The official Asus M530w 'Ask Chris' thread

Guest Monolithix

Guest Montala
Montala, I have a copy of CP7 here. What is the problem you're experiencing, and i'll give installing a go and see if I can get it to work :D

P

Thanks a lot Paul... much appreciated.

Rather than repeat myself again her, can I refer you to my earlier post in this thread (No. 41) which outlines the problems I am still experiencing.

Basically though it appears to install OK, but will not then run at all. I have tried installing it both from the supplied micro SD card, and from my own card, prepared according to their instructions.

I am not even being presented with a license agreement, (not even at the installation stage) which apparently is one of the first things which should happen.

I would be VERY interested to hear how you get on!

Cheers!

Guest Montala
Good spot!

/me downloads...

P

Well spotted indeed... it certainly wasn't there the last time I looked!

Presumably you both installed it from a PC running XP rather than Vista, as it does say (rather surprisingly I thought):

"2. Due to compatibility issue, please use ActiveSync version 4.5"

I suppose there is just a chance that it might even solve my CoPilot problems... perhaps you could let me know Paul if you are trying it with this latest firmware update, or not.

Thanks again!

Guest Montala
Hmmm, having issues finding the microSD :S

Which version are you using btw? If it's older than 7.0.6.121, grab that here: http://www.alk.eu.com/files/v7/7.0.6.121.zip

P

Rather difficult to say, as I can't even manage to run it, to check the version. :D I only bought it last week though!

Interestingly though the above zip file doesn't actually include the file 'copilot.m6sp.cab which is the one the Asus M530W uses!

I did try to run it from the supplied card... without success, so what I then did was to copy the files to my own micro SD card, using their CoPilot Central DVD, which incidentally had to be 'patched first

I then (after registering & downloading the 'live' updates) followed their instructions to prepare my own card, all of which which I assumed would have installed the latest version.

Despite all this it still won't even run though!

All help & suggestions will be more than welcome!

Guest Montala
What would you expect the company to do?

Maybe I am being slightly naieve here... although I hope not, but I would expect that when a reputable company such as Expansys lists an item of software as being one of the most popular accessories for an item of hardware, they would have some proof that the two are actually compatible.

Perhaps they have actually tested it themselves, possibly they are relying on information given by the software manufacturers, or maybe even some of their customers have actually managed to install and run it!

If it transpires that that CoPilot 7 is not compatible wth my Asus I would obviously like to get a refund on one or the other... preferably the former, as there is currently no viable option, so far as I am concerned, to the Asus M530W.

In the case of the software... which ALK are stilll looking in to, it might be slightly more difficult for me to return it, now that I have opened the product and also uncovered the activation code... at the request of their technical support incidentally.

However I am still hoping that my problem will be sorted out... preferably sooner rather than later, and that I will then be a happy bunny once again!

Edited by Montala

Maybe I am being slightly naieve here... although I hope not, but I would expect that when a reputable company such as Expansys lists an item of software as being one of the most popular accessories for an item of hardware, they would have some proof that the two are actually compatible.

Perhaps they have actually tested it themselves, possibly they are relying on information given by the software manufacturers, or maybe even some of their customers have actually managed to install and run it!

If it transpires that that CoPilot 7 is not compatible wth my Asus I would obviously like to get a refund on one or the other... preferably the former, as there is currently no viable option, so far as I am concerned, to the Asus M530W.

In the case of the software... which ALK are stilll looking in to, it might be slightly more difficult for me to return it, now that I have opened the product and also uncovered the activation code... at the request of their technical support incidentally.

However I am still hoping that my problem will be sorted out... preferably sooner rather than later, and that I will then be a happy bunny once again!

I think the only thing you could ask for them is to take it back after you've found there is a problem, and if you're lucky, they might, especially because it's listed on their website as optionally bundled software. That did give you a promise that you would expect it would work on the device. I don't think however that they are obliged to take it back after, let's say, 8 days after you've bought it and not reported it to them directly, of which i don't know if you did.

Well, atleast my experience with webshops is that they are usually absolutely horrible in customer service, especially in these gray areas. Usually you need to pull a lawyer out to get them to do anything, if you can proof you're right. I do however have no experience with Expansys, so it's upto you to try to let them refund it or for you to accept the challenge and try to get it working :D

update:spelling

Edited by wapz

Guest simon211175

looking on Expansys, this isn't packaged as a bundle, just in a list of popluar accessories - which probably amounts to the same as Amazon's "customers who bought this also bought..." section. It implies that more people have bought this for use with the M530, but not that Expansys say it will work.

ALK's "Is my device compatible" page does NOT include this device.

I would however, expect Expansys to take the phone and/or CP7 (if you got it from them) back for a refund, as it does not do what you purchased it for. Perhaps however you should be considering that sooner, as nobody has been able to resolve your problem yet - no word from Paul on how he got on with installing it.

Shame if it doesn't work though, I have CP7 already, and the M530 looked like a good option for my new phone. I also have Route 66 though, so all may not be lost.

Guest Montala

Thanks for your replies guys.

I would however just like to clarify a couple of points.

Before purchasing CoPilot Live 7, I did in fact email ALK to ask them whether or not it was compatable with my M530W, and as I received an email back confirming that it was, I therefore purchased it on that basis.

Although I bought the phone from Expansys at the end of February. I did not buy CP7 until one month later, at which time Expansys were awaiting stock, (I think) so I purchased it from Handtec (GPSK Ltd) who have so far chosen not to reply to the two emails I have sent them outlining my problems.

Incidentally, I did previously attempt to install Route 66, but found it impossible to enter the necessary activation code on the screen, so that was reurned.

As I think I mentioned earlier, ALK have now escalated my case, and have promised to get back to me by the end of this week, so if I haven't heard from them by Monday, I shall be 'phoning them again... oh, and before anyone asks I have also reported my experiences to Asus, who (needless to say) assure me that the problem could not possibly lie with the phone !

I just cannot believe that somewhere in the UK (or maybe even further afield) there is not at least one other user who has tried to install CP7 on his (or her) M530W, as I am sure this problem is not unique to me... any luck yet Paul?

Thanks for listening!

Edited by Montala

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm having issues finding my CP microSD or i'd try it myself :D

ALK are generally pretty good, and i'm hopeful they'll sort it for you!

P

Guest simon211175

If ALK said it was compatible, then they must have tested it and the problem is more likely to be something wrong with the actual phone and/or version of software.

If anybody wants to send me an M530W, I'll be more than happy to test my working CP7 on it :D

Guest Montala
If ALK said it was compatible, then they must have tested it and the problem is more likely to be something wrong with the actual phone and/or version of software.

If anybody wants to send me an M530W, I'll be more than happy to test my working CP7 on it :D

Thanks for your reply Simon, but as you say, it doesn't actually appear on their compatibility list, and they did even try to advise me earlier this week that it wasn't compatible after all, (having previously confirmed in an email that it was!) so I get the feeling that they hadn't yet tested it specifically on an Asus. Hopefully though they will now do so, and will advise me of their findings.

I did try to run it again after updating the firmware on the 'phone, but with the same result.

Everything else seems to work OK, and my current thoughts are that it is a software problem, but I think I will wait for their feedback before doing anything else.

Fingers crossed!

Edited by Montala

Guest vincemod

An issue I've found recently with my M530w is that if I switch it off and on, it doesn't seem to pick up a network....if I then switch the radio off and on it then seems to work OK! Prior to this it wouldn't work AT ALL with an Orange SIM and I had to get a replacement in order for it to connect at all with the Orange sim

Possibly the SIM socket on mine is a bit iffy?? Never had this sort of problem at all with other phones.

Vince

Guest Montala
Mine doesn't work with an Orange sim either! Thought it was just the sim card...

That is odd, as I have had one working in mine OK... mind you, when you say that it doesn't work, are you not even able to make an outgoing call?

I am sure I have read somewhere that another user (it might even have been 'vincemod') also had this problem, which was cured when he eventually persuaded his local Orange shop to replace it with one of their newer sims.

My latest problem is that having tried, and successfully managed an internet connection with Vodafone, I am unable to do so with O2... despite selecting O2 on the auto-configuration screen, which does include Orange also, of course!

Is anyone else on O2, out of interest?

Guest Montala
I'm having issues finding my CP microSD or i'd try it myself :D

ALK are generally pretty good, and i'm hopeful they'll sort it for you!

P

You can stop searching for it now Paul, as ALK have finally managed to solve the problemI was experiencing with CoPilot Live 7.

What it appears was happening is that the program was trying to install in portrait, rather than in landscape mode.

I was therefore asked to manually edit a small configuration file, by just changing a '1' to a '2', and it then ran and installed OK.

A few minutes later I was paired up with my Emtac Mini-S3 which accurately pinpointed my location.

Although the problem shouldn't have occured in the first place, it is encouraging that ALK were able to offer a solution.

Edited by Montala

Guest Montala

No idea yet I am afraid, as they didn't 'phone me until late (6 pm) on Friday, and only emailed the instructions to me then.

The chap I am talking to is now out of the office until Wednesday, bit I will try and find out a bit more information from him, when he returns.

Presumably ALK will now have to modify some part of the installation routine to prevent this happening with similar devices. But it does at least look as if they have managed to come up with a 'quick fix', which is something I suppose, and probably more than I would have got from some companies.

Guest Monolithix

Yeah absolutely, credit to them for seeing it through for you! I was wondering if it affected other portrait Standard devices or if it was just the less widely-known M530, no excuse either way, just surprising we've not heard any other complaints (that i've read, it's quite possible i've missed some though :D)

At least its working for you now! Other than that, hows the device treating you?

Guest Montala
At least its working for you now! Other than that, hows the device treating you?

Very impressed with it , so far... I don't really think I can blame Asus for the problem I had with CoPilot anyway!

It is my first Smartphone, and I am pleased I chose one with wi-fi connectivity... I almost bought a Motorola Q9H, and am glad now that I chose the Asus instead.

My current quest is to find a network which will 'work' from home. I am currently using an O2 PAYG SIM but can't seem get internet access. Hence my earlier question as to whether you (or any other users) have had any success in this area?

I will probably move to a contract eventually, but want to make sure that I go with an operator who can provide the services I require first.

Thanks for getting back to me anyway!

Guest Metoo
Presumably ALK will now have to modify some part of the installation routine to prevent this happening with similar devices. But it does at least look as if they have managed to come up with a 'quick fix', which is something I suppose, and probably more than I would have got from some companies.

It's certainly more than you would have got from TomTom, whose standard response to any query is "Your device is not supported. Goodbye."

Guest Steve App

Ok, I convinced myself this was the right device and bought one to replace my HTC Touch, and I'm well pleased.

It's a great (not so) little device and does everything i need, and the keyboard is a godsend after 6 months with softkeypads.

I have a couple of issues however, that I'm hoping someone can help with...

I use opera mini 4.1 as a web browser, and using the esmertec jbed on the touch gave a true full screen, whilst on the Asus it doesn't - i still get a top and bottom bar from the operating system. I did a bit of reading around and tried installing a later version of esmertec, but that wont even run, it hangs half way through startup of the environment, never even getting to an opportunity to install Opera within it.

My second thing is tasks, on the touch I used HTC Tasks or X Button that closed apps I was using properly, is there a Smartphone equivalent. Im trying to search for one but find myself a little lost at the moment and cant locate anything.

Cheers guys

Stephen

Guest Montala

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the Asus M530W Owners Club! :D ... and to the MoDaCo Forums also, although I am probably too much a 'new boy' here myself to offer you any sort of 'official' greeting!

I don't think unfortunately that I am really going to be able to help you very much with either of the two points you mentioned. Inded I have often wondered myself how to actually terminate an active application, other of course than be using a built in 'Close Program' option, which a lot of them don't include anyway. I am sure there are other far more experienced users than me around though, who will hopefully be able to assist.

In regard to your other issue, could it be a similar problem to the one I experienced with CoPilot 7, where the program is in effect trying to install itself in portrait, rather than in landscape mode, do you think?

I am probably way off the beam here anyway, but is just a thought!

In the meantime, I hope you will continue to enjoy your new 'toy' anyway!

Guest Steve App

Hey Montala

I'm very pleased with the new toy, its near perfect for me... I have found a program I used to use a long time ago, oxios hibernate, that works perfectly for closing down all applications and freeing memory quickly and easily, so thats sort of solved though a more automated solution would be nice.

Not sure the landscape mode is the problem, but I'm not really sure, I will have a more in depth fiddle sometime soon and see if I can solve it.

Oh, for others who reported a lack of networks in the setup, when I first got it it didnt but after flashing to the latest version of the rom it had the settings built in for all uk networks, much easier to manage.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the Asus M530W Owners Club! :D ... and to the MoDaCo Forums also, although I am probably too much a 'new boy' here myself to offer you any sort of 'official' greeting!

I don't think unfortunately that I am really going to be able to help you very much with either of the two points you mentioned. Inded I have often wondered myself how to actually terminate an active application, other of course than be using a built in 'Close Program' option, which a lot of them don't include anyway. I am sure there are other far more experienced users than me around though, who will hopefully be able to assist.

In regard to your other issue, could it be a similar problem to the one I experienced with CoPilot 7, where the program is in effect trying to install itself in portrait, rather than in landscape mode, do you think?

I am probably way off the beam here anyway, but is just a thought!

In the meantime, I hope you will continue to enjoy your new 'toy' anyway!

Guest Steve App

Sadly it looks like im leaving the M530z club, much as I liked it, the little phone kept locking up a little, not everything, but the email locked and stopped recieving (my main use for it) and also the network connection didnt pick up after being in a bad area, so annoying really :-(

Sadly, im having to send it back to Expansys - will find an alternative :-(

Stephen

Hey Montala

I'm very pleased with the new toy, its near perfect for me... I have found a program I used to use a long time ago, oxios hibernate, that works perfectly for closing down all applications and freeing memory quickly and easily, so thats sort of solved though a more automated solution would be nice.

Not sure the landscape mode is the problem, but I'm not really sure, I will have a more in depth fiddle sometime soon and see if I can solve it.

Oh, for others who reported a lack of networks in the setup, when I first got it it didnt but after flashing to the latest version of the rom it had the settings built in for all uk networks, much easier to manage.

Stephen

Guest Montala
Sadly it looks like im leaving the M530z club, much as I liked it, the little phone kept locking up a little, not everything, but the email locked and stopped recieving (my main use for it) and also the network connection didnt pick up after being in a bad area, so annoying really :-(

Sadly, im having to send it back to Expansys - will find an alternative :-(

Stephen

Sorry to hear you are leaving us so soon Stephen... which network operator were you with, by the way?

I will be interested to hear which phone you finally end up with!

Thanks for your input anyway, it is always good to hear the views and thoughts of other users.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.