TheLostSoul's Thread of Tips

Guest thelostsoul

Guest thelostsoul
Your not supposed to delete the key, your supposed to delete the value of the key. When you delete the key itself you get just what you got, a 0KB filesize limit.

You need to go back to

HKEY_Current User → ControlPanel → Sounds

Create a new DWORD Value

Value Name = FileSizeLimit

Value Data = 10307200 (this is how I do this hack, simply add a 10 at the beginning of the value data.)

Deleting it works perfectly for me.

Guest shutter13

Deleting what?

The DWORD Value all together, The value data, deleting what? Or are you just trying to be an ass?

Guest scb7880

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? I followed the steps to change my IE home page and it didn't work and i can't seem to reset back to it's original page. When I now try to load IE, i get an error message that reads: "the page cannot be displayed because the connection was lost. Please try again.

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Guest thelostsoul
Deleting what?

The DWORD Value all together, The value data, deleting what? Or are you just trying to be an ass?

NOW I'm just trying to be an ass. :)

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? I followed the steps to change my IE home page and it didn't work and i can't seem to reset back to it's original page. When I now try to load IE, i get an error message that reads: "the page cannot be displayed because the connection was lost. Please try again.

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Start - Settings - GPRS

Highlight "ATT IMS" and press Menu - Delete.

That should do it.

Edited by thelostsoul

Guest davidguygc

For anyone who should happen to have this happen to them:

My Messaging button (the button at the botton right) for some reason stopped working when I pressed it. If I held it down, it would still turn off the screen, but pressing it would no longer bring up the messaging center. Anyway, what I had done was taken "Messaging.lnk" out of \Windows\Start Menu\ because I thought it was redundant to have it in there. Once I moved it back into the folder it immediately started working again. So here's hoping that this helps someone out.

Thanks for all of these tips!

**Only thing I still can't find an answer to is how to remove the built in java programs e.g. Myspace Mobile and all the other demos.**

--David

**P.S. - If you don't want the Messaging icon to be in the Start Menu, all you have to do is make it hidden, then when you restart it will be gone!

Sorry to slow the thread down, but I am new at this and can't seem to get the registry editor that I downloaded at the top of this topic to work. I installed it to device, and am not sure what to do next. I can't access it during activesync. When opening my computer and going under my windows mobile device, I don't have the registry editor options. I did install the unlock my phone file. Can anyone walk me through this. Thanks, and sorry for my newness.

Edited by Ken318

Thought I'd add a clarification on this tip based on some of my own tweaking. The value to delete will be called "Dll". If you delete that value, then the video is replaced with a default graphic logo. Annoyingly, during Startup the logo is displayed for a rather long time so getting rid of the video doesn't do much for you. However, if instead of deleting the Startup "Dll" value, you edit the Startup "Dll" value and delete the Value data, then no logo is displayed and the phone starts up much more quickly. The Windows Mobile graphic continues to display.

Note, that only applies to the Startup registry key. In the Shutdown key, if you delete the Value data from the "Dll" value, it causes a bit of funky behavior. Notably, there is no indication whatsoever (not even the Windows Mobile graphic) that the phone is powering off. It appears as if the phone locked up and is unresponsive, but if you wait it does shut down just fine. No lasting harm occurs; if it bothers you, then you can always go back and delete the "Dll" value entirely.

So, to get the best of both worlds, here's what I would recommend:

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Startup>>1

2. View the Values (Note: I use RegEditSTG, for other Registry editors this may not be necessary)

3. Edit the "Dll" Value and clear the "Value data" field

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Shutdown>>1

5. View the Values (see note on Step 2.)

6. Delete the "Dll" value entirely

Cheers,

I removed the value but then the resolution on the startup image ("Windows Mobile") is poor - it looks horrible. I want the resolution back!

Anyone jot down what the value for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Startup>>1 was??

Thanks.

I removed the value but then the resolution on the startup image ("Windows Mobile") is poor - it looks horrible. I want the resolution back!

Anyone jot down what the value for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Startup>>1 was??

Thanks.

Heh. I did, just in case I wanted to put it back.

Name: Dll

String: OemAnimationDLL.dll

Guest rmccracken

Edited:because I am a dumbass who skipped reading page 4 of this thread until after posting my question and then saw that the question was answered.

Edited by rmccracken

Guest su6oxone

You need an A2DP capable bluetooth headset first. Try this link for more tips on getting it to work, shouldn't be difficult.

bluetooth music

I would like to listen my WMedia player music in my bluetooth head set.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks

Guest thelostsoul

If you have a stereo bluetooth headset and it supports A2DP, your phone will automatically detect this and begin routing all audio to you headset as soon as you pair the devices.

However, if you only have a mono bluetooth headset (eg. it doesn't have A2DP; it only goes into 1 ear) and you still want to listen to music through it, then you can use Conduits PocketPlayer (not free; found at conduits.com), which has a feature which allows playback through mono headsets.

Guest Tzar007

I tried unlocking friends BJ2 (locked to Canadian Rogers carrier) with SN app unlocker but it doesn't work. "... not enough privilidges..." error. I applied it to my unlocked phone and it worked fine.

Then on his, we tried that secpolicies.cab but it didn't work either. RegEdit installation was ok, so we tried changing security policies manually but it would let us change # 1005, same error "... not enough privilidges...".

So far, no way to app unlock Rogers branded BJ2. Is this because it is locked to rogers carrier or something else.

Any help is appreciated.

Guest thelostsoul

As confirmed by Tzar007, you may now unlock your device using the update instructions, as follows:

NOTICE: Step 0 is ONLY for FIDO / Canadian users. If your phone is from another carrier, then start at step 1. For all phones, perform steps 1-3.

0. FIDO / CANADIAN USERS ONLY! Download THIS; extract the contents, run the exe, connect your phone and perform the unlock. Then RESTART YOUR PHONE, then proceed to the normal unlocking methods below:

1. ALL OTHER USERS: DOWNLOAD THIS (unlock patch)

2. Copy the cab to your phone and run it. Install to DEVICE if asked where to install.

3. Shutdown and restart your phone.

Guest jasonstarnes18
PRIOR TO DOING ANY OF THESE TIPS & TRICKS - UNLOCK YOUR PHONE!

This is not mandatory for all tips and tricks, but most will need your phone to be unlocked, so I recommend you do so. Here are the steps:

NOTICE: Step 0 is ONLY for FIDO / Canadian users. If your phone is from another carrier, then start at step 1. For all phones, perform steps 1-3.

0. FIDO / CANADIAN USERS ONLY! Download THIS; extract the contents, run the exe, connect your phone and perform the unlock. Then RESTART YOUR PHONE, then proceed to the normal unlocking methods below:

1. ALL OTHER USERS: DOWNLOAD THIS (unlock patch)

2. Copy the cab to your phone and run it. Install to DEVICE if asked where to install.

3. Shutdown and restart your phone.

Silence the camera shutter tone

1. Unlock your phone!!

2. Open notepad, click file - save as

3. Save the file as camera_shutter_1.snd

4. In windows, right click on your start button, press "Explore" and click tools - folder options - view.

5. Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known type" (do this for whatever file viewer you are using!)

6. Go to where you saved "camera_shutter_1.snd" and ensure there is nothing at the end of it (eg. remove the .txt if it's there)

7. Copy the file to your phone in \windows\ - yes to overwrite!

8. Go to your camera, open the Camera options and set the shutter sound to "Shutter 1"

I have installed that App Unlock on my device.

I cannot get the camera shutter sound to copy to the windows folder. It says overWrite protected or something of that nature. any help?

Also i have installed http://www.ghisler.com/ce.htm TOTAL COMMANDER to try and delete the camara_shutter_1.snd with no luck.

Please Help

Thank in advance

JASON

Edited by jasonstarnes18

Guest thelostsoul
I have installed that App Unlock on my device.

I cannot get the camera shutter sound to copy to the windows folder. It says overWrite protected or something of that nature. any help?

Also i have installed http://www.ghisler.com/ce.htm TOTAL COMMANDER to try and delete the camara_shutter_1.snd with no luck.

Please Help

Thank in advance

JASON

Immediately after installing the patch, did you restart your phone?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thelostsoul
Does unlocking the phone have any negative side effects?

The "negative effect" is that it allows you to install unauthorized software and permits modification of some system files. In other words, it opens the potential to damage your device, but nothing that a Hard Reset wouldn't fix. It's also difficult to really do much damage unless you're constantly installing random or illegal software or unless you constantly play with the system files...

So really, its nothing you should have much of a problem with...

Guest jonathanbaker1

Thanks TheLostSoul for making a fresh topic with tips. The last ones were dizzying. Keep up the good work!!

Ok this isn't really a "tip", just my 2 cents worth: I see there is still some interest in custom startup and shutdown animations. I spent countless hours over several days trying to get to the bottom of this, and ALMOST saw it all the way through to completion, and I hope that someone can pick it up where I left off and figure it out. Here's a cut/paste from the topic I started: the file which contains this goofy animation is OemAnimationsDll.dll

This is a Dynamic Link Library which windows will report as an "application extension". It is fairly large, at about 1.9 Mb. Now to open it up takes a recource editor, and I'm using PE Explorer (found here, free 30 day trial). Inside is 40 images. 20 for the startup and 20 for the shutdown, all in PNG format. Basically the images just run quickly (like a GIF animation).

So far, I've openend it up and exported all the image files. Having experience with animations, I had no problem making a good looking animation to my liking. After backing up the original of course, I replaced the 20 startup and 20 shutdown images in the .dll file with PE Explorer. Then I recompiled it with PE Explorer, keeping all the right filenames of course.

That's about as far as I can get. I've put it back on the phone, but it does nothing at either startup or shutdown. I know the filename is right. With the file in Windows, you can right click on properties and after a few more clicks it becomes clear that there is a Samsung security certificate installed on the original file... This is where I think the problem might be.

Obviously mine doesn't have the Samsung security certificate... but I was able to install one from the original, supposedly, but still doesn't work.

[edit] I put the factory AT&T animation back on it, and that works fine, so at least I know I didn't "break" anything.. [/edit]

Edited by jonathanbaker1

Guest jonathanbaker1

Here's a good tip for managing your contacts (download attatched .CAB). I put this together to help a fellow Newbie, and here is the final end-all solution to managing your contacts with Outlook, this is a two-phase process, read all the instructions. (possibly important, possibly not: i'm using the full Outlook that comes when you buy Office, but maybe the free Outlook Express that is included with Windows would use similar instrucitons) Now if you're like me and did not set up the partnership correctly or if you did not check the Contacts checkbox when you first connected it for the first time then you must make a new partnership with Outlook running in the background. Here's what I did to make it work: Keep in mind, the most important step seems to be having Outlook running when you first begin the partnership between your PC and phone!!

XP Instructions:

1.) Disconect your phone from the computer, but leave ActiveSync running

2.) (now ActiveSync should say "Not connected.") Now in ActiveSync go to File and click Delete Mobile Device. Don't worry, It only deletes the relationship, it's totally safe.. Now it should say "Not Connected. No Partnerships"

3.) In Windows, start up your Outlook program. It has to be running the first time you start the relationship

4.) Re-Connect your phone to the computer, this will start the ActiveSync and in a few seconds it will begin the Sync Setup Wizard.

From here you can check the boxes you want. Contacts, Calendar, whatever.

5.) Now it will be connected with a new relationship with Outlook

6.) Go to your Outlook window, and on the left towards the bottom you will see Contacts and there they are!!

Vista Instructions: The steps to follow are practically identical.

1.) With your phone disconnected, open up Windows Mobile Device Center in Vista.

2.) Move your mouse over "Mobile Device Settings" and the option will popup to "End a Partnership".

3.) Click this and select your partnership from the list (in case you have more than one mobile device) and end the partnership.

4.) Now with Outlook running, reconnect your device and make the new partnership the way you want.

5.) Now it will be connected with a new relationship with Outlook

6.) Go to your Outlook window, and on the left towards the bottom you will see Contacts and there they are!!

(((Some notes.. At first you will only see the contacts saved to your phone and not on your SIM Card, so you may only see a few in Outlook or none if ALL your contacts are on the SIM.)))

(((Now how to get SIM contacts into Outlook. Follow the instructions above and have Outlook running and you phone connected with ActiveSync/Windows Mobile Device Center. See below for the very small .CAB file (less than 10kb)))

7.) Now download the little .CAB file below and put it on your phone with ActiveSync's Explore function, or File Management in Windows Mobile Device Center. You can just drag and drop it from your desktop!

8.) Using the File explorer with your phone, find wherever you put the .CAB file (might be in \My Documents) and click on it. This will install the program to your phone.

9.) Find the program M2simcopy on the phone in the Accessories folder under the Start menu. Run the program and click the right softkey "Options".

10.) There, you will see the only command "DoCopy!", click it and in a few moments (give it a sec) all of your SIM Contacts will show up in your Outlook window!!!

Additional Instructions: Look on your phone contacts and you will notice that you have two of everything. No problem, just set your phone to display only your phone contacts and not SIM contacts. To do this:

11.) On your phone: click on Start, click Settings, click Phone, click All Calls, click Call Options, and in a moment uncheck the box "Show SIM Contacts" and click Done

m2simcopy.cab

Guest thelostsoul

I apologize for not adding your tips here lately, but my plans now are to create a website for the BJII which will display all these tips in a much nicer format. With school, it'll be a while before I can get it up, but I will sooner or later...

Guest jonathanbaker1

TheLostSoul

AWESOME!! You read my mind!! I'll keep a lookout for this! Feel free to steal some tips from www.BlackjackUsers.com but alot of the site is geared toward the BJ1 and so not all tips/tricks will be applicable to the BJ2. They do have some cool homescreens over there. I'm sure they would be open to the idea of a link-exchange too.