SPV E650 de-Brand + Fix Pack 0.5

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Weirdest thing just happened... MoDaCo member Looby (who lives just down the road from me, but i'd never met previously) just knocked on my door with a bottle of red wine, as a thank you (on behalf of everyone) for the debrander!

Crikey!

:rolleyes:

P

Guest furby
/me cracks open the wine...

Cheers Looby :rolleyes:

P

Starting on the wine at 5 O'clock. That's why you're our leader Paul :P

Edited by furby

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, if the registries tell the truth, it seems the build of XT9 on the S710 is 10 days newer than that on the Orange ROM.

I'll try porting the S710 version to the E650 and see if that helps... watch this space.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

First post attachment updated to 0.3.

In this new build, I have taken the XT9 core file from the S710, UPX compressed it down to 44K from 136K, and included it in the pack along with the associated registry entries. In my testing, it seems to completely resolve the install hang issue!

This new pack also prompts you to restart after install, YOU MUST DO THIS!

Users of versions 0.1/0.2 of the pack can safely install the new version over the top.

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

If there is an interest in it, I can post the fix as a 'Fix Pack' without the de-Branding... for those that like the Orange branding, but want the install error fix...

P

Guest paholman

In this new build, I have taken the XT9 core file from the S710, UPX compressed it down to 44K from 136K, and included it in the pack along with the associated registry entries. In my testing, it seems to completely resolve the install hang issue!

Users of versions 0.1/0.2 of the pack can safely install the new version over the top.

P

Nice one Paul.

That's done it. No more hanging.

Thanks,

Paul

Guest Paul (MVP)

I should also say Mucho Kudos to paholman for spotting the XT9 connection! :rolleyes:

Mucho Badness to Orange for shipping with the bug :P

Right, now who wants to buy a barely used SPV E650? Debranded and fixed :D

P

P

Thanks for the update !

Guest Looby

Does this also fix the other major issue of the E650 in that you cannot type the letters in dialogue boxes(ie text, emails and adding new contacts) without exiting and then re-entering? :rolleyes: This is particularly annoying with Satnav as you have to exit after half-setting the routing destination. :P :D

Guest paholman
Does this also fix the other major issue of the E650 in that you cannot type the letters in dialogue boxes(ie text, emails and adding new contacts) without exiting and then re-entering? :rolleyes: This is particularly annoying with Satnav as you have to exit after half-setting the routing destination. :P :D

With the quick tests I did, it did seem to fix that too. Not noticed those BUGS since applying 0.3 fix.

Guest Paul (MVP)
With the quick tests I did, it did seem to fix that too. Not noticed those BUGS since applying 0.3 fix.

Bonus! (not tested myself!)

P

Guest Samsonite

noooooooo!! would you believe it... i decided to install the 0.3 De-brand and install bug fix even tho i have never had the installation problem and for the first time i got the install problem!!! spinning wheel of death i think i saw it called here!!

had to pull the battery to get the phone back and that's where it all went Pete Tong!! When the phone finally fired up, half the icons were missing! No File Explorer, no actual apps available like IE, Contacts, Settings.... all it did have was empty folders for Accessories and icons for the DivX player i had on the Storage card and Pocket MSN i bought from Microsoft!!

doing a Hard Reset now...

hell.. just realised i've lost all my texts, e-mails, contacts... its gonna be a loooong night all of a sudden....

anyone know a quick way to copy contacts from a locked Vodafone 6230 to a locked E650 - a SIM swap wont work will it?

Edited by Samsonite

Guest Looby

The wine is open, Fix Pack 0.3 seems to have resolved the issue of texting problems. Yes!. Whole experience is far more responsive. Well done to paholman. How on earth did T9 lead to all this? Thanks again Paul, stellar work. :rolleyes:

Guest Looby
noooooooo!! would you believe it... i decided to install the 0.3 De-brand and install bug fix even tho i have never had the installation problem and for the first time i got the install problem!!! spinning wheel of death i think i saw it called here!!

had to pull the battery to get the phone back and that's where it all went Pete Tong!! When the phone finally fired up, half the icons were missing! No File Explorer, no actual apps available like IE, Contacts, Settings.... all it did have was empty folders for Accessories and icons for the DivX player i had on the Storage card and Pocket MSN i bought from Microsoft!!

doing a Hard Reset now...

hell.. just realised i've lost all my texts, e-mails, contacts... its gonna be a loooong night all of a sudden....

anyone know a quick way to copy contacts from a locked Vodafone 6230 to a locked E650 - a SIM swap wont work will it?

You should have left the wheel spinning and just switched the phone off. It can take up to 10mins but it will. It's pulling the battery that causes the problem. Anyway, look on the bright side, after a good hard reset and a fresh installation your phone will run better than ever :rolleyes:

Guest Samsonite
You should have left the wheel spinning and just switched the phone off. It can take up to 10mins but it will. It's pulling the battery that causes the problem. Anyway, look on the bright side, after a good hard reset and a fresh installation your phone will run better than ever :P

as luck would have it, i forgot that i had all my numbers on the Orange SIM but i had not been viewing that memory...

and yeah, no harm in a good clear out every now and then!! :rolleyes: (...must look into backup options)

now the contact issue is sorted its just getting all the alerts, keybleeps, screen timeouts, exchange settings, software installs.............

and T9 has got to learn all my swear words again too!!!

Edited by Samsonite

Guest Blue Bluderbus

Excellent work. Looks sooo much better.

I am, however, having the Tomtom activation problem that others mention. I think it may be to do with the app unlocking rather than the icons change. I have done a hard reset and app unlocked the phone, and then Tomtom asks to reactivate. I am waiting for the relocking code from O. I want to see if unlocking the phone, installing the new icons and then relocking the phone will fix the TT problem.

Guest Prof. Yaffle
Excellent work. Looks sooo much better.

I am, however, having the Tomtom activation problem that others mention. I think it may be to do with the app unlocking rather than the icons change. I have done a hard reset and app unlocked the phone, and then Tomtom asks to reactivate. I am waiting for the relocking code from O. I want to see if unlocking the phone, installing the new icons and then relocking the phone will fix the TT problem.

I'm pretty sure it's not the app unlocking. I didn't reset my phone before installing and it had been app unlocked since I got it. If I install the de-brander Tomtom requests reactivation. If I then uinstall the de-brander Tomtom works as before with the previously activated map. You can look at the Device ID with and without the de-brander installed and it's different.

Edited by Prof. Yaffle

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's weird, I'm not sure what could be causing it, but i'll have a play tomorrow.

Which version of TomTom is this with?

P

Guest Prof. Yaffle
It's weird, I'm not sure what could be causing it, but i'll have a play tomorrow.

Which version of TomTom is this with?

P

In my case it's Tomtom Mobile 5.2 with the UK map.

Edited by Prof. Yaffle

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.