had from a previous unlock that I'd done for my sister in law. She'd bought a cheap SE phone for her Father at Christmas and I'd paid £30 on the SIM that came with that phone to get it unlocked him. As I didn't want two SIMs sitting around with £30 on them I just used that SIM in my new Lobster 700TV intending to have just one SIM that I could give to my wife with £60 on it. The guy I spoke to didn't even question the fact that the SIM hadn't been used since December and already had a phone unlocked on it. Hopefully the unlock code will come through without any problems.

Guest KrashedKid

I have to say i am surprisingly impressed with the lobster. tv quality is watchable and the dab radio is fantastic. my much beloved vario died two weeks ago, and my trusty aging c500 now seems a little bland. hopefully now with everyone snapping up these lobsters, new innovations will start being developed (i.e full screen landscape tv).

still haven't had a chance to check battery life, my house mate screwed up the initial charging period anyway when he tripped over a wire (allegedly). but i'm sure it'll b better than my 12 hour battery life on the Vario.

This should hold me through until the smart phone of my dreams come through around june/july

ok...i'm off to play with it....anyone know details on data charges with virgin? also...i topped up the 100 minutes but it only says i have 100....will it give me another 100 next month?

Guest Confucious

The 200 mins does seem to be 100 mins this month and 100 next month and it also comes with £5 credit.

I have no TV reception at all round here so it doesn't bode well for the train journey to work!

I think Data charges are quite high on V - might have to get it unlocked to use my T Sim in it ....

Guest iainmann

I've sim unlocked my lobster and using Voda. I put my virgin sim back in to download the TV licences but just keep getting a "check your connection settings" message. I put GPRS settings back to Virgin GPRS, but get the same message.

Can anyone help?

Guest colonel_butt
The marketing of this phone was the real disaster though. I haven't personally seen one advert for the Lobster in national press or magazines, let alone on television, and the only two or three ads I've seen for it have been very dull and uninspiring banner ads.

This phone was doomed to failure less because of its own merits - and although it's hardly the best equipped phone in the world, it does have mobile television! - and more because of Virgin Mobile's own failure to properly promote it.

I saw loads with Pamela Anderson. But I spent the time looking at her, not the phone :rolleyes::)

Edited by colonel_butt

Guest dearsina

I've used this phone for a few weeks now and boy is it better than the SDA II. If you're considering this phone, here are a few pointers (although I suspect a more comprehensive review can be found elsewhere on MoDaCo):

The TV

The TV works ok, I've only tested it in Zone 1 in London, but it works almost seamlessly even on the bus. I say almost because it does cut out once in a while, so perhaps not very useful to watch a thriller, but perfectly ok to watch a rerun of Friends. Having said that, alot, if not most of the interesting programming is actually blocked, so you get access to most of the homegrown stuff, but only a few bought shows.

The headphones

Another thing I didn't know until I got the phone was that you have to use the headphones supplied if you want to watch TV. That's because they're special headphones that double as an antenna, and if you use other headphones (Sony, iPod etc) you will not get a useable reception.

The buttons

I read a couple of reviews and didn't get why everybody kept complaining about the buttons, they seemed big and nice on the pictures. But what the pictures don't show you is that the buttons are very loose, i.e. it's difficult to push one button, and not move it around so much that is pushes the other buttons around it too.

Hope that helps.

Guest Shuflie
How to unlock Lobster?

Call 789 from a virgin sim that has had £30 put onto it and they'll do it for free, or else pay florin_m (www.imei-check.co.uk) £20 and he'll do it for you.

Guest storn
Anyone know how to get the virgin 20% discount and the quidco discount as mentioned in the first post

Hi it's very easy as I ordered Friday and got it today! Well all you have to do is to go to the link first from lifestyle and put item in the basket and add the 14000 code. Then close the page, open quidco in another browser and click virgin mobile off there. I did get the other discount but is only 9% of the value, so it comes up to £3.87. Therefore the phone cost me just over £39. On the sim I have received £5, so it takes it down to £34 :rolleyes: . If you are going to use the free 200 minutes they are actually worth up to £70, if you call mobiles that are not virgin, so basically you make money by buying this phone!

Guest mini_man

Just ordered this phone hopefully all went well with quidco and I should have my discount!

A worthy replacement for my C600.

Sam

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.