The 'I got my Vario III' thread

Guest rickyburke

Guest Zerodivider
I requested ANOTHER replacement as my box was trashed...

Same here mate, but surely that's the fault of the courier & not T-Mobile. Who guarantees that the same won't happen when you sell you "immaculate" box? ;)

Guest jamesd256

Got my Vario III after a monumental delay with Lynx. No problems so far. Everything has worked first time with no problems. I really like the form and weight compared to the Vario II.

Over all, it's in a totally different league. This hasn't been mentioned that much, but the camera and the speaker are so much better. I have taken shots which would have been black on the II, and came out not even dark.

For the first time, I don't feel tempted to load a horde of accessories to improve the device, as everything works in a satisfactory way.

Slingbox, Orb, Youtube, Tomtom, Google Maps all working well, if not flawlessly (hey, it hasn't crashed yet, that's good enough)

Looking forward to when the 8gig cards come out so I can upgrade my measly 2gig one.

Oh, and I won't miss the fat telescopic stylus either.

Nice one HTC.

Guest GordonTGopher
I think telescopic stylii are my pet hate :(

P

Perhaps the Vario ones hated themselves, that's why they threw themselves out of the holder never to be seen again ;)

Gordon

Guest Chrissssssss

I ordered a Vario III online today about 3pm (after ringing around a few local (40 miles away one of them) T-Mobile shops who were out of stock) and have a confirmation email about 5pm saying the phone is on its way. It says "Delivery will therefore be attempted Wednesday 0900-1800." Are they really that quick at sending them out? Tomorrow?

Guest Chrissssssss

Actually I checked T-Mobile's checkout page again and it says orders made before 7.30pm should be delivered the next day. Can't wait now. Not sure I will actually be able to use it tomorrow - might have to wait til Thursday to pick it up as I doubt anyone will be here tomorrow ;)

Guest Paul (MVP)

They'll take it to the post office then I guess.

Unless you have a friendly village postie like me who leaves it with a neighbour or stashes somewhere out of sight ;)

P

Guest Chrissssssss

Actually I'm not sure here. We've only been in this house for 2 months and not had any deliveries yet. Hopefully it'll get left with a neighbour then I can play when I get home.

Guest Chrissssssss

Why oh why do Royal Mail's depots have such short opening times? It's only open til 1 at the latest. Guess I'll have to go pick it up at 7 tomorrow. Should give me an hour of playing before work.

Got mine last Saturday and been busy playing with it since then! None in stock in Tooting T-mob shop so went to the Fonehouse in Wimbledon and as they didnt have any in the manager drove to their Sutton store to get me one from there!! Nice bloke, he has a VIII himself and loving it. We had a bit of a chat and he was fairly new to WM phones so I pointed him in the direction of MoDaCo!!

Was on U-Fix Off peak 25+WnW and when guy in shop rang up for me they wanted £180 quid for it!! (Said handset was £280 and I had a £100 discount on my account) So after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing through him I ended up changing to an 18 month Flext 30+WnW (first month WnW free) and getting the handset for £80. Probably could have got a better deal through retentions like I did last time I upgraded, but couldn't be doing with the messing around.

So far am liking it and not finding the jump from a smartphone to a PPC phone a problem. It's not too big for me after all - I did have a Lobster which was almost the same size as the VIII!!

Only couple of problems I have had is running Opera Mini. It still crashes on me at least every other day as it did on the Lobster. There is a weird keyboard problem that may just be me not being used to a qwerty keyboard. Every time I use the function key to get the @ symbol etc. when using Opera Mini the keyboard goes into capitals and wont get out of them and some buttons like the backspace key and the full stop stop working. Also if I'm using the onscreen keyboard in Opera Mini it won't disappear again after I tap on the close arrow. Only other gripes are that the scroll wheel is rather annoying for a right-hander, have got sorta used to the keyboard sliding out on what feels like the wrong side.

All in all a happy bunny so far!

Edited by bb79

funny you should say that about the jog wheel, I'm very right handed (as in, completely, not ambidextrous) and I am loving the jog wheel, never really thought about the left I'm using my left hand to turn it...

Guest Phil Lee

I find the scroll wheel to be perfect for a right hander. I hold the VIII in my left hand with my thumb on the scroll wheel. I can then use my right hand to control the rest of the phone.

Guest varioIII-lover

ok i want the stylus to have a hole on the top right side of the var3 instead of the bottom right side.

secondly, can someone tell me how to activate the phone from blank screen in a way that doesn't involve snapping the phone open and shut?

3rdly .. hi everyone!

x v3-L

Guest chilledatthebottom
ok i want the stylus to have a hole on the top right side of the var3 instead of the bottom right side.

secondly, can someone tell me how to activate the phone from blank screen in a way that doesn't involve snapping the phone open and shut?

3rdly .. hi everyone!

x v3-L

Ditto the stylii position! It would also be nice to have placed the power button ever so slightly higher up too...the number of times my left index finger has been scrabbling around looking for it to power the phone up is unfunny ;)

Guest Zeusie67
Hi guys, first time posting so bare with me...

read through much of the thread, especially the advertised 'free vario III' on web and walk/flext 30.

after downloading the advert which you guys posted on here i figured i'd give t-mobile a call (having earlier been told it would cost me 100 quid to upgrade when i first called)

Long story short, spoke to a really nice older lady who said that the advert had probably been a mistake (as it's flext 50 on the website i believe) but that she would honor it anyway. I even offered to send the article to her just in case but she said there was no need and that it was important to her that the customer was happy.

Previously i was on Flext 35 with Web and Walk (with 25% discount) paying about 31 quid

Now i'm on Flext 35 with Web and Walk plus (with 25% discount) paying about 35 quid and the Vario III (which is being sent by courier) is free.

I wish i'd taken down her name because she was really helpful and considerate and was all about the customer satisfaction.

So all i can say is that it _is_ possible to get it for free (random lottery of call centres non withstanding) and that the level of customer service i recieved was surprisingly good and made the whole experience that much better.

....obviously if on tuesday i get an old Dog Chewed Nokia sent to me then i may change my mind ;)

best of luck to you on the upgrade guys and thank you to those who posted up that advert,

J

OK. Here's my tuppence worth. Maybe a bit premature, but I'm oh so excited now.

I was sitting on the train home on Wednesday with my Vario II, and I spotted a bloke playing with his new Kaiser. So i struck up a conversation with him about the device and how he found it etc etc . I commented I was interested in it but had a few months left on my current contract, when he said that's a shame, as if i wanted it now there was an error in the October T-Mobile magazine where you could get it for free and they were honouring this if you were lucky

So yesterday, i nipped down to the T-mobile shop on Argyle Street, Glasgow and picked up the October Magazine/brochure and right enough, it had the Vario III advert offering it free on Flext 30.

Today, I got around to phoning T-mobile. I spoke to a really helpful Scottish bloke, told him I wanted a Vario III on the Flext 30 tariff and it was the deal from the magazine/brochure and he said straight away that he had dealt with the issue before, and that they'd honour it. He then commented I'd won a watch :(.

So I will be eagerly awaiting the postie in the morning, waiting for my new FREE Vario III to pop through the door.

:D

Edited by Zeusie67

I spoke to a really helpful Scottish bloke,

arent they all really helpful Scottish blokes?! ;)

Excellent out come though, lucky you!

Edited by lozzd

Guest Zeusie67
arent they all really helpful Scottish blokes?! ;)

Excellent out come though, lucky you!

Cheers.

It came this morning and I'm chuffed to bits with it!!!!!!

Works a dream! And with Paul's crackin' little cab's I've got it looking and working how I want it.

:D :(

Edited by Zeusie67

I find the scroll wheel to be perfect for a right hander. I hold the VIII in my left hand with my thumb on the scroll wheel. I can then use my right hand to control the rest of the phone.

Maybe I'm just contrary then! I feel like I want to lay it flat in my right hand and use my right thumb to scroll. Perhaps I'm just more used to one-handed operation having coming to PPC phones from a smartphone.

The keyboard problems I was describing above only seem to happen when using Opera and not Word or when text messaging. Anyone else been finding that? Is it worth maybe trying the beta of Opera Mini 4 or maybe trying the full Opera?