Lend your support to a generic updater tool

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest nickcornaglia
Yay, AppToDate!!!

Boy, won't Nick (encece) be pleased??? That was his choice of name too, LOL ;) :wub:

Mark.

Just thought it sounded less professional than other names. That's just my opinion. I have big ideas for Paul. BIG IDEAS! Just thinking of the big picture. Of course, that's the big picture in MY MIND! :D

I would like to add support for this to Pocket Informant, FlexMail, FlexWallet, and Voiceminder. Where do I get the information? I am away at the moment, but will be back tommorow.

Guest Paul (MVP)

The full information will be available as soon as the first build is available, i'm gauging support at the moment.

Looks like it needs to be development at full speed ahead ;)

P

I would like to add support for this to Pocket Informant, FlexMail, FlexWallet, and Voiceminder. Where do I get the information? I am away at the moment, but will be back tommorow.

You can't add the support - it's up to the developer of those applications to add it.....you could send them a link to this thread (via their support forums or their tech support email address ;) ) if you wanted to speed things along a bit :wub:

Mark.

Funny, yesterday I added to my program the ability to request an xml file from my website to see if the program is updated... and then found this today. I think it would be easy to have both functionalities. My program could just as easily read the AppToDate xml file for itself.

This sounds like a great idea with lots of people already on board... I'm IN!

Guest nickcornaglia
You can't add the support - it's up to the developer of those applications to add it.....you could send them a link to this thread (via their support forums or their tech support email address ;) ) if you wanted to speed things along a bit :wub:

Mark.

My assumption is that he/she is from WebIS

Guest dan.ardelean

Very nice project Paul but I think it is quite a big project that needs to be sponsored in order to remain free and to be developed to a point that can be used. I developed such an application (never arrived at a final point but it is usable) for the application we develop in our company. It is a generic application updater with the client that connects to a webservice and if available any update from the current version it downloads the zip (protected or not by password) and executes the update steps with the possibility to roll-back the update if anything goes wrong. Every zip (update) that you download contains a file named updatesteps.xml with the instructions for the update program... something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

so you can copy/delete/rename/modify/execute files, but also to be able to modify some xml files or registry files (or anything else you might possible do when you update an application). The good thing about encrypting the update package is that only the updater program that connects to the updaterservice will know the password and will be able to use the archive.

Also I think that every company that would implement the solution would like to have the "service" in the house and also to have the possibility to personalize the way the service acts by writing plugins. In this case the xml that they write in your folder could contain personalized data that needs to arrive at the server, get analyzed and take some action - I am thinking here for a way of encrypting the license number and send it back to the updater service and in case it is blacklisted the plugin to stop the program from doing the update, or the first activation of the program on that PDA and if the client has one year of free updates to let him upgrade the program just for one year and then give him an error message that the free upgrade period has expired. All of these could be achived by making the update service plugable.

Hope I helped ....

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hi Dan.

1. The project needs to be sponsored to remain free - it is. You're coming to MoDaCo to get it :wub:

2. I'm keeping it simple initially - this is important I think. I'm designing it such that it can be enhanced going forward without breaking backward compatability.

The beauty of the design is that aside from writing and maintaining the core app, all the work of maintaining the 'application versions' is done by the vendors. A lot of work for one person to maintain a load of apps, no work at all for everyone to maintain just their own ;)

P

My assumption is that he/she is from WebIS

My bad.....still, an "I'm from WebIS" signature wouldn't have hurt ;)

Now that I look like a complete numpty, I'll go and watch from a safe distance :wub:

Mark.

Guest Thumper Net

If the application needs sponsering then that should be done by the companies that use it as it will be them who benifit from it , this will only be a good application if its on both platforms ppc and sp as alot of the applications are on both , one benifit for the companies is that if someone has pirate versions of their software and have your app on their phones it would be a good anti piracy app as well as the updates normally kill the pirates key numbers ect ;)

Guest LSmith4285

This sounds an awesome utility with enough support from the vendors!

One thing I was thinking is, would it be possible to set the program to only check and download updates when connected via ActiveSync? Not an issue for me but I think it would be good for people without Web 'n' Walk.

Also would it be possible to export the xml files? The reason being this could be an excellent way to rebuild a device from scratch! Install App2Date then import the xml files and let it automatically goes away and downloads all the apps you use, this could save us all a lot of time.

Just my 2p ;)

Looks like it'll be an awesome app!

Edited by LSmith4285

Guest PayableOnDeath

Sounds like a great app, cant wait for release ;)

Also would it be possible to export the xml files? The reason being this could be an excellent way to rebuild a device from scratch! Install App2Date then import the xml files and let it automatically goes away and downloads all the apps you use, this could save us all a lot of time.

my guess is you would backup the AppToDate folder which would contain the xml files then just restore that and then run AppToDate and have it install all the programs

Guest Paul (MVP)

Restoring apps isn't something i've thought about yet.

Doing as you say would still check versions, even though there would kinda be nothing install. Maybe a recovery mode?

P

I have to say this would be an awesome way to get updates done. I have about 20 apps on my smartphone and I don't always know if there is an update out. This would be very beneficial and has the potential to drive business for the developers. If say the current update is beyond the current FREE update then it could let the user know and bring business.

I would gladly use this option, anything to keep me from going to Handango for updates and having to pay $3 per app to Handango (not the developers) to get my updates. Personally I prefer to buy from developers directly and if I could get my update alerts from an app that would be great.

Guest pisquee

Get the support base going, and then see if MS/HTC/Networks will put the software in the ROM - am sure the guys over at XDA Devs will cook it into some versions.

My bad.....still, an "I'm from WebIS" signature wouldn't have hurt ;)

Now that I look like a complete numpty, I'll go and watch from a safe distance :wub:

Mark.

Typically, no. But when you're typing on a mobile phone signatures are a luxury :D I have been traveling for the last few days and so saw this on 4WinMobile via my RSS reader and just had to make a post.

--

Alex Kac

CEO/Founder Web information Solutions, Inc.

http://webis.net/

Typically, no. But when you're typing on a mobile phone signatures are a luxury ;) I have been traveling for the last few days and so saw this on 4WinMobile via my RSS reader and just had to make a post.

--

Alex Kac

Thanks for the explanation Alex!! I'll give myself a pat on the back for posting the details over on 4WinMobile - otherwise you might not have discovered AppToDate until much later :wub:

Cheers,

Mark.

Guest michehrlich

I would love that.

Obviously, it would need to be published with a list of which apps are included.

The major developers would need to be in -- SPB, the MemMaid people, SK Tools, etc. (WebIS as well, obviously, although I don't use their stuff.)

I would love that.

Obviously, it would need to be published with a list of which apps are included.

The major developers would need to be in -- SPB, the MemMaid people, SK Tools, etc. (WebIS as well, obviously, although I don't use their stuff.)

Just curious - any reason? I mean I know not every piece of software is perfect for every person, but we do try so I'm always looking for feedback.

--

Alex Kac